• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Im Interested in Flying for the Coast Guard

helolover

HeloLover
Im a high scholl student. I know a fair amount about aviation, but little about the Coast Guard. I am looking into both the Navy and the Coast Guard.

I've already seen the limited info on the Coast Guard's website on the Blue 21 flight initiative. The school I plan to attend (Georgia Tech) qualifies for the 25% minority.

However, I still want to know more about it.
Also, what is it like driving helicopters for the Coast Guard?

sardaddy

pilot
Flying helicopters in the Coast Guard is the best gig in the military. Sorry Navy, you know it's true.

Blue 21 is a great initiative. You get OCS and flight school guaranteed before you enter the service. You aren't guarateed to pass, just guaranteed a spot. You don't have to be a minority to apply, only go to a school with 25% minority enrollment. In fact I just heard last night from someone on this years board that the 25% requriement may be changing as well. We will see, it is just a rumor at this point though.

Either way it's a good program. Stay focused through high school and follow up with a recruiter soon and get the ball rolling.

Good luck.

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
Flying helicopters in the Coast Guard is the best gig in the military. Sorry Navy, you know it's true.
Leaving the door wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide open aren't we, Stretch?

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
Leaving the door wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide open aren't we, Stretch?
You need to put in more lower case "I"s, please.
And you are just jealous 'cuz our planes are prettier.:icon_wink

sardaddy

pilot
Sorry Helobubba, it was correct the way it was. The best gig in the military. Unless of course you are one of those folks that wants to argue (and loose) that the CG isn't a part of the military.

No door left open at all scoob but thanks for the concern.

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
Yea doesn't the Coast Guard fall under the control of the Navy during times of declared war or did they change that?

sardaddy

pilot
LazersGoPEWPEW

First, I love the name. Second, you are correct.

We do fall under the Navy in those circumstances. But it hasn't been enacted since WWII. Depending on who you ask, the reason it hasn't been done since then is for one of two reasons. Reason one, We have not had an actual "declared" war since then. Reason two, it was thought better to keep the service autonomous during those conflicts. No matter either way. The CG hasn't fallen under the Navy since then but has been in theatre for almost every major conflict.

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
I like the Coast Guard. I read a history book about the Coast Guard in WWI when they were the Revenue Cutter Service and such and it was rather interesting to say the least.

bluesig1

sure thing
None
The CSPI program is pretty neat, I thought about trying it before doing BDCP. I hate the 25% minority rate for the schools though.

HeloBubba

SH-2F AW
Contributor
Sorry Helobubba, it was correct the way it was. The best gig in the military. Unless of course you are one of those folks that wants to argue (and loose) that the CG isn't a part of the military.

Nope, I am not one of those folks who want to argue about the CG not being part of the military. BUT, your assertion that the CG is part of the Department of Defense (which most reasonable folks would agree IS the military) makes me want to challenge your position. In the most friendly and respectful way, of course. ;)

So tell me sardaddy, what facts can you stipulate that support your position that the CG is part of the military? Let's hear your definition of "military" first, as I suspect that is where our opinions might differ.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
If the Coast Guard is deployed abroad to the middle-east, I will concede that they are, in fact, military.

(To clarify: I KNOW they are) ;)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
If the Coast Guard is deployed abroad to the middle-east, I will concede that they are, in fact, military.

So ... by that definition, I suppose we should include Blackwater contractors, too ... ??? :) Bad bogey ... bad dog. :D

Actually ... The five uniformed services that make up the Armed Forces are outlined in
10 U.S.C. § 101(a)(4):

"
The term “armed forces” means the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard."

"Coast Guard" is further defined by 14 U.S.C. § 1:

"The Coast Guard as established January 28, 1915, shall be a military service and a branch of the armed forces of the United States at all times. The Coast Guard shall be a service in the Department of Homeland Security, except when operating as a service in the Navy."

donwinslowcgkr9.jpg

......But I learned all that as part of my Saturday matinée fare while still a kid ... :D

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Actually ... The five uniformed services that make up the Armed Forces are outlined in [/B] 10 U.S.C. § 101(a)(4):

"
The term “armed forces” means the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard."

"Coast Guard" is further defined by 14 U.S.C. § 1:

"The Coast Guard as established January 28, 1915, shall be a military service and a branch of the armed forces of the United States at all times. The Coast Guard shall be a service in the Department of Homeland Security, except when operating as a service in the Navy."

10 U.S.C. (commonly referred to as "Title 10") is the source. As someone is wont to say, "believe it!"

That said, USCG does some things services do not do and doesn't do everyhting a service does not. They are what they are....take your pick.

....you are just jealous 'cuz our planes are prettier.:icon_wink

@ HercDriver, you think your planes are prettier? I guess to each, his own. I'd rather fly an (or in) aircraft in a tactical paint scheme than look like an elementary school crossing guard.

2004_crossing_guard_2.JPG

Note cap, just add a "U" and you have USCG!