• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leveredup17

Marine OCS Candidate
As the title says, I just passed the ASTB with the minimums for a USMC OCS Air contract on my first go on 4/27/23; as there were plenty of helpful resources out there I would like to give back by answering whatever I can. Some main points that stuck out for me were as follows.

1. I feel as though I got free points by making sure I studied all of the Air / Naval knowledge - I used several different online flashcard decks and drilled them every day for a few days leading up to the exam, in my opinion given the variability in the test takers perceived difficulty of the OAR section, this is a great confidence boost to know you for sure have some easy points coming down the line
  2. I know I did not do as well as I could have in the math section, as many had alluded, the questions were harder than most test prep resources, and I wish I had listened to others who mentioned doing SAT-type algebra. Your mileage may vary but what I believe would have helped me the most was being quick with rules around exponents, and fractions, and being able to simplify expressions rapidly
  3. I feel slightly lucky as I tend to think the probability is relatively easier and I feel like I got a lot of those questions, most were straightforward, just make sure you read what exactly they are asking for (and vs. or) and study any charts they give you for a few quick seconds before diving into trying to answer
  4. All of the practice questions for mechanics were exactly the type you would see on the test; again felt like a place for "easier" points if one put in the time effort and energy into learning these. I used the Mometrix prep book which I felt was OK; again I felt like I got the most benefit from online flashcard decks
  5. For PBM, dig into all the resources on youtube / AW, use the compass rose technique for the UAV portion, and always focus on getting the left/right cue's right; I also mostly focused more attention when on the later parts of the PBM on tracking throttle as it seemed to be significantly easier, especially given that the low sensitivity + high range of motion on the joystick made the gunsight part harder
Good luck to everyone and feel free to DM me!

Anthony2000

PRO-REC Y SNA
USMC doesn’t care about your ASTB, do you fit the profile of a Marine? Can you lead from day 1, and can you get a 300PFT?

Anthony2000

PRO-REC Y SNA
Do you stand up straight? Have a clean haircut(crew cut/High fade? Wear collared shirts to all your meetings? Show up on time? Have leadership experience? Run a good mile time? Have piercings/tattoos visible? Have a clean shave?

Just a few of the things that will contribute way more than the ASTB…

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Please take ASTB posts to the mega-thread that was already referenced.

Status
Not open for further replies.