• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

If not Pilot, NFO?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Strange ... no one has mentioned this --- and I am remiss for not saying it earlier.

I would MUCH rather be a Marine Infantry officer --- a man leading men in harm's way --- than sitting on USS Boat wondering "what happened", "what's for MIDRATS", and "whatever happened to the Russian Navy ... ????"

Factor that into your thinking and your life-decision "coin-toss" .... :)

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
A4sForever said:
Strange ... no one has mentioned this --- and I am remiss for not saying it earlier.

I would MUCH rather be a Marine Infantry officer --- a man leading men in harm's way --- than sitting on USS Boat wondering "what happened", "what's for MIDRATS", and "whatever happened to the Russian Navy ... ????"

Factor that into your thinking and your life-decision "coin-toss" .... :)
Excellent idea, but probably not an option for "Flygrl88"

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
squorch2 said:
Excellent idea, but probably not an option for "Flygrl88"
True ... you are right. At least as far as it goes ... but we're "preachin'" to the whole choir herein on the forum --- not just one young lady.

Semper Fi .... (can a Navy guy say that .... ???) :)

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
A4sForever said:
True ... you are right. At least as far as it goes ... but we're "preachin'" to the whole choir herein on the forum --- not just one young lady.

Semper Fi .... (can a Navy guy say that .... ???) :)
Speaking of... Marines have Semper Fi, CG has Semper Paratus... do we have a Semper (other than gumby)?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
squorch2 said:
Speaking of... Marines have Semper Fi, CG has Semper Paratus... do we have a Semper (other than gumby)?
We're "Semper-Always-There When You Need a Carrier .... " ;)

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
squorch2 said:

I think aviators have Semper Crew Rest.

Crowbar

None
To go along with what Bunk said, if you won't be happy unless you are the pilot, think long and hard before going NFO. The last thing anybody needs is another 'shoulda, woulda, coulda been a pilot' running around blathering about how they 'settled' for NFO until they can do a pilot transition.

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
Crowbar said:
The last thing anybody needs is another 'shoulda, woulda, coulda been a pilot' running around blathering about how they 'settled' for NFO until they can do a pilot transition.

This is a true statement across any job/service. I had a few bubbas in my squadron who "settled" for helos until they could put in for a jet transition. They were also gay, but I didn't ask, they didn't tell.

Nobody wants "that-guy" working for/with them.

~D

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
bunk22 said:
Okay, just my opinion, based soley on me. Knowing what I know now, if it were me, I would do something other than NFO if I couldn't be a pilot. It simply has to do with me not being in control. I hate sitting right seat, I hate sitting in the back, I hate not being in control. When I was in your place, I did put NFO second but again, would not now.

Oh yeah, I'm also a dickhead ;)

I concur. Avoid being an NFO in the C-2 at all costs... :sleep_125

navychick

To say the least, you all got me laughing instead of freaking out after having read the last two pages of comments. so thanks! But I do have to say that I somewhat feel the same way that Bunk22 feels. I know that it may sound bad, but I am not sure how much I would like not being in the driver's seat, AND I dont know if my stomach/head could take it sitting in the back of a jet/helo that I am not controlling...just another thought. I guess I am leaning towards SWO as second choice. Again, something that I hope only is an issue now and not a realistic outcome because being a Pilot is still my number one choice!

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
My selection out of NROTC was SNA, SNFO, SWO

I wanted to fly more than anything.

pdx

HSM Pilot
squorch2 said:

We're actually Semper Fortis, but nobody ever says it, so it doesn't matter.

Semper Fo, brothers, Semper Fo!