• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

If not Pilot, NFO?

navychick

I am in the middle of filling out my Service Selection form, finally! But I have a question... I have obviously put Pilot as my first choice but am usnure of my second choice. NFO or SWO? Hopefully this will not be an issue, but incase it is, I was hoping for some feedback on going NFO. I consider myself to be more of a "front-seater", not to bash on NFOs, but I almost feel that if I dont get Pilot I should give SWO a shot. Any thoughts?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
The only thought I have is they're both great jobs. Had the eyes failed me and Aviator was not an option, I would have been happy in either the "back seat" :)or in "black shoes".

Again-- both great/good jobs ... it's what you make of them.
As always .... you will be a better person for having spent time in either "uniform".

navychick

I do appreciate hearing that because I definitely feel the same way, and I think that that is why I am having such a hard time....maybe I'll just flip a coin =)

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
Yea, it's really up to you whether you go surface or aviation or whatever. Thats how I kinda of thought of it when I was ranking my preferences. I would rather be up in the sky than anywhere else, whether it be a FO or pilot (I'm a FO). Again, this is me. Everyone has their own reasons of joining whatever community. One community is no better than the other bc each has its own specific mission. I also dont feel that just bc you dont get pilot doesnt mean you should completely rule out being an NFO. Its a great job and is just as important as the frontseater. I see both as equals. But again, this is my opinion.

But IMHO, I just started flight school and I can honestly say I'm luvin this sh!t :)

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
I honestly cant say enough about the FO's that I met in Lemoore, they are all an awesome bunch of guys with a great community.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I was trolling SailorBob.com the other day and came across a thread about a NFO select that wanted SWO and was trying to change. What made me chuckle was that for every SWO praising him for his SWO fetish there was another SWO that couldn't believe anyone would pass up the aviation lifestyle for the abuse of the surface warfare lifestyle. IMO that says a lot. I doubt that you will ever find a pilot or NFO telling a SWO not to switch to aviation.

The NFO might not be driving, but the mission won't get accomplished without him. It's a team effort and and a rewarding job. I fly commecially now as a pilot but I spent a career as a NFO. Both are fun but in many ways I had more job satisfaction as a NFO.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I couldn't imagine having left my career decision to be an NFO and not a SWO (God help me) up to the flip of a coin.

navychick

ANother thing, what is the career span for NFOs? I dont know what my future holds and am not completely rulling out going as far as I can in the Navy. Does going NFO have an impact on possible reaching 0-6 and above? Not that I will make it there, but I dont want to end my chances before I even get out there...

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Flygrl88 said:
ANother thing, what is the career span for NFOs? I dont know what my future holds and am not completely rulling out going as far as I can in the Navy. Does going NFO have an impact on possible reaching 0-6 and above? Not that I will make it there, but I dont want to end my chances before I even get out there...
NFOs and pilots have the same career paths and opprtunities. Many NFOs have command squadrons, wings and carriers. Many make Admiral. Here's one that comes immediately to mind: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_J._Fallon

