• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Insider Scoop on Navy OCS

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Oh awesome link! I'm at work right now (no sound) so I'll have to watch it tonight. I saw the Carrier series on the PBS site and I thought it was amazing and very enjoyable; this looks kind of similar.

EDIT: Oh, it isn't a video documentary! (At least not completely.)
You can watch/read all the stuff in the world, and you wouldn't know what OCS is like 'till you're living it.

Having said that, just know that your husband is in the care of some of the best DIs the country has to offer, and that they always have the safety and well-being of the candidates in their minds (even though it doesn't seem like it while you're there).

Omni

Wife of an OC
Oh believe me, I KNOW I have no clue what he is going through and I don't try to pretend like I understand. I just want to try and get as much information about what he is doing as I can. It helps to imagine what activities he could be doing at any particular point in time and it's comforting to know that he is safe and in the best hands.

stalk

Lobster's Pop
pilot
Well done Omni. The fact that you are interested in what your husband is going through right now says a lot about you and your relationship. You can be a great source of comfort and/or a sounding board when (not if) he has one of those bad days. Good Luck to both of you.

loveflyingpigz

Thanks so much for asking these questions Omni, I was just thinking on the way to work this morning how I wanted to ask the same questions!!! When I talk to DB I want to be able to ask about everything and be able to support him through all of this!

BackOrdered

Contributor
"The nightmare is over" OR "I graduated from OCS finally

1. No it wasn't what I expected, this despite the time I spent on this site and 2 years of BDCP prep.
2. RLP is more wretched an evolution than I thought.
3. Nothing I did prepared me for the beat downs especially those from my DI: "The Destroyer."
4. It just largely sucks to be there. My BDCP money was earned with interest (especially with all those beat downs)

Many things about the program has changed in my time there. RLP is getting easier and easier. No more officer portion and generally more people are passing. 8th week PI is now the Officer portion of the former RLP. The In PRT now requires Candios to demonstrate the exercises to the indocs and the run is on the track rather than the street. Oh, and Bear crawls are gone! Yes gone as in banned. If you are BDCP and you are at home practicing bear crawls, stop. They are now replaced with the dreaded and to me far more painful "bunny hop." PRACTICE THOSE!! The rest, as always, is a surprise.

PM me up-in-comers if you have any questions and good luck

BackOrdered

Contributor
If you don't mind, describe how the bunny hops are done.

They are also called star jumpers. You squat down, knees bent, and leap into the air, arms up, like a frog, and back into the starting position, over and over. Even my DI admitted they are worse than bear crawls and the regiment as a whole hates them because no one is conditioned at the moment for them, even the candios.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Congrats, bud! Welcome to the club. Now you're just a shitty ENS like the rest of us. :D

And yes, star-jumpers will make your fucking heart pop.

BackOrdered

Contributor
I heard a rumor that they don't do bear crawls anymore? Wtf?

So you coming down to Pcola?

1. Yep, no more bear crawling. The real question is who was the last candidate in the regiment to do one.
2. No Pcola for me as i am a Supply weenie. But this site has been extremely helpful all the same.

S.O.B.

pilot
1. Yep, no more bear crawling. The real question is who was the last candidate in the regiment to do one.
2. No Pcola for me as i am a Supply weenie. But this site has been extremely helpful all the same.

Do you guys still go to Athens?

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
2. RLP is more wretched an evolution than I thought.
True, but looking back, ain't it one of the funniest moments of your life?

Btw, do you know why they nixed bear crawls? They sucked at first, but I definitely attribute a significant part of my run improvement to them.

Congrats on commissioning.

BackOrdered

Contributor
True, but looking back, ain't it one of the funniest moments of your life?

I hated RLP. I failed it 3 times and got caught in a 2 month roll cycle which for 3 failures shouldn't have happened. That earned me my class nickname.

But yeah, the only funny thing about RLP was that I was a part of the class that received the 10:00 to dinner chow beating for a 0% pass rate. I rolled out and said class went on to become an honor class. I said wow.