• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

I flew my first Solo today!

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
FL180 and then a prompt dive (only around 200. Wasn't brave enough for a Vne dive after skirting Class A) once I checked the altimeter.... :p

SkidGear

My first solo was in the "mighty" R22..talk about touchy... you could def feel the loss of weight considering I took off and almost flew backwards..it was like trying to blance a pogo stick on a bouncy ball....that is the honest truth..but it was great would not trade it for anything

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
A better story is on my solo cross country I did a touch and go (officially a stop and go) at evergreen with a couple t-34s in the pattern (I loved that they had to wait for me to land and get out of there).

Yeah, great, thank. We all really appreciated that.

A Vne dive in the Turbo Mentor!?!?! Dude you are fucking nuts!! Kids, don't try this at home...

Not that solos a) should be doing it, or b) have the airspace to do it in safely, but...what's the big deal? I wouldn't take it all the way to the barber pole because of the pullout, but it can get going pretty quick w/out a problem.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
How close before you pulled off?

270 before the incredible noise and buffeting scared me off... plus Ft. Morgan was getting mighty big in the windscreen.

It's been 11 years now. I do remember using the entire Foxtrot block off the beach in Corpus I was assigned.

pilot06

Just wait till you send a student on his first solo......I think I was more nervous than he was.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
My first area solo in the mighty "Traumahawk" out of PNA. I went to start the engine, and had not set the parking brake very well (possibly at all