• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Im Interested in Flying for the Coast Guard

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor

2004_crossing_guard_2.JPG

Note cap, just add a "U" and you have USCG!

Funny what you think of during a "crisis" .... as I immediately thought: JPO, a.k.a., JUNIOR POLICE OFFICER, a.k.a. JAPANEEEE POLICE OFFICER ... back in 'da Territory in the ol' days.

I KNOW you gotta' remember dose' days, Joe .... :D

That's me (?) in the center (?) ... a LT in my first para-military organization that was "all inclusive" and "gender-neutral", Brah' .... :)

We were so far ahead of the times in 'da Territory.

jpoje4.jpg

/USCG threadjack ... maybe.

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
@ HercDriver, you think your planes are prettier? I guess to each, his own. I'd rather fly an (or in) aircraft in a tactical paint scheme than look like an elementary school crossing guard.
heyjoe: That paint scheme has been chosen as the most stealthy to sneak up on drug runners and terrorists infiltrating our waters and the waters of the Caribbean, Pacific, Atlantic, Gulf, etc. Sure, it is counterintuitive, but we've been pretty successful, so....

GroundPounder

My father had two uncles ( brothers ) that were of draft age during WW2, they both realized that they were going and decided to enlist. Brother 1 looked for the safest thing that he could do, and still look people in the eye after the war. Brother 2 enlisted in the Army.

June 6, 1944

Brother 1, in his safe Coast Guard job is on board an LST that gets hit, he dies. Brother 2, lands on the beach and makes his way to Berlin. Neither brother knew the other was there, and in fact the infantryman found out his brother was dead well after his people back home were notified.

I don't think either brother, if they were still alive, would argue that the Coast Guard is / was part of the military.

sardaddy

pilot
Nope, I am not one of those folks who want to argue about the CG not being part of the military. BUT, your assertion that the CG is part of the Department of Defense (which most reasonable folks would agree IS the military) makes me want to challenge your position. In the most friendly and respectful way, of course. ;)

So tell me sardaddy, what facts can you stipulate that support your position that the CG is part of the military? Let's hear your definition of "military" first, as I suspect that is where our opinions might differ.

Wow! Looks like you already receved the facts from others. I never inferred, implied or asserted that the CG is DOD. Most knowledgeable military members know the CG is military but not in the DOD. So challenge away. You will, as I noted, lose. I would suggest some reading about Coast Guard and Navy History. I am sure you will find it enlightening. Such as the part where the CG (Revenue Cutter Service at the time) was the only standing US naval service for about four years after the revolutionary war. Or how a member of our service received the Medal of Honor. All good reading and will keep you from getting into embarrassing situations such as this thread later on in life.

Do you really want my definition of military? I served 10 years in the Army before going to the CG. I am positive our opinions will differ.

Now that we know what a coulple think of the CG, and that most don't discard it as a military service perhaps we can get back to what this was, an answer to a high schooler who wanted to join one of our fine services.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Funny what you think of during a "crisis" .... as I immediately thought: JPO, a.k.a., JUNIOR POLICE OFFICER, a.k.a. JAPANEEEE POLICE OFFICER ... back in 'da Territory in the ol' days.

I KNOW you gotta' remember dose' days, Joe .... :D

That's me (?) in the center (?) ... a LT in my first para-military organization that was "all inclusive" and "gender-neutral", Brah' .... :)

We were so far ahead of the times in 'da Territory.

jpoje4.jpg

/USCG threadjack ... maybe.

Reopen threadjack to answer...I lived on Hickam AFB at that time and went to Navy's Admiral Chester Nimitz Elementary School. I can't remember anyone standing guard anywhere between our quarters and school, but it's been awhile. My dad was transferred to Maxwell AFB next and I was in School Patrol there in which we wore gray uniforms. I made all city drill team that toured state wearing rebel flag insignia and confederate caps. We were drilled by a GYSGT from local recruiting office (made learning drill later at PLC a snap). When I went back to Kailua for high school, I was driving and don't recall seeing any JPO types, but they were on different schedule. I DO remember mess cranking in the kitchen and loving fact that seniors only did one day. Scooping rice out of huge vats with an ice cream scoop when surf beckoned was not my idea of fun even for one day. We had college type schedule so I was outta there before lunch most days and heading to MCAS Kaneohe where we had our own place with a nice swell where Hao'les could work on their surfing knowledges unmolested.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If the Coast Guard is deployed abroad to the middle-east, I will concede that they are, in fact, military.

Last edited by bogey_spotter; 05-11-2008 at 03:23 AM.

(To clarify: I KNOW they are) ;)

I don't think you understand my post. Perhaps I wrote it poorly, but my point was just what you posted. I KNOW they are deployed to the middle east. That is why I have no problem calling them a part of the middle east.

Sigh.......Bogey, have you been hitting the wine coolers again?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Because I can't resist (and the thread has been hopelessly jacked already)...

I don't think you understand my post. Perhaps I wrote it poorly, but my point was just what you posted. I KNOW they are deployed to the middle east. That is why I have no problem calling them a part of the military.

By your logic, does a unit that does NOT deploy to the middle east not qualify as the military, in your book?

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Because I can't resist (and the thread has been hopelessly jacked already)...

By your logic, does a unit that does NOT deploy to the middle east not qualify as the military, in your book?

It doesn't go BOTH ways. a unit/service that deploys to the middle east to take part in the military effort over there QUALIFIES as "military" in my book, but a service/unit that doesn't deploy over there doesn't necessarily NOT qualify.

Make sense? I'm not ragging on those (myself included up to this point) who haven't been to the middle east, but I AM saying that if the coast guard has been there and taken casualties, then they sure as hell ARE military in my book.

Hope that clarifies it.

If all A's are B's and some B's are C's, then NOT ALL C's are A's. I hate logic... :D

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don't think you understand my post. Perhaps I wrote it poorly, but my point was just what you posted. I KNOW they are deployed to the middle east. That is why I have no problem calling them a part of the military.

I understood what you wrote just fine.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
It doesn't go BOTH ways. a unit/service that deploys to the middle east to take part in the military effort over there QUALIFIES as "military" in my book, but a service/unit that doesn't deploy over there doesn't necessarily NOT qualify.

Make sense? I'm not ragging on those (myself included up to this point) who haven't been to the middle east, but I AM saying that if the coast guard has been there and taken casualties, then they sure as hell ARE military in my book.

Hope that clarifies it.

Yeah, I'm with you, but I asked the (rhetorical) question because even if the CG wasn't in the Middle East, they do a ton of other stuff that takes them into harms way (if that's the qualifier you're looking for). This is all independent of Title 10, obviously, which nullifies any argument.

FWIW, I understand you're not saying they aren't (oh, I've just gone cross-eyed), just adding some perspective.