William J. Fallon is an Admiral in the United States Navy and currently serves as Commander, U.S. Pacific Command.
Adm. William J. Fallon was raised in Merchantville, New Jersey. A 1967 graduate of Villanova University, he received his commission through the Navy ROTC Program and was designated a naval flight officer upon completion of flight training in December 1967.
Adm. Fallon began his Naval Aviation service flying in the RA-5C Vigilante with a combat deployment to Vietnam, transitioning to the A-6 Intruder in 1974. He served in flying assignments with Attack Squadrons and Carrier Air Wings for twenty-four years, deploying to the Mediterranean Sea, Atlantic, Pacific and Indian Oceans embarked in USS Saratoga, USS Ranger, USS Nimitz, USS Dwight D. Eisenhower and USS Theodore Roosevelt. He has logged more than 1,300 carrier arrested landings and 4,800 flight hours in tactical jet aircraft.
Adm. Fallon commanded Attack Squadron Sixty Five embarked in USS Dwight D. Eisenhower, Medium Attack Wing One at NAS Oceana, Va., and Carrier Air Wing Eight in USS Theodore Roosevelt during a combat deployment to the Persian Gulf for Operation Desert Storm in 1991. Assigned as Commander, Carrier Group Eight in 1995, he deployed to the Mediterranean as Commander, Theodore Roosevelt Battle Group and commanded Battle Force Sixth Fleet (CTF 60) during NATO’s combat Operation Deliberate Force in Bosnia. Adm. Fallon served as Commander, Second Fleet and Commander, Striking Fleet Atlantic from November 1997 to September 2000.
Shore duties included assignment as Aide and Flag Lieutenant to the Commander, Fleet Air Jacksonville, and to the staffs of Commander, Reconnaissance Attack Wing One; Commander, Operational Test Force, and Commander, Naval Air Force, U.S. Atlantic Fleet. He has served as Deputy Director for Operations, Joint Task Force, Southwest Asia in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, and as Deputy Director, Aviation Plans and Requirements on the Staff of the Chief of Naval Operations in Washington, D.C. His first flag officer assignment was with NATO as Assistant Chief of Staff, Plans and Policy for Supreme Allied Commander, Atlantic. He was then assigned as Deputy and Chief of Staff, U.S. Atlantic Fleet followed by assignment as Deputy Commander in Chief and Chief of Staff, U.S. Atlantic Command. Adm. Fallon served as the 31st Vice Chief of Naval Operations from October 2000 to August 2003. He was the Commander, U.S. Fleet Forces Command and U.S. Atlantic Fleet from October 2003 to February 2005.
Adm. Fallon is a graduate of the Naval War College, Newport, R.I., the National War College in Washington, D.C., and has a Master of Arts Degree in International Studies from Old Dominion University. His awards include the Defense Distinguished Service Medal, Distinguished Service Medal, Defense Superior Service Medal, Legion of Merit, Bronze Star, Meritorious Service Medal, Air Medal, Navy Commendation Medal, and various unit and campaign decorations

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Flygrl88 said:
Very little difference in career path. Both pilots and NFOs can skipper a carrier, and NFOs hold some of the higherst positions of leadership in the Navy Admirals Fallon, Nichols, and Zortman come to mind.

Brett

B

Blutonski816

I don't believe it should be any different than that of an Aviator.

Same types of duties and career opportunities. Sure, some of the non-NFO communities are exceptions to the rule, but from what I've read here, it's not the pin that gets the good jobs, it's the officer wearing them.

Edit: HAL, I was just about to use ADM Fallon as an example....

goplay234

Hummer NFO
None
FO's can go all the way to the top dude. There's no difference as far as career paths. In my experience, once you get to the RAG/Fleet, it's all a team effort. Yeah, there's some jabbing between single anchor and double anchor dudes, but it's all in good fun. In the end, we are all there to do the same mission. Don't go SWO dude, you'll regret it when you're on the bridge during midwatch after pulling a 19 hour day and having to run to medical to have the doc remove the knife your roomate stuck in your back while you weren't looking. I kid, I kid. But not really...

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Okay, just my opinion, based soley on me. Knowing what I know now, if it were me, I would do something other than NFO if I couldn't be a pilot. It simply has to do with me not being in control. I hate sitting right seat, I hate sitting in the back, I hate not being in control. When I was in your place, I did put NFO second but again, would not now.

Oh yeah, I'm also a dickhead ;)

I thought about going SNFO and then SNA when I appied, but changed my mind. I noticed when I fly my little Cessna I get easily distracted looking outside at the ground and sky, I figured....I don't like flying...I just like to look at sh!t on the ground. Not that this means jack squat or is based on any Naval experience its just something I noticed.

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
Wings = Good.

Waves = No good. (especially if you have wings)

If I attrited...I would have gone subs. I loved my 2/c (enlisted) cruise. But I'm a little different like that.

Thank god for VF-31 (my 1/c cruise).

~D