• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

IFS in Pensacola

SLAYER

I just finished IFS (in 36 days) at Flight Training of Mobile and I had a really great experience there. Since every SNA/SNFO is going to be doing IFS down "in" Pensacola, I thought I'd share some about my time in IFS. There are a few different schools that people go to, hopefully others will post more about their schools.

FTM (www.flyftm.com) does a week and a day of ground school before you start flying. You learn the basics about flight, about the plane itself (C172 SP) how to plan a flight etc. You take the practice test for Private Pilot License the last day of ground school and then its on to scheduled flights. FTM was very good about getting flights scheduled daily, in fact the only times where I didn't have daily flights were due to bad weather. I felt this helped a lot in a new lesson when it came to building on skills learned in a previous one. There's also a King Schools at home course that you do before and during ground school on CDs.

Location: Mobile was about an 1.5 hr drive from my house (10 mins west of the back gate of NAS) The drive was a pretty tiring event everyday but it could have been worse, I only had to drive one way, my fiance (also SNA) would drive there and I would drive back. FTM was good about grouping up the flights of people that rode together and I'd definitely reccomend carpooling. FTM is located at Mobile Downtown airport which used to be a military air station so it has big runways and a control tower. FedEx and UPS fly out of Downtown. I liked getting practice talking to a tower, not all the IFS schools are based at airports with control towers.

Planes: IFS students learn to fly in Cessna 172 Skyhawks. I haven't yet flown anything else so I can't do any comparisons, but I can tell you I never feared for my life in the Skyhawk :icon_wink The planes were well maintained and never once did I miss a flight for mechanical problems and I never heard of anyone else missing any either.

Instructors: I had one instructor for all of my flights, other people had more than one. My instructor was a really great guy, he had lots of experience flying and had great stories. I feel that having a instructor as good as him will help me down the road in Navy flight training.

Some general IFS advice:
-Don't forget to log into the website everyday, even on weekends.
-Send your email the night before to the IFS office if you have an event the next day
-Have a good attitude when you go to IFS, don't have the idea that its a piece of cake and you don't have to work. Be eager to learn and respectful to your instructors.
*If you forget, you muster on the weekend at 0700, both days if you messed up twice.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
The planes were well maintained and never once did I miss a flight for mechanical problems and I never heard of anyone else missing any either.
This will change when you get to primary...:D

Nice post...glad you had a good experience.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Out of curiosity, you mentioned having to take the FAA written. What happens if you don't pass it? If all you've had is some ground school, it seems like it would be relatively hard. When I did my private (long ago), I relied on the Gliems (sp?) book, and there were still some questions I didn't know. Then again, maybe I'm just not that smart.

Ben_Dover

Gator-
At least at Mobile, you don't take the real PPL test. It's a shortened, paper version that the ground school instructor preps you on very thoroughly. His test review is about an hour long and covers every type of question you will encounter on the exam. I've never heard of anybody ever failing it.

redmidgrl

livin' the dream
Contributor
Does everyone have to go to IFS down there? I have heard some stash Ensigns doing it here in DC before moving down to flight school... I have also heard that if you have hours from flying on your own you don't have to do IFS...

Let me know. Thanks!!
Red

Tom

pilot
Contributor
I believe only the people with few or no hours of flight training go to IFS. If you have enough to have gotten your PPL then IFS would be a waste of money. I have 4 buddies that had their CFI's and ended up skipping IFS and doing an abbreviated Primary.

SLAYER

Gator-
At least at Mobile, you don't take the real PPL test. It's a shortened, paper version that the ground school instructor preps you on very thoroughly. His test review is about an hour long and covers every type of question you will encounter on the exam. I've never heard of anybody ever failing it.

Yep that's what our ground school group did. Just have to get 80% or better.

As for everyone doing IFS down here, I think they will eventually have everyone do it down here before API for the reason that they can monitor it better. I believe this was mentioned a brief but I'm not 100% sure on that.

This is the student brief for IFS on the official website that has the rules about prior flight time. https://ifs.cnet.navy.mil/ifscode/help/default.cfm

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
I believe everyone now has to do it down in Pensacola. This summer a lot of us got away with doing it at local airports near our ROTC units or whatever. I think the Navy is canning that.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
That'll be interesting. The place where I did IFS was having issues meeting the demand (Summer/Fall '05). Between the about 10 or 12 IFS students and their normal load of rich Destin wannabe pilots, they were stretched pretty far.

Ben_Dover

Word on the street is that this summer was the last time SNAs/SNFOs could do IFS at their home (commissioning) sites. Something about how the Navy was looking to cut costs and it's quite a bit cheaper for the Navy to have everybody do it down here by flight schools that are offering the Navy a discounted rate due to the quantity of students they are pushing through.
As for what Bubba said, I definitely agree, it's going to be extremely tough for the flight schools to manage such a large number of students. Mobile was actually trying to hire on more instructors because they were a bit overwhelmed with the student/instructor ratio.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
Yeah, it'll be a royal pain for everyone. On top of that, IFS can be a nightmare down here in PCOLA vs doing it at your commissioning site. I had a great time up in Indianapolis, took 50 days to complete;)

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Gator-

Gotcha. Thanks.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
I dunno about ROTC and OCS guys, but I doubt that the USNA guys will be doing IFS once they get to P-cola. There's such a huge load of SNA's all at once that it'd back up starting API pretty bad. Not to mention it'd f-over quite a few flight schools up there as we were a good part of their business.

socaldude

I'm a bit confused by how exactly IFS works -- do all SNAs go there right after OCS? If you already have your private pilot's license do you have to go? What if you do not have your PP license?

Thanks