• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

I hate 121

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Sometimes it feels like it!

That's okay, the PW-206s I fly throw oil out the back, too. It's like there are zero engine oil seals.

@Battlephrog Can we take a step back and look at where you are and where you want to be/what you're willing to do to change? Brett keeps chiming in with lots of helicopter jobs, but that's the problem with the civil helo job market...there's lots of options everywhere, but not necessarily where you want to be.

-Roughly where do you live in the country (region, or if you're willing, state)?

-You've said being away from family is an issue, is there a threshold to be away for a job you like?

-Are you willing to move the family to another location if the job is right?

If we/you can figure out the answers to these questions, it helps focus the job search efforts. And moving might not always be the best choice if the intermediate job to get hours isn't in a place where you want to stay.

If HEMS is where you want to go, and you're able to get the mins (and some places have lower mins), getting hired right now is easy. The companies are finally throwing a lot of money at their pilots to keep them.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I thought about going into the training department here but I'm not sure I want to be around these people more than I already am.
Have you looked at the training departments of any major airlines? Not sure what their pay looks like now, and the sked it probably hard. But at my airline they always seemed like pretty good guys. Never worked with any jerks in the class room or sim. Well, one once, in 32 years.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
I can't imagine how it's better at mainline. Same shit, different metal. Our work rules are pretty good from what I'm told, no junior manning and we can drop trips and trade whenever we want. The problem is, nothing about this job scratches any itch I have. I could live without this or that, but I'm having trouble finding a single thing I like about it.

Too old to go reserves or guard. I tried. Multiple times.

I get that it's just button mashing. I can live with that if I can fix the other stuff, but it sure doesn't feel like flying (I'm not implying it's not difficult- in fact learning the FMS/AP was one of the more challenging aspects).

The cities we visit are limited to airports with the highest workload, the gates are always full and we are always sitting and waiting because there's no gate or no ground crew. The hotels are average and frequently there's nowhere to eat. Layovers are short and when they are not, everyone keeps to themselves.

I don't think any one of these people has my back. There's no teamwork. There's little mentorship. There's a "figure it out yourself" attitude, then incredulity (or laughter) when you screw up. I ask a question and the captain scoffs and still doesn't answer the question. One CA said "they'll have to pay me CKA pay if they want me to teach FOs." Another told me "I'm always late so I expect you to have everything ready when I show up." I wish I could say it was only a few folks like this but it seems to be the majority. I think Zippy nailed it with his description: They're mostly the ones who want to leave but can't, so they're bitter and taking it out on the FOs.

I really enjoyed teaching when I was a CFI. I liked working with people, I liked my coworkers, I liked the flying, and especially being home every night. The ONLY problem was the pay. I thought about going into the training department here but I'm not sure I want to be around these people more than I already am. I'm going to give it more time, I'm hoping that it's just FNG acclimatization but I don't know yet. I'm dreading my next trip already.
In my opinion, you have well-considered reasons for not liking your line. I’d look into flight/sim training opportunities- that’s one aspect of my job I’ve found very rewarding, and there’s huge demand for instructors right now at places like Flight Safety and CAE, if the airline training houses don’t appeal to you or aren’t available.

Other airlines? Consider things like company culture and where the industry is now. Some of that may change over time. Other lines may have a better culture of camaraderie.

@Battlephrog I would suggest setting up a ride along with your local HEMS base. It would give you good gouge on what bases perform the type of flying you are seeking. If you are looking for the teamwork mentality, community based aircraft staffed with a nurse and medic will give you that. In contrast, hospital based aircraft staffed with the NICU/PICU teams are more akin to flying a bus. They don't do 911 calls. When they are not on a call, the teams may be helping out on the floor or off doing a transport on an ambulance. Community based crews often cook meals and watch Netflix together. Base culture varies and similar to your squadrons, can quickly change with crew turnover. This dashboard can give you an idea of who is near you: Air Medical Bases. They use to publish yearly PDFs of all the bases nationwide in a great format:
Map.jpg
List.jpg
If you or anyone would like a screen shot of a particular state(s), send a PM. The file is too big for upload here or email.

