• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

IFS in Pensacola

dbatt005

P-3 FO
None
I spoke with an IFS office person yesterday and was told that the new SNFO syllabus is supposed to start June 1 but she also said there were some things that would cause this not to happen as scheduled.

Cavrone

J-Hooah
pilot
Well, now they (company XO) are telling us that SNFO don't have to do IFS. We are getting orders straight to Pcola. I kinda like that idea better anyway.

dbatt005

P-3 FO
None
I meant that the Navy has moved all of IFS to P'cola in an attempt to standardize the program. I was unsure of the other branches.

jus2mch

MOTIVATOR
Contributor
Chosing An Ifs Location

dbatt005 or alabama_matt how is a students specific training location for IFS chosen? For example, do SNA's go to Eglin and SNFO's go to Mobile? Or is it just luck of the draw?

pennst8

Next guy to ask about thumbdrives gets shot.
Contributor
@jus2mch - When I went through back in the fall, they brought us into a room, the woman in charge left and we hashed it out amongst ourselves.

The NFO/Pilot slots per school were already set by a higher power, there wasn't any apparent patten to the slots. It was up to the group to fight over who got to drive to Mobile/Eglin everyday.

dbatt005

P-3 FO
None
Location is chosen based on the availability of instructors at the schools. There is usually an IFS brief every other Wednesday and the schools are given out at the brief. Sometimes, the students will get to choose, if there are enough openings at the schools, and is usually done by seniority. Each class of IFS students will normally consist of Navy, Air Force and Coast Guard. They do brief you on the structure of each school (ground school schedules, location, time to train, etc) before you choose (or assigned as it may be). I posted some basic knowledge I have of the area schools in #57 of this thread.

Heloanjin

pilot
I meant that the Navy has moved all of IFS to P'cola in an attempt to standardize the program. I was unsure of the other branches.

I'm pretty sure there are IFS programs still in operation in the vicinity of the USNA - BWI, Tipton, Freeway, and Bay Bridge.

I wouldn't mind the drive to Ft. Walton if I can find some car poolers. I'm gonna be missing some cash as I pay out the ass to student loans.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Abybody got the balls to file a travel claim? Any time I'd drive my POV from Cherry Point to Lejeune (~1hr) for work related matters, I'd file a travel claim and get reimbursed. There's no reason at all you shouldn't be able to do it going to Mobile/Eglin.

Just ask this though. Would you rather pay the money, or would you rather have everybody ride out there at dawn in a 7-ton, wait around all day, and then ride back at night. Gotta love the Marine Corps answer to the problem.

pennst8

Next guy to ask about thumbdrives gets shot.
Contributor
For the Navy guys the answer was "no" if you filed the travel claim. Honestly though, it doesn't cost THAT much... you could force the issue but most people just walk away because its not worth their time or effort.

Your mileage may vary... things could have changed since the fall/winter.

We all drove together for the week of ground school and then individually or in pairs when it came time to fly... if you go to Mobile, schedules will work with you to try and save you some gas.