• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

I have the scholarship, but they won't let me use it

Status
Not open for further replies.

BurbPunk

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum but I have a bit of a situation and I decided that I'd ask.

I'm a senior in high school and I was given a 4 year Navy ROTC scholarship. That's the good news.

Bad news is, DODMERB and BUMED medically disqualified me for "a history of behavior and mood disorders and an academic skills defect". I don't have any of these; I had a small learning issue in elementary school and I got some treatment for simple childish behavior in middle school, nothing since then. I already sent them all the records and a letter clearing me from the old psychiatrist. They were actually nice enough to review my waiver application twice before disqualifying me. They make it sound like the DQ is case closed but the issues simply DO NOT EXIST. I'm getting some tests run to prove it in hopes of overturning it.

Does anyone know what else I can do to prove that I'm fit to serve?

I worked hard to earn that scholarship and I'm willing to apply again if my school change doesn't go through. However, to be told that I can never join ROTC or the military for something that doesn't exist is a bit much.
I would appreciate any responses, especially from people who overcame a similar issue.

arbor

I'm your huckleberry.
pilot
Try joining the NROTC unit at your school as a "College Program" option (for those w/out scholarship). If you can participate, contribute, and generally perform well for a year then hopefully the CO can send a letter of reccomendation with your waiver request stating you are able to perform. Isn't necessarily money in the bank, but I've seen it help with people in my unit.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
Get in contact with the unit's recruiting/4/C advisor (officer) and explain the sit to him. He may be able to give you some qualitiy advice.

KBayDog

Greatest advice ever. After your first physical or two, you'll "figure it out."

For example, you are supposed to list if you've ever had a headache, trouble sleeping, etc. Say "yes," and you are opening up a can of worms.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
KBayDog said:
For example, you are supposed to list if you've ever had a headache, trouble sleeping, etc. Say "yes," and you are opening up a can of worms.
Then why does everyone always say, "they will find out."

My asthma doesn't really exist-- on paper, yes there are a few inhaler perscriptions, but I don't actually suffer from the condition (long story). If I don't tell the recruiter, don't tell the doc at MEPS, or anybody, will they really bother to dive deep into my previous medical history to find dirt?

Sorry for the thread jack.

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
KBayDog said:
Cannot and will not give you medical advice. Sorry.
..but you'll give advice on a cruise sock?

eddiemac, that is a decision you'll have to make. Honesty is something military officers pride themselves on....among other traits. That being said, I can see your burning desire to get accepted into OCS/whatever your applying for....this is a very demanding and rewarding job. Can't imagine doing anything else.

Mayday

I thought that was the recline!
eddiemac0 said:
Then why does everyone always say, "they will find out."

My asthma doesn't really exist-- on paper, yes there are a few inhaler perscriptions, but I don't actually suffer from the condition (long story). If I don't tell the recruiter, don't tell the doc at MEPS, or anybody, will they really bother to dive deep into my previous medical history to find dirt?

Sorry for the thread jack.

It's not a thread jack. It's the issue.

They WON'T find out. Folks, don't confuse medical history streamlining with criminal record and "moral infraction" integrity. Two entirely different systems, two entirely different standards.
Always be completely forthcoming with any "moral" issues. For one thing, They always WILL find out, and for another, as a prospective officer and military man you want your career built on integrity anyway.
The medical system, on the other hand, is like the way college transcripts used to be. If it doesn't apply to you here and now, there's no reason to make it do so. NOBODY KNOWS OR CARES UNLESS YOU TELL THEM. There is no money driving random medical history investigations, until you get to the NASA level. Unless you mention it, IT DOESN'T EXIST. So no, ALL YOU ATHSMA PEOPLE out there especially, don't dish yourself up a bowl of crap you'll have to wade through, which is all you'll be doing when you offer up un-asked-for info. If you can run 3 miles (or 1.5 as a Navy man) without feeling like you're fighting a bear hugging your chest, don't wave the asthma flag. That applies to ALL past history. Former "ADD" and "ADHD" kids really have pointless problems trying to get in, and also need to heed this. Those two diagnoses are completely unwaiverable, even though they are still largely subjective (dependent on doctors' and parents' opinions) and along with asthma are among the most attriting medical factors of military applicants.

