• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Insider Scoop on Navy OCS

Clux4

Banned
At least you can continue with life never having to think of what life would have been like in the military or Navy.

All the best

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
What is this sand pit thing i keep hearing about. Why is it so hard?

You just won't understand until you're going through it. I knew what to expect beforehand and it was still 1000% different than what I read. Just relax and get to it when you get to it.

Tom

pilot
Contributor
You PT in sand and get dirty. Later you have to clean up (wash, starch, iron, shine, etc.). Sucks but is not the end of the world.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
What is this sand pit thing i keep hearing about. Why is it so hard?
There are sand pits. You PT in them. Sand gets all up in your clothing and crevices. It sucks, but I'd take it over bear crawling through goose poop anyday.

Someday

Dude?
If it was so easy, you'd see everyone walking around with gold bars.

Yeah, that is why NROTC exists.

Seriously, OCS seems like a big deal at the time, but it is just the tip of the stoic iceberg. Granted, your life won't be as exquisitely painful as it was in OCS (Warner Springs excluded), but through-out your naval career you will continually be asked to sacrifice. It is a more profound stoicism that allows you to fore sake friends and family for the greater good of your country. When you haven't seen your wife for months, your friends for years and your baby ever, you need that deep sense of commitment to continue with those endless 16 hour days.

You figured out early that this wasn't for you. Good job, you've saved yourself a lot of time and the government a lot of money. Go forth into the world and do great things.

SD

cha02

Haha. Do they actually do that- crawl through goose poop? What other crazy stuff do you do? Can the DI's punch you in the face and get physical?

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Haha. Do they actually do that- crawl through goose poop? What other crazy stuff do you do? Can the DI's punch you in the face and get physical?
It's not like they rake the goose poop into a big pile for you to crawl through. It's just that there are lots of geese in RI, and they happen to have bowel movements....frequently.

DIs cannot strike you. They will stiffarm you in the first stages of training if you get within arms length, though. Everyone at OCS is a grown adult, and you never know what people's backgrounds are.

scottwith1t

east coast
pilot
ditto that. Just graduated from OCS on friday. Definitely had a day during the first week that I wanted to drop. I had an anxiety attack and had to lock myself in the bathroom of the uniform shop for 15 minutes to calm down. Thank God I was talked out of DORing by a Candio.
were you in class 17-08?

i actually enjoyed the sand pit, it was softer than the grass and generally didn't have goose poop so you were *relatively* clean at the end of it. i'd much rather be sandy and/or muddy then be covered in goose crap.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
were you in class 17-08?

i actually enjoyed the sand pit, it was softer than the grass and generally didn't have goose poop so you were *relatively* clean at the end of it. i'd much rather be sandy and/or muddy then be covered in goose crap.

Or to have hands full of stickers (those fvcking thorny balls that were ALL over the damn grass). I kinda would have rather have had goose crap. At least you weren't risking cellulitis with poop.

Morgan81

It's not my lawn. It's OUR lawn.
pilot
Contributor
Or to have hands full of stickers (those fvcking thorny balls that were ALL over the damn grass). I kinda would have rather have had goose crap. At least you weren't risking cellulitis with poop.
No, you could get your hand sliced and diced from the seashells that the birds would drop on the PT field. More then one person had a piece go through their hand bear crawling.

Tyler

!
pilot
Contributor

What about a good old case of Hook Worms? Crap has all kinds of unhealthy...crap in it. ;)