• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Idiot Jet Blue Pilot

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
Talked to my JB buddies about this, apparently the order of operations isn't entirely correct. This is what they relayed to me:
  1. Crazy dude has phone issue but is calmed and everything returns to normal.
  2. Later, one of the pilots needs to take a piss. Everything is calm, normal-normal.
  3. Pilot leaves cockpit for standard piss break arranged with one FA going into cockpit, etc.
  4. Crazy dude sees cockpit door open and bum rushes everyone.
Just relaying what the company told them, which they then told me. ?‍♂️

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
At least when I left my airline, using a catering cart or other make shift barrier was still optional. Never understood that. The union security committee made videos demonstrating how quickly a guy could make it to the door and how to get in and out with min door open time and max control of the door. The company used them in training but didn't go the next step and require a makeshift barrier consistent with aircraft design. Go figure?

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Just spoke to a JB CA - lots the news did not cover. Flight deck door opened for bathroom break coincedental to disruptive pax and subject was yelling “allah akbar”.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
The news said there was only one FA in the forward galley. There has to be 2 people in the cockpit at all times and a FA blocking access from the galley. Unless there were 3 pilots in the cockpit, they were a person short to open the door. (Normally end up with pilot and FA in cockpit, pilot and FA in forward galley/lav). Plus the FA and pilots are supposed to verify it’s clear prior to opening the door. And the pilot is supposed to visually observe the FA through the peephole.

So if this was indeed a bathroom break then a lot of standard procedures were not being followed.

That door should not have been opened.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I still am unclear what the pilot did after the door was opened. If it went down as now is being explained by Jet Blue, did the pilot immediately back into the cockpit and close the locked door? Did he have to fight to get back into the cockpit or to close the door? Or maybe he thought he had to "help" and participated in the fight.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Is this really something that needs to be discussed in detail?
Nothing has been said that is not readily known, frequently in multiple news stories whenever airline security is a stor, or in any way “close hold”, “not for public” or confidential.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Nothing has been said that is not readily known, frequently in multiple news stories whenever airline security is a stor, or in any way “close hold”, “not for public” or confidential.
Didn’t say it was specifically security sensitive but there’s not anything good that can come from discussing procedure specifics especially about a case we don’t even have accurate information on anyway. If there’s something to be learned it will come from appropriate channels

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Didn’t say it was specifically security sensitive but there’s not anything good that can come from discussing procedure specifics especially about a case we don’t even have accurate information on anyway. If there’s something to be learned it will come from appropriate channels
Nothing wrong with this as a default setting, but as mentioned before, nothing mentioned that is part of SSI. I think what we are most interested in will come out in the public criminal case. Still a good reminder. We don't want to talk about what he should have done by way of procedure. That gets too close to SSI stuff. What he DID, without comment from anyone should be fine. But, point taken.