• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Insider Scoop on Navy OCS

scottwith1t

east coast
pilot
We lost our chairs before RLP....and then our R2D2s, war lockers, and chairs afterward.
i've got an awesome pic of our basically empty rooms

and now that i think of it, it was 21-08 who had the walk in the park for welcome aboard with 20-08's not being all that much worse. 22-08 reintroduced the total freaking beatdown session that was welcome aboard that the prior two classes had somehow missed out on.

CG_Luke

Sounds a lot more intense than CG OCS. Ours wasn't a walk in the park but dang some of these stories sound crazy!!

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
i've got an awesome pic of our basically empty rooms
I was actually disappointed to discover that living out of an empty room with just a rack and a seabag is a legit and regularly used punishment for enlisted guys living in the BEQ when they screw up, instead of the class team's own creation to screw with us.

I guess that's why the mind games at OCS work so well...we don't know things work normally.

Navy_DT

Those who graduated OCS

I have been reading up on some different sites and even watched these little videos about OCS... but I wondered if you had any words of wisdom you could share that might help those of us yet to go through... also Im just wondering- is there some sort of obstacle course, swim activities, some sort of "battle stations" as the enlisted do or any of that? What would a "typical" day look like?

Im new to this site so if there is another place where stories are shared (and I just havent looked) I apologize

Aircrew Instruc

None
It looks wet and sandy. If your a prior (I'm guessing that by the DT name) you need to stand up and be a leader. The DI's know who you are long before you check in and they expect the prior guys to take charge and lead the new guys. AS far as for swims yes there is a basic swim for everyone and if you have an air contract you will do alot more to prep you for the swims you will do in API. I'm a Pcola grad so I am sure there have been alot of changes up at Newport but thats basically what I can tell you.

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
Always think of the end result. If you are prior, don't take some of the extra attention you get from the DI's or Candio's personnally. Our DI liked to pick on them it seemed. It will be very uncomfortable, and don't give up.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
I have been reading up on some different sites and even watched these little videos about OCS... but I wondered if you had any words of wisdom you could share that might help those of us yet to go through... also Im just wondering- is there some sort of obstacle course, swim activities, some sort of "battle stations" as the enlisted do or any of that? What would a "typical" day look like?

Im new to this site so if there is another place where stories are shared (and I just havent looked) I apologize
Just put your head down and be ready to do everything you're told with speed, volume, and intensity, and you'll have no problems. Mentally, just always keep in mind that everything at OCS is scripted and regulated. The crap you're getting is the same crap that the class before you got, and the same crap the class before them got.'

You will do a 3rd class swim qual on the Thurs of indoc week. There are no battle stations or obstacle courses. A typical day is wakeup at 0445, RPT, regular PT, chow, classes, chow (maybe RPT first), drill (maybe RPT), classes, maybe RPT, chow, sweepers, practice stuff/study for your next major evolution before taps. But there are plenty of "atypical" days where you'll experience the SUYA, all sorts of mind games, and major evolutions. You'll also have to stand watch (2 hour shifts until candio phase, then it's 6 hour shifts), and the frequency will depend on how big your class is.

During week 1-4, throw in RLP prep at any moment you can inbetween the above.

Tyler

!
pilot
Contributor
You will do a 3rd class swim qual on the Thurs of indoc week. There are no battle stations or obstacle courses. A typical day is wakeup at 0445, RPT, regular PT, chow, classes, chow (maybe RPT first), drill (maybe RPT), classes, maybe RPT, chow, sweepers. But there are plenty of "atypical" days where you'll experience the SUYA, all sorts of mind games, and major evolutions.

During week 1-4, throw in RLP prep at any moment you can inbetween the above.

That's about as close a description as you will find of your daily schedule. Just to drill it into your head -- memorize your knowledge before you go. ALL OF IT! If I had done that, it would have made it 100% less stressful. You don't want to be up at 1am cramming when you could be getting much needed sleep.

That's another thing, get as much sleep as possible. You'll need it.

exo

That's about as close a description as you will find of your daily schedule. Just to drill it into your head -- memorize your knowledge before you go. ALL OF IT! If I had done that, it would have made it 100% less stressful. You don't want to be up at 1am cramming when you could be getting much needed sleep.

That's another thing, get as much sleep as possible. You'll need it.

What exactly is 'all of it'? I've studied the big 4, what else should we have ready to go on the tip of our tongues?

Tom

pilot
Contributor
14 leadership traits, ships, aircraft and phonetic alphabet. Make sure you have the senior enlisted ranks down cold. During my RLP I got asked to name and describe the insignia of E-5 through E-9 in the Marine Corps (that means 9 different ranks).