• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

I hate 121

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
Too old to go reserves or guard. I tried. Multiple times.
Really? How old are you? Over 60?

I get that the Naval Reserves might have a problem with age...due to your year group and all that. But unless you are creeping up on retirement age, you could most definitely join the ARNG as a warrant. I was 44 when I joined the ARNG. I have done two combat deployments since. I'm turning 59 next month. I am still flying.

Battlephrog

Really? How old are you? Over 60?

I get that the Naval Reserves might have a problem with age...due to your year group and all that. But unless you are creeping up on retirement age, you could most definitely join the ARNG as a warrant. I was 44 when I joined the ARNG. I have done two combat deployments since. I'm turning 59 next month. I am still flying.
Pushing 50 now. Something about my prior service and not having enough years left before retirement. Maybe it was bad timing or whatever but I’m not really pursuing that anymore.

Battlephrog

As I write this from my first class deadhead seat… A legacy, SWA, FedEx/UPS (referred to as the big six) are quite a bit different, especially when it comes to work rules. I was used and abused at my last gig, shit gate service, long sits waiting for the shuttle on a min rest overnight after a 4 leg day. My legacy is VERY different. Gates are usually open, 30 minutes after block in we’re in a cab if the shuttle doesn’t show, I get fed breakfast every day of the trip my flight is before whatever time. Long flights I get meals and snacks, first class deadheads and overall get to work with happy, helpful people both on the line and in the training department. I was having some problems landing on my new plane. Numerous people went out of their way to make sure I got extra touches in the sim and extra OE time to make sure I became consistently decent where I was having trouble and made sure I understood that I wasn’t in jeopardy while this was going on. My company has the equivalent of a squadron bar at the hotel across the road from out training center, where new hires get bought beer and regaled with stories by guys and girls on property for a while, on a very regular basis.

I live in base. At my regional I was used every day had 11 days off a month and flew 750 + hours my last 12 months. My current gig… I fly about 10-15% of what I used to because we‘re well staffed and I chose to bid reserve.

I’m sorry your specific company sucks, some of certainly have a reputation. It shouldn’t be too long before you’re out of there to a better gig as long as you put some effort into leaving, network and go to the job fairs. I’m still getting over the PTSD from my regional. When I got to my big six airline I felt like I was in an episode of black mirror because people were generally very happy where at my last gig we were all pretty burnt out and miserable.
Hey I appreciate your perspective. I can definitely see where being treated differently could make a difference. I’m sure there’s a reason I don’t see mainline crew at our hotels! Just having meals would be a big improvement.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
The consensus is @Battlephrog that you have a lucrative and high QOL next phase of your career at a Big 6 if you want that. Sounds like there is a lot of genuine empathy for your current situation.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Pushing 50 now. Something about my prior service and not having enough years left before retirement. Maybe it was bad timing or whatever but I’m not really pursuing that anymore.

Interesting. I assume this prior service was as an officer and not enlisted? If that is the case, you're definitely out for AGR. But a regular DSG can stay forever if they want to- we have a guy in our squadron who left AD and came here with more than 20 years worth of TAFMS- and technicians stay forever because they have to.

Have you tried multiple units/states?