• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Im Interested in Flying for the Coast Guard

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It doesn't go BOTH ways. a unit/service that deploys to the middle east to take part in the military effort over there QUALIFIES as "military" in my book, but a service/unit that doesn't deploy over there doesn't necessarily NOT qualify.

Make sense? I'm not ragging on those (myself included up to this point) who haven't been to the middle east, but I AM saying that if the coast guard has been there and taken casualties, then they sure as hell ARE military in my book.

Hope that clarifies it.

If all A's are B's and some B's are C's, then NOT ALL C's are A's. I hate logic... :D

So what letter are the Coasties living in Waterworld?

water.jpg

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Yeah, I'm with you, but I asked the (rhetorical) question because even if the CG wasn't in the Middle East, they do a ton of other stuff that takes them into harms way (if that's the qualifier you're looking for). This is all independent of Title 10, obviously, which nullifies any argument.

FWIW, I understand you're not saying they aren't (oh, I've just gone cross-eyed), just adding some perspective.

Right, and if they weren't over there, then there are other ways to justify their being a part of the US Military, but BECAUSE they are over there as a military force, then no other proof is required (IN MY MIND).

Although they took shit from the AW swim instructors at API, at the end of the day, my hat is off to anyone who joins the service, even if it is the Air Farce or our shallow-water bretheren. :D

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Right, and if they weren't over there, then there are other ways to justify their being a part of the US Military, but BECAUSE they are over there as a military force, then no other proof is required.

Weeeeelllllll, not really. Title 10 is what makes no other proof necessary, which was the point I was getting at.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Weeeeelllllll, not really. Title 10 is what makes no other proof necessary, which was the point I was getting at.

Well, that's THE book (and lays it out as law), and then there's Bogey Spotter's Book (not sure who follows or adhers to that though).

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Well, that's THE book (and lays it out as law), and then there's Bogey Spotter's Book (not sure who follows or adhers to that though).

Need I say it again??

Ok, fine. I'm an idiot, folks. Move along... nothing to see here....

Just one man's opinion.. :p

sardaddy

pilot
I would disagree, they have a different mission, but I wouldn't say they have the best gig.

Bluesig, of course that is just my opinion that we have the best gig. A strongly held opinion based on serving in two services and having worked with all of them at one point or another. But in the end, it is just an opinion.

Out of curiosity, this is of course for anyone, if you do not hold the same opinion that CG aviation isn't the best gig in the military, what do you think is?

Oh, yeah, if it's not, how come you guys keep trying to cross over?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Bluesig,......Out of curiosity, this is of course for anyone, if you do not hold the same opinion that CG aviation isn't the best gig in the military, what do you think is?

Oh, yeah, if it's not, how come you guys keep trying to cross over?

You are asking a college student? First mistake.......;)

You don't take NFO's.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
...Out of curiosity, this is of course for anyone, if you do not hold the same opinion that CG aviation isn't the best gig in the military, what do you think is?....

You're still curious ??? That's just precious. :D

Oh ... I don't know .... how 'bout Carrier Aviation ?? Ever heard of that one ??? :D

sardaddy

pilot
Yep, heard all about carrier operations. I guess you are right. If I had that much space to land on when I went back to one of my ships, I would think I had it pretty good too. Of course I only deploy on a ship every four years or so for a couple of months, so again, you have it much better. What was I thinking.:icon_tong

sardaddy

pilot
Not that I have to add this for most but for those small few, the barbs are of course in fun. I have nothing but respect for those in any service. One of the crews from our station went out last week and picked up a crewman from the Stennis due to a tragic event. I know If you guys had the opportunity to help us out you would do the same.

It is just too bad you can't have as great of a gig as we do.

bluesig1

sure thing
None
I am a big fan of what the 160th does, with their combination of chinooks, little birds, and blackhawks, and the D.A.P. variant.

sardaddy

pilot
I am a big fan of what the 160th does

In the Early 80's to the early/mid 90's I would have wholeheartedly agreed with you. However, about 1995 there was a dynamic change in the organization and they started being affected by outside influences. My whole career in the Army was geared to eventually apply for the 160th. But as time came to apply I spoke with many friends I had in the unit and their comments kept me from applying and eventually leaving the service all together.

Their comments, and comments I have heard now 10 years later, were basically, they did get more money for equipments and training than other units but in the end it was still the Army. The typical Army BS creeped into that fine organization as well. I think they still do great things but the stuff that made the unit a really great place to be is no longer as good as it used to be. In fact I have been asked by 160th pilots how to get into the Coast Guard.

The grass is always greener I guess. Unless of course you are in the Coast Guard then everyone else's grass looks like a city lot with dead grass, dirt patches, and weeds growing uncontrollably. :icon_tong

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
....The grass is always greener I guess. Unless of course you are in the Coast Guard then everyone else's grass looks like a city lot with dead grass, dirt patches, and weeds growing uncontrollably. :icon_tong

That could become a problem if one spends all ones useful consciousness flying low & slo-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o wwww.:sleep_125:sleep_125:sleep_125 :D

The Program:

Fly low.

Fly high (chemically un-assisted, of course).

Fly fast.

Stay young.

Be the kid that's inside all of you .... !!!

jetkidlx0.jpg

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
Need I say it again??

Ok, fine. I'm an idiot, folks. Move along... nothing to see here....

Just one man's opinion.. :p
This place is going to be a whole lot less amusing once you've managed to acquire some actual experience to base all those opinions on.

Until then, thanks for the entertainment.