• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Insider Scoop on Navy OCS

Aircrew Instruc

None
Pickle
The reason you didn't DOR and just sucked it up and did it can be 100% attributed to the exceptional training you received your outstanding AW1 Aircrew instructor.:D

MrsPickle

MIT- Manatee In Training
Contributor
It's really easy for that E-6 LPO or Chief who DORs. Any junior or lower-ranking guy who questions them or starts making waves on why they DOR'ed from OCS, just gets screwed with extra duty, EMI, or perhaps no liberty or lots of night watches on the watchbill. It's how the Fleet works :tongue2_1

-extremely sarcastic and cynical Nick
Where did you pull this out of? Personally, I think you're full of shit. Lots of "night watches, EMI, etc"?

There is a big part of this that many of you are missing. For most priors, there is a spouse (and possibly) children. Regardless of how the Navy views you, there are people at home that are counting on you.

Here in Corpus (getting ready to move back to JAX), there are several prior's wives. Many of us dealt with a big part of our pregnancies without our husbands, not knowing what was going on or whether they were going to make it.

For Pickle, in my eyes, quitting was not an option (as he said). This was Pickle living his dream, and he damn well had better excel at it.

There are expectations, when you're prior. There are seasoned officers that put their name behind you. These guys do not give that lightly.

I don't know where you get your gouge, but I can guarantee that it's not "that easy" to go back to the fleet.

nickUSN said:
Not really, when they go back to the Fleet, they'll tell all their peers and subordinates in their division about how they got "hurt" or "NPQ" or had "family issues". In fact, their several weeks/days/hours spent at OCS will give them a 1-up over their peers in terms of experience/accomplishment, cause when you think about it, it's hard as hell to get selected from the enlisted side in the first place.

It's swept underneath the rug and they continue on with their job, no harm done.
Refer to the conversation in this thread, regarding the two types of "respect."

To the original author of this thread: I respect that you said that you weren't 100% into it. That takes insight. To admit it here, that takes balls. +1 to you
Good luck in China. You're going to do well.

utak

I think you have taken my post out of context, thinking I was serious when I was actually not.

But you are right about me being full of "shit", my avatar is a Shitbird afterall!

MrsPickle

MIT- Manatee In Training
Contributor
If said instructor would have seen you as he got out of the van for indoc. Said instructor would have said damn karma is a bitch.
That would've been FRIGGIN' AWESOME! Glad you made it through, too, "Aircrew Instructor" ;)

NickUSN- You didn't use NEARLY enough smileys, then! :eek: lol

Omni

Wife of an OC
OCS Week by Week / Schedule / Outline

Let me first say that I searched google and spent about an hour and a half using the search function on AW and the only thing I got was a VERY detailed and informative website that was also, unfortunately, outdated. The gentleman that wrote it had his OCS experience in 2001. Here is the website: http://www.heathalvarez.com/hobbies/ocs.html

I was wondering if there was a general outline of what candidates do week by week at OCS or if this article I found was still relevant. I don't know if the program has changed scince this guy had his experience.

The only thing I really know is they have an in-PRT their first week and if they don't pass they roll into H-class. I was curious about curriculum, liberties/priveledges (like phone use and going out to their car), PT, just basically a week by week outline of what goes on during OCS. I was also curius about weekends (if anything is different; I assumed there was a different schedule on Saturday and Sunday) and if anyone had any insight on being at OCS during Thanksgiving and Christmas/New Years. I'm asking a lot here but if there was a breakdown of what happens during indoc week I would appreciate some words of wisdom or a website link or something. Like I already stated, I have used the search function and I'm sure this infomation has been discussed at length but I couldn't find anything like what I'm asking or if I did it was information from about 8 years ago and I'm not sure if it is still relevant. Thank you in advance.

*I'm really hoping to not get ripped apart because I may have used the wrong keywords when I searched or because I missed something :(*

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
You will be busy as hell at LEAST until the RLP (first big inspection in, I believe, week 3) which basically is the biggest hurdle between the beginning and graduation, in terms of opportunities for the staff to get rid of you. Your time before academics will be spent getting PTed and preparing for RLP.

Workweeks are Monday-Saturday.

Reveille, PT every morning, chow, beatings (PT), briefings, RLP prep, more beatings, Chow, briefings/RLP prep/Drill, Chow, RLP prep, taps.

That's about it until academics. THen just sub in academics during the normal Beating and RLP prep times (you will still get PTed a LOT during academics, just in between classes).

Saturdays tend to be "easier" than the weekdays and sundays you shouldn't even see your DI, although you may but you won't get PTed a lot sunday (no formal PT in the mornings either). You have the option of going to church or just staying in the community center and relaxing and eating donuts/whatever. That was Pensacola, I'll let a Newport guy fill you in on sundays.

As for a play-by-play schedule, don't bother. It won't help. It's no big secret, but knowing what's coming isn't going to make it any easier. It will just give you crap to think about. Take it one day at a time, and inch your way to your butter bars. Thinking about the next 12 weeks is a sure fire way to get you depressed and ready to press the DOR button.

Relax, take a deep breath and plunge into the suck.... the water's fine.

Omni

Wife of an OC
Actually, it is my husband that is going through this and I was trying to get an idea of what he would be going through. He reported this past Sunday on October 19. This information helps in writing letters and in keeping the family updated with his progress. Plus, I am genuinely curious about what goes on and I'd like to have an idea of what he might be doing day to day and week to week. (I think this next part may be a little sappy) Having an idea of what he is going through and what he is doing at any particular point in the day makes the separation and not having any news from him a little easier.

Thank you for the response!

exo

I had a really really great up to date guide from a reporter that followed a class along. It's book marked at home which I won't be able to get at until friday. I'll post it then.

red_ryder

None
LEARN HOW TO USE THE DAMN SEARCH FUNCTION!!1

Just kidding. You know, all you really have to know about OCS is that indoc week really sucks. It was kind of a blur though, which helps you forget it at the end. The details of the schedule are inconsequential on hindsight, and do trust us when we say not to worry about it in the grand scheme of things.

All you need to do is make sure you're available for the phone calls on sunday, and write back to the letters.

m0tbaillie

Former SWO
I had a really really great up to date guide from a reporter that followed a class along. It's book marked at home which I won't be able to get at until friday. I'll post it then.

http://www.projo.com/extra/2008/ocs/

My mental preparations for OCS consist of choosing the most evil of two evils at every given opportunity.

Run in the rain, run inside? Rain.

Run in the snow/sleet, run inside? Sleet.

Hungover: run, don't run? Run, puke if need be.

etc.

Omni

Wife of an OC
Oh awesome link! I'm at work right now (no sound) so I'll have to watch it tonight. I saw the Carrier series on the PBS site and I thought it was amazing and very enjoyable; this looks kind of similar.

EDIT: Oh, it isn't a video documentary! (At least not completely.)

badger16

None
It depends a lot on your class team. With the DI I had, I didn't see Liberty until the weekend I became a Jr Candi- O. The only off base liberty I got was the Weekend before I graduated. Some classes get liberty right after RLP. As far as week to week, Otto hit it pretty much on the head. Hope that projo site helps also. I know it was nice after my family had seen that series to be able to go a little more in depth with things when I was on the phone with them. They understood a little bit of what I was going through...A very little bit:D