• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

I flew my first Solo today!

sbpilot

172SP on my 16th birthday in 05'. Took a cell phone pick on downwind of the empty seat next to me... good times

Captain Coz

pilot
Contributor
My First Acrobatic Solo

My first acrobatic solo in the T-34B (which was our second overall solo back then) was one of those flights where if anything that could go wrong did go wrong. I turned a simple loop into a stall at the top then turned my correction into a tail skid, split S, almost blacked out but some how made it through the flight. That was 36 years and some 28,000 flight hours ago of Navy, Navy Reserve and airline flying. It still stands out as one of the highlights of my aviation career.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
It may have only been a -172 but it was so AMAZING! Just a simple 3 T/O and landings. It got me wondering what everyone's first Solo was like? Stories are welcome

Congrats on your solo bro! My solo was in N72CP, a 152 in Suffolk Va. in 2001, good times!

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
So wait, you did PA's during your FAM solo?!? Shame on you. At least you weren't "dogfighting".

I forgot to mention that during my FAM solo, I had a near mid-air. During PA's, I grayed myself out on a loop. Something tells me having another pilot with me is a good thing...

Come ON, Phrogpilot!

You haven't LIVED until you've strafed a herd of Las Cruces cows at 500' AGL (what was the 3710 minimum again? :D) all the while blowing the raspberry to simulate "guns on".

:D

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Come ON, Phrogpilot!

You haven't LIVED until you've strafed a herd of Las Cruces cows at 500' AGL (what was the 3710 minimum again? :D) all the while blowing the raspberry to simulate "guns on".

:D

Rookie. Everyone knows you push the rudder shaker switch to fire the "guns."

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
That was actually a veiled reference to some peers that were flying their solo on the same day - decided to turn off their transponders and "dogfight". They didn't get winged...

How'd they get caught?

*note to primary studs: In case this isn't obvious.....this is a very bad idea.

fresh

Naval Aviator and Harrier Jock
pilot
reminds me of my first solo.. which was coincidentally on my birthday... the skipper cleared me to go solo.. then went up to tower to say happy b'day on tower freq... good time that was... and yes.. single seaters are the most fun.....

phrogpilot73

How'd they get caught?

*note to primary studs: In case this isn't obvious.....this is a very bad idea.
If I recall correctly, approach noticed they weren't squawking anymore and notified the ODO. I think an IP was in the area and went to go see - and sure enough saw them. My memory is a little hazy about it though.

bbf7b2

pilot
Yesterday morning I sent my first student up for a first solo since I became a CFI. I realize now that a student's first solo can be more nerve-wracking for the instructor than for the student. She did a great job but I was sweating bullets the whole time just thinking about how I wasn't there to get her out of any trouble anymore. Now that I think about it I bet that's how my parents felt when they sent me off to college. Any IPs or CFIs out there with any interesting stories of your solo students scaring the crap out of you?

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
On a side note, since I think I remember badger saying he flew good ole 98960 at Mobile Downtown (as did I): I had my checkride today for FO contacts and we went to...Mobile Downtown, where (gasp) 98960 had a dude soloing in the pattern.

That was kind of a cool experience...kind of like a "wow, look how far I've come and how far left I have to go" deal, except for when I keyed the mic and barely stopped myself from saying "960" for the 180 call :eek:.

Python

pilot
Contributor
Yesterday morning I sent my first student up for a first solo since I became a CFI. I realize now that a student's first solo can be more nerve-wracking for the instructor than for the student. She did a great job but I was sweating bullets the whole time just thinking about how I wasn't there to get her out of any trouble anymore. Now that I think about it I bet that's how my parents felt when they sent me off to college. Any IPs or CFIs out there with any interesting stories of your solo students scaring the crap out of you?

Yeah, any first solo.

pilot06

Had a 16 year old student on his second solo steal the plane. I told him to meet me at the airport at 0900 and he could go fly the pattern a few times. I specifically told him I had to be at the airport before he could go up. He and his dad got to the airport at about 0830 and his dad told him not to wait for me. He was taking off just as I was walking in. I went to go call tower to call him in, but as I reached for the phone it rang and it was tower telling me that my student had left the pattern, gotten lost and had to be given vectors to get back to the airport. Needless to say I was a bit pissed. When he got back in from his flight I took his logbook and wrote "VOID" in black sharpie on the endorsement I'd given him and told him I was no longer his flight instructor. His dad got pissed and bitched to my boss. My boss backed me up and basically blackballed the kid from flying in the entire metro area. Funny thing was I don't think the kid would have done what he did had it not been for his dad egging him on to leave before I got there (by the way the kid's dad was a pompus ass). The kid was a good pilot and I wouldn't have signed him off to solo if he'd sucked, but you can't go around stealing airplanes on your second solo.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I'm starting to sense some fishing stories. You caught a 5 inch trout but telling the story it comes out as a 10lb large mouth bass. My first solo, a Cherokee Warrior, 4 touch-n-go's, one full stop, no drama.