• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Idiot Jet Blue Pilot

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
I’ll keep wearing a real tie because they look better and I’m a MCMAP ninja anyway
I was all about real ties until I discovered the Cut Above zip ties. I was really hesitant to buy a fake tie, but since we're wearing this crap all the time I gave it a shot. Looks great and it's super easy to deal with. Now can we talk about shoes? I've got real leather sole dress shoes (don't recommend for snowy ramps ?) and I see some of these slobs walking around in "dressy" crocks. I'm just regional scum though, so tell me if I'm way off base for secretly judging them! ?

As for JB...I have five friends based in BOS and they all remember 9/11. I'll ask for the inside scoop.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
I was all about real ties until I discovered the Cut Above zip ties. I was really hesitant to buy a fake tie, but since we're wearing this crap all the time I gave it a shot. Looks great and it's super easy to deal with. Now can we talk about shoes? I've got real leather sole dress shoes (don't recommend for snowy ramps ?) and I see some of these slobs walking around in "dressy" crocks. I'm just regional scum though, so tell me if I'm way off base for secretly judging them! ?

As for JB...I have five friends based in BOS and they all remember 9/11. I'll ask for the inside scoop.

Ecco Helsinki rubber sole slip ons are my go to. Good grip in the slush, are actual dress shoes and are comfy. Only downside is your ankles will get wet in deep slush. Not super cheap but they last a long time. Fast to put on, too, when I'm rolling out the door from my slam click sanctuary at the last possible moment.

You're not off base. A lot of pilots look like slobs by not taking any pride in their uniform. Iron your shit, make sure it fits, wear real shoes, pull your tie tight when you're in public, shave. You don't need to be an Adonis to still look professional.

Take a little pride in the profession and the ones who came before ya.

Also, don't open the door during a security issue. Unless you don't like being employed as a pilot at a major.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ecco Helsinki rubber sole slip ons are my go to. Good grip in the slush, are actual dress shoes and are comfy. Only downside is your ankles will get wet in deep slush. Not super cheap but they last a long time. Fast to put on, too, when I'm rolling out the door from my slam click sanctuary at the last possible moment.
The real answer is seniority. I went for 3 years without deicing and that was all schedule managment. No built in advantage like HAL has. ?

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
I was all about real ties until I…
…got caught wearing my real Delta uniform tie during roll call circa 2004. My sergeant caught me…and he was pretty ticked off about it. He immediately sent me home to get my authorized CPD clip-on tie…and luckily I live only about a mile away from the police station. I still continued to wear my unauthorized Nasal Radiator wings tie clasp, however…:D

FLGUY

“Technique only”
pilot
Contributor
I've deiced more than a couple of times each winter in Seattle, Haneda, Incheon, Sapporo and New York. What keeps me out of the slush is the FOs doing the walk arounds.

It really is fascinating to me how the military and the airlines differ on the topic of walk arounds. As an aircraft commander you’re taught to ensure you check everything yourself because you’re ultimately responsible when you sign for it. But the airline culture seems to be moreso “that’s the FO’s job, I trust him/her”

Would it be seen as odd if a captain said “hey I’ll get the walk around this time” for whatever reason? Maybe if it’s a brand new FO or the captain just wants to for funsies?

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
It really is fascinating to me how the military and the airlines differ on the topic of walk arounds. As an aircraft commander you’re taught to ensure you check everything yourself because you’re ultimately responsible when you sign for it. But the airline culture seems to be moreso “that’s the FO’s job, I trust him/her”
The Captain is still responsible but we treat our FOs as professionals and trust them without micro-managing. They know their jobs and what needs to be done.

Maybe it's your community? As a P-3 MC/TACCO, I never checked my crews preflights other than ensuring they were complete and asking for status. "You done?" "Everything good?" "Anything broke?" "Need anything?" If someone was in training, then they got observed closer but I never had anyone let me down. I saw plenty of 2Ps and 2Ps delegated to do the walk around too but it was really the FE who did the most through one.

Would it be seen as odd if a captain said “hey I’ll get the walk around this time” for whatever reason? Maybe if it’s a brand new FO or the captain just wants to for funsies?
I did a walk around just last night. My FO was running late so I helped him out.

Treetop Flyer

pilot

Not at all uncommon at my airline for a captain to do the walk around. Typically when the weather is nice and or if they see the FO is running late

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
Not at all uncommon at my airline for a captain to do the walk around. Typically when the weather is nice and or if they see the FO is running late
Had a Captain do a walk-around the other day because he "wanted to stretch his legs." But really he just felt guilty because he ran inside on the previous turn to get breakfast and asked me to stay with the jet and the APU running. The plan was to swap babysitting the jet, but he got caught in a crazy line and barely made it back in time. Then the FAs gave him massive shit for not bringing me anything since none of us had a chance to grab food due to the super early show. Hahaha. It wasn't a big deal to me, but the FAs laid it on thick. He insisted on giving me half his sandwich after that. Good dude, good Marine too.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
It really is fascinating to me how the military and the airlines differ on the topic of walk arounds. As an aircraft commander you’re taught to ensure you check everything yourself because you’re ultimately responsible when you sign for it.

My last 6 years in the Navy I never did a preflight walk around, the AWs in back did. I’d show up, ask if there were any issues, and hop in.