The company I work for has many pilot openings because they left for the airlines. Many of the openings are in rural areas. Once a pilot gains enough seniority, they transfer closer to home. Pilots are scheduled 12 hour shifts. 7 days on, 7 days off. Most rural bases have off duty housing. @Gatordev made very good points in regards to your preferences being away from family and what you are willing to do for the right job.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
@Battlephrog I would suggest setting up a ride along with your local HEMS base. It would give you good gouge on what bases perform the type of flying you are seeking. If you are looking for the teamwork mentality, community based aircraft staffed with a nurse and medic will give you that. In contrast, hospital based aircraft staffed with the NICU/PICU teams are more akin to flying a bus. They don't do 911 calls. When they are not on a call, the teams may be helping out on the floor or off doing a transport on an ambulance. Community based crews often cook meals and watch Netflix together. Base culture varies and similar to your squadrons, can quickly change with crew turnover. This dashboard can give you an idea of who is near you: Air Medical Bases. They use to publish yearly PDFs of all the bases nationwide in a great format:
View attachment 36433
View attachment 36434
If you or anyone would like a screen shot of a particular state(s), send a PM. The file is too big for upload here or email.

The company I work for has many pilot openings because they left for the airlines. Many of the openings are in rural areas. Once a pilot gains enough seniority, they transfer closer to home. Pilots are scheduled 12 hour shifts. 7 days on, 7 days off. Most rural bases have off duty housing. @Gatordev made very good points in regards to your preferences being away from family and what you are willing to do for the right job.
I see the guys at 2W5 (Medstar-2 Maryland Airport on the map) all the time. Sometimes they wave back as we pass.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
his dashboard can give you an idea of who is near you: Air Medical Bases. They use to publish yearly PDFs of all the bases nationwide in a great format:

That's a great resource. I will say it's very incomplete as it's missing a lot of bases in certain regions (like pretty much all of Florida), but it's a great place to start.

If you are looking for the teamwork mentality, community based aircraft staffed with a nurse and medic will give you that. In contrast, hospital based aircraft staffed with the NICU/PICU teams are more akin to flying a bus. They don't do 911 calls.
Hybrid bases also do the same thing. There are also bases that may have two sets of Med Crew, one NICU/PICU team who will work in the hospital, and one team that stays with the pilot for scene calls.

Community based crews often cook meals and watch Netflix together.
Very much this.

That's a great resource. I will say it's very incomplete as it's missing a lot of bases in certain regions (like pretty much all of Florida), but it's a great place to start.
Lacking indeed. I would love to see aircraft type as well. Will you or any of your crews be attending AMTC?
Florida Map.jpg
Florida List.jpg
Florida List 2.jpg

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Rumor has it the MH-139 schoolhouse at Maxwell AFB will be staffed with 50% IP's that are GS-12 or 13. The roles will not require type specific experience, only graduate of military RW pilot training, COMM and Medical Second Class.

HuggyU2

None
I can't imagine how it's better at mainline.
Then you have no imagination. Have you actually had conversations with pilots at the Big 6? Let's re-focus for a second: you are in an "entry level part 121 job".
Same shit, different metal. Our work rules are pretty good from what I'm told, no junior manning and we can drop trips and trade whenever we want.
"Same shit, different metal"... and then you list a multitude of things that aren't a reality in my Part 121 world.
The problem is, nothing about this job scratches any itch I have. I could live without this or that, but I'm having trouble finding a single thing I like about it.
It doesn't really scratch my itch, in an of itself... but the pay and time off allow me to scratch a lot of itches.
The cities we visit are limited to airports with the highest workload, the gates are always full and we are always sitting and waiting because there's no gate or no ground crew. The hotels are average and frequently there's nowhere to eat. Layovers are short and when they are not, everyone keeps to themselves.
As a pilot at a Big 6 airline, I cannot relate to this. But you know... same shit, different metal.
I don't think any one of these people has my back. There's no teamwork. There's little mentorship. There's a "figure it out yourself" attitude, then incredulity (or laughter) when you screw up. I ask a question and the captain scoffs and still doesn't answer the question. One CA said "they'll have to pay me CKA pay if they want me to teach FOs." Another told me "I'm always late so I expect you to have everything ready when I show up." I wish I could say it was only a few folks like this but it seems to be the majority. I think Zippy nailed it with his description: They're mostly the ones who want to leave but can't...
This is night and day from my current experience as a Big 6 pilot. Certainly no "same shit, different metal".
I really enjoyed teaching when I was a CFI. The ONLY problem was the pay.
Pay being the ONLY problem is still a significant problem. Instructional opportunities exist at at least one of the Big 6. And it pays incredibly well.
I don't know what a rotorwing career looks like, nor do I know if it is enough pay to satisfy you. However, your analysis of Big 6 Part 121 appears to be very flawed, unresearched, and cynical. You should at least give it a fair shake. Not because it affects me... but because when you peel it back, you may find a career that will allow you to do the "itch scratching" you want, as well as the personal satisfaction you derive from teaching.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
If any helo guys are thinking about this and have some questions, HAI is hosting a webinar for Mil2Civ helicopters.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
I can't imagine how it's better at mainline. Same shit, different metal. Our work rules are pretty good from what I'm told, no junior manning and we can drop trips and trade whenever we want. The problem is, nothing about this job scratches any itch I have. I could live without this or that, but I'm having trouble finding a single thing I like about it.

Too old to go reserves or guard. I tried. Multiple times.

I get that it's just button mashing. I can live with that if I can fix the other stuff, but it sure doesn't feel like flying (I'm not implying it's not difficult- in fact learning the FMS/AP was one of the more challenging aspects).

I don't think any one of these people has my back. There's no teamwork. There's little mentorship. There's a "figure it out yourself" attitude, then incredulity (or laughter) when you screw up. I ask a question and the captain scoffs and still doesn't answer the question. One CA said "they'll have to pay me CKA pay if they want me to teach FOs." Another told me "I'm always late so I expect you to have everything ready when I show up." I wish I could say it was only a few folks like this but it seems to be the majority. I think Zippy nailed it with his description: They're mostly the ones who want to leave but can't, so they're bitter and taking it out on the FOs.

I really enjoyed teaching when I was a CFI. I liked working with people, I liked my coworkers, I liked the flying, and especially being home every night. The ONLY problem was the pay. I thought about going into the training department here but I'm not sure I want to be around these people more than I already am. I'm going to give it more time, I'm hoping that it's just FNG acclimatization but I don't know yet. I'm dreading my next trip already.

As I write this from my first class deadhead seat… A legacy, SWA, FedEx/UPS (referred to as the big six) are quite a bit different, especially when it comes to work rules. I was used and abused at my last gig, shit gate service, long sits waiting for the shuttle on a min rest overnight after a 4 leg day. My legacy is VERY different. Gates are usually open, 30 minutes after block in we’re in a cab if the shuttle doesn’t show, I get fed breakfast every day of the trip my flight is before whatever time. Long flights I get meals and snacks, first class deadheads and overall get to work with happy, helpful people both on the line and in the training department. I was having some problems landing on my new plane. Numerous people went out of their way to make sure I got extra touches in the sim and extra OE time to make sure I became consistently decent where I was having trouble and made sure I understood that I wasn’t in jeopardy while this was going on. My company has the equivalent of a squadron bar at the hotel across the road from out training center, where new hires get bought beer and regaled with stories by guys and girls on property for a while, on a very regular basis.

I live in base. At my regional I was used every day had 11 days off a month and flew 750 + hours my last 12 months. My current gig… I fly about 10-15% of what I used to because we‘re well staffed and I chose to bid reserve.

I’m sorry your specific company sucks, some of certainly have a reputation. It shouldn’t be too long before you’re out of there to a better gig as long as you put some effort into leaving, network and go to the job fairs. I’m still getting over the PTSD from my regional. When I got to my big six airline I felt like I was in an episode of black mirror because people were generally very happy where at my last gig we were all pretty burnt out and miserable.

Last edited: