• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Ifs

Status
Not open for further replies.

lftmarine

I report 11 Apr 05 to begin IFS, does anyone have any knowledge on the typical day during IFS? Where do you report? How is the program? Any good advice?

Semper Fi

lftmarine

Is there a difference in the aircraft being flown at the two locations? Which location would most people prefer?

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
I didn't do IFS at Quantico, but I do fly there... They fly the IFS guys in Cessna 172s (M, N, and H) and Piper warriors (they might even have started flying them in 152s, but I am not sure on that). From my understanding of it, They will decide what a/c you will be trained in based on availability. The ground school comment seems to be right on from what ive seen. Weather changes rapidly and so do plans, so they do call on short notice sometimes.

KBayDog

I flew the 152 most of the time, since it was always available - and a lot of fun to spin. For XC flights, though, I had to use the 172s (the 152 didn't have the required nav gear).

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
If i remember correctly, you have 60 days to complete the program (25hrs of flight time with the associated ground schooling). Some people do it before TBS, while they are waiting to class up, and others do it after TBS, before they head to Pensacola

KBayDog

Marines (with very few exceptions) all do IFS while in the Quantico area.

You can do it either before or after; my advice is to get orders to do it before TBS. I had my MOI get me orders to Echo Co (the rest of my graduating class went to Delta), but I reported to Quantico ASAP after graduation, checked into Mike Co, and started IFS. Wouldn't you know it - IFS ended for me the day Echo Co picked up, so no working parties for me...funny how that worked out ;) They also gave me "priority" on flights, since I was on a timetable to start TBS. I then completed TBS and got on the road to Pepsicola right afterwards. It is good, because a good portion of the folks I am going through API with were TBS classmates. Plus, I live an hour away (Milton) from P'Cola. With six months of waking up at 0400 or so to make the 0500 on-deck times, even with the hour commute, the 0700 start of API seems like sleeping in :icon_smil (In other words, I haven't had time to get used to sleeping past, oh, 0500...)

Those who did IFS after TBS had to stay attached to Mike Co (live at Camp Barrett if they are single :icon_rage ) and hang around the area they have grown to hate so very, very much. Plus, when they get down to P'Cola, they won't know as many people.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
jmwSemperFi said:
How is the apartment search down there?

Painful, very very painful. I think the guys that I am living with and I had to have called over 2 dozen apartment places down there before we found what we were looking for (2, 2 bedrooms in the same complex). I think of all the places we called, we could only find 3 with any sort of room, and pretty much the only way to really make sure you get one is to get them the money for the place before anyone else does.

Good Luck,
Start Early

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
For PLC guys, are they still doing the FIP? It's the same thing as IFS except you do it at your hometown. You have to be complete with Srs or Combined. Ask your OSO about it (if you're PLC), if I remember correctly, you have to be OCS complete (done with Srs or Combined) but you don't have to be commissioned yet. I used this program the last semester of college and finished up right after I commissioned. It was nice flying around my home town, plus I knew the folks at the airport.

If you know you are going to be waiting around for TBS after you commission, then this might be a good idea. Like I said, the only difference between the FIP and IFS is location.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
KBayDog said:
Those who did IFS after TBS had to stay attached to Mike Co (live at Camp Barrett if they are single :icon_rage ) and hang around the area they have grown to hate so very, very much. Plus, when they get down to P'Cola, they won't know as many people.

back in my day :) we all did IFS after TBS. it wasn't all bad. being the salty, extremely jaded lt's that we were, we managed to accomplish some ridiculous feats of drinking, halo-ing, and pissing off the ood (all directly related to our disgust with graves hall and tbs in general). we also felt rebellious running around in blue jeans and t-shirts much to the disdain of the other lt's simply b/c we didn't care enough anymore (before they eased that reg) .granted, had we been flying, most of that would have been avoided had it not been snowing record amounts. of course we were the last company to do it after the 'suck, so we were spread out through API and the pipeline and mixed in with a lot of the guys who were in companies behind us. most of the guys i know these days are fox and alpha guys (we were echo).

/sf
//get off my lawn!

HueyCobra8151

pilot
Isn't one of the purposes of IFS to help weed out air candidates who find out that "flying isn't for them?"

With that in mind, if a Lieutenant went to IFS after TBS and found out that they didn't like flying as much as watching flying movies, wouldn't they be penalized in the form of not having as wide a selection of ground-side MOS's available to choose from?

sublime259

So what happens if for some reason you fail the medical at Pensacola...Do you have a choice on what MOS you want based on how well you did at TBS?

ttsareen

I am also reporting to IFS April 11th. A question I have is does anyone know if you can pick between Quantico and Manasas or is it asigned ot you upon arrival to Quantico? Also another random question I have is what is the parking situation like at TBS?

KBayDog

Depends on the situation. I was a "onesy or twosey" - I showed up by myself, so I pretty much had a choice. When you talk to Ralph Stark, the IFS coordinator, let him know your preference. He's pretty flexible, but again, it's needs of service.

Parking at TBS? HAHA! Hope your hiking boots are worn in... The parking rules change hourly, and by the time I left there, if you were a brown-bagger, you parked at the very end of the parade deck lot.

lftmarine

Simple Question- Since my orders only state I must report no later than Apr 11th for IFS, does anyone know if I would be able to report a day or two earlier?

Status
Not open for further replies.