• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

I flew my first Solo today!

phrogpilot73

First Solo - had a near mid air. Was heads down looking at the radio as I dialed up P-Cola approach, as I looked up another T-34 that was heading towards course rules flew above me over my left shoulder. Seemed closer than it probably was, but I reported it to the ODO when I returned and got an ass chewing for relying on NACWS.

Second Solo - greyed myself out doing a loop, forgot to hook. Decided it was time for me to call it quits, established an orbit over one of the towns in Area Two, and trimmed in a turn until it was time to head back on course rules.

Something tells me it's a good thing that I fly a multi-crew aircraft.

hokieav8r

~Bring the Wood!~
None
Solo'd the mighty TH-67 in March 2000. It was you and another student. One of the coolest things ever done. Having 12-18 hours in a helicopter and having them say, "No Autos, no low approaches, no run ons! I know your kind!!!!" The Basic Combat Skills solo in the OH-58 was awesome. We had a chase bird, that started following us from LZ to LZ. So we started giving him prank radio calls, leading him to other LZs to get them to quit following our bird.

johnny utah

still bigger than hip-hop
pilot
Oct 14, 2004 Piper Archer N964WC... before the solo I did two landings while my instructor endorsed my logbook. He said something like, "I know you're ready so I'm not even gonna look up." Then he stepped out. I can still picture my first solo TO and hear myself saying "F#$% Yeah!" a few times. As I remember, the plane climbed a lot better with only myself in it. Because i didn't account for the extra lift, my first approach was a go-around. Then, the second turn in pattern i got cut-off on base. This other solo student had extended his downwind way too far. And he didn't bother to call his base or final. So here I am on base when my instructor calls out "Hey you got that guy on final?" Wasn't exactly a near miss, as I was a little high and he was draggin' it in, but needless to I learned the importance of always checking final for traffic.

Congrats.

MAKE VAPES

Uncle Pettibone
pilot
:eek:I had a siezed flap motor on my first solo in Turbowiener, couldn't figure out why the warning horn was buzzing/beeping (i can't remember what it sounded like) for climbout to NGP warning areas after knocking out my touch and goes first. Called Base then RDO after nearly crapping myself (remember where the flap motor is mounted, overheat, possible fire, fun on first solo). Anyways, the circuit breaker did it's job, flaps stopped travel 3/4 of the way up. RDO says "check the Flap Motor Circuit Breaker in"... I called to confirm what he said and the ODO jumped in and prevented my dumb ass from having the RDO (and me) possibly blow myself up. Landed flying no flap numbers uneventfully, taxied back in asking tower why the hell the fire trucks were following me. They didn't answer so I shut er down right on the taxiway and got a tow.
Got a few scooby snacks on my gradesheet!

:eek:Third Tomcat Flight is yer first flight with a RIO (no two sticked tomcats, you NATOPS check in the sim, solo first actual flight), Full Flap Zone 5 (full Afterburner), rotation to Left engine Low Pressure Turbine internal FOD and Blowout.

4 hours total in the jet, single engine at 140ish knots at 1 inchish off the ground in a jet that likes to flip upside down single engine (ref Karen Hultgren video). Enormous BANG in jet, big yaw, engine stall tone and light left, TIT off the peg, "Set 10 degrees, Rudder, Burner, Gear". Right turns only to 10000 foot runway (thought the arresting gear was rigged there, it wasn't) (tried to dump gas from 3000ish feet, RIO talked me out of it...) so I (it's "we" when we do something good) dragged my hook down the runway. Last three stages of turbine gone.
Got way more than 2 scooby snacks on that flight...

TF-30's, never actually meant for the jet...
NEVER FLY THE "A" MODEL OF ANYTHING!

Be uber preped for your first solo, god knows anything can happen.:icon_smil

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
Old - or at least older - guy slang for an above (in the old above/below grading scheme)

Haha is that pretty much gone now? Seems due for a comeback...I'm sure there's some way the term could be worked into the new grading scheme.

Bugsmasher

Another Non-qual SWO Ensign
C-172R N656MA in Lake in the Hills, IL on 7/11/06 :)

Nothing eventful, 3 full stops in an empty pattern. I remember being nervous because my ammeter showed a tiny discharge (uncontrolled field so it didn't even matter). The residual rain from Katrina was on its way so it was a little rushed. Still, a day to remember!

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
C-172R N656MA in Lake in the Hills, IL on 7/11/06 :)

Nothing eventful, 3 full stops in an empty pattern. I remember being nervous because my ammeter showed a tiny discharge (uncontrolled field so it didn't even matter). The residual rain from Katrina was on its way so it was a little rushed. Still, a day to remember!

Sooo...this Cessna also doubled as a time machine, then?

MAKE VAPES

Uncle Pettibone
pilot
Old - or at least older - guy slang for an above (in the old above/below grading scheme)

Thats hillarious... old, im old, holly shit I AM OLD... Folks don't know Scooby Doo??????

Used to talk about Wonder Woman being the only pilot who could go belly up safelly on a CV (turning) rendevous. That we don't fly clear/invisible jets so if you are going to lose sight belly up blind, you should reconsider...

I got blank stares back.. now I know why... Super Friends?

CRAP. Guess I'll keep trying to pass the torch on.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
:eek:I had a siezed flap motor on my first solo in Turbowiener, couldn't figure out why the warning horn was buzzing/beeping (i can't remember what it sounded like) for climbout to NGP warning areas after knocking out my touch and goes first. Called Base then RDO after nearly crapping myself (remember where the flap motor is mounted, overheat, possible fire, fun on first solo). Anyways, the circuit breaker did it's job, flaps stopped travel 3/4 of the way up. RDO says "check the Flap Motor Circuit Breaker in"... I called to confirm what he said and the ODO jumped in and prevented my dumb ass from having the RDO (and me) possibly blow myself up. Landed flying no flap numbers uneventfully, taxied back in asking tower why the hell the fire trucks were following me. They didn't answer so I shut er down right on the taxiway and got a tow.
Got a few scooby snacks on my gradesheet!

:eek:Third Tomcat Flight is yer first flight with a RIO (no two sticked tomcats, you NATOPS check in the sim, solo first actual flight), Full Flap Zone 5 (full Afterburner), rotation to Left engine Low Pressure Turbine internal FOD and Blowout.

4 hours total in the jet, single engine at 140ish knots at 1 inchish off the ground in a jet that likes to flip upside down single engine (ref Karen Hultgren video). Enormous BANG in jet, big yaw, engine stall tone and light left, TIT off the peg, "Set 10 degrees, Rudder, Burner, Gear". Right turns only to 10000 foot runway (thought the arresting gear was rigged there, it wasn't) (tried to dump gas from 3000ish feet, RIO talked me out of it...) so I (it's "we" when we do something good) dragged my hook down the runway. Last three stages of turbine gone.
Got way more than 2 scooby snacks on that flight...

TF-30's, never actually meant for the jet...
NEVER FLY THE "A" MODEL OF ANYTHING!

Be uber preped for your first solo, god knows anything can happen.:icon_smil

Were you a pilot or NFO? There are NFO wings under your name.