KBayDog

E5B said:
..but you'll give advice on a cruise sock?

No, I will not give advice on a cruise sock. I will just explain what one is. Why won't I give advice on a cruise sock? Because I've never been on a cruise.

Last I checked, my Phys Ed degree does not give me license to practice Naval medicine.

eddiemac, do what you think is right. I'll leave it at that.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
All this "integrity" business is in direct conflict with the first maxim of Naval Aviation: If you're not cheatin', then you're not trying.

Brett

BurbPunk

Thanks for all of the advice so far, I appreciate it. Please keep it coming. As to the "streamlining" of physicals, I actually fought my parents on that one; maybe they are right sometimes. Either way, it's too late for that.
Is it actually possible to join a unit as part of the College Program without running another physical first?
Someone gave me the exceptional advice of going back to the officer recruiter for them to set me up with a doctor to run some tests. Thanks goes out to them.
Is it a bright idea to inform the NROTC unit staff about the situation when they could just say that it's too hard and to get lost?
As I already told someone else, this thing isn't over until I get a cease and desist notice from BUMED (which is conveniently located 2 blocks from where I'll be going to school) :icon_mi_1 .

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
As long as this "is the issue," as Mayday put it, I'll clarify and elaborate. I was a fat twelve year-old kid whose mom got the doctor to, without any testing, give me an inhaler because I breathed hard when I ran. Now, at 17, I run just fine without the inhalers.

Truth is, I can say quite assuredly that I never had asthma; I have never had an attack. But, I have a medical history past the disqualifying age of 13.

I am going to a pulmonologist next week so I can have a battery of tests run that should medically prove (knock on wood) that I do not have asthma.

If the testing does indeed go my way (again, knocking on wood), would it be morally wrong to deny ever having asthma?

Really End Threadjack; promise.

First off, agreed on everything said so far regarding medical stuff. No, I've never had a headache, nor have I ever felt short of breath...

Here's my brief story:

- Joined AFROTC w/ scholarship. :)
- Denied due to medical history of "asthma" and because I took medication for mild depression in HS. :(
- I, in fact, don't have asthma, but had bronchitis once and misdiagnosed myself. Also, the depression could be traced to external environmental factors, and I had been off the meds for a few years. :)
- Pediatrician and other doctors wrote letters saying all this. :icon_smil
- Still denied AFROTC scholarship. :confused:
- Repeated process and denied again. :icon_rage
- Went to talk to NROTC. :)
- They waived everything and I'm commissioning 1390 (SNA). :D :D

Anyway, they do waive this stuff. One option you have, if you really want to be in the military, is try out the other services to see if they'll waive it (I doubt the AF will). The waiver stuff seems to be a way to keep numbers steady: too many people = no waivers, too few = waivers for all. One thing you could also do is talk to an OCS recruiter a few years down the road. I know that's not what you want to hear, but they might be hurting then. Plus, you will have had more time to "prove yourself" psychologically, since they seem to like this.

For now, I'd try to do the CP route (if they let you - I think they will for the first year or two) and keep working on those waivers. You can actually do a congressional appeal as a last resort (that's what I was faced with for the AF, decided to try Navy - best choice I could make :D ), but I'd guess it is hard to do and hard to succeed.

Mefesto said:
... Anything behaviorial or psychiatric is disqualifying...

Yes, but it seemed pretty easy for me to get a waiver.

Good luck!

CH

Mayday

I thought that was the recline!
eddiemac0 said:
...mom got the doctor to, without any testing, give me an inhaler because I breathed hard when I ran. Now, at 17, I run just fine without the inhalers...

Yes. Reference previous post again. I'm talking to you.
Check your PMs.

Status
Not open for further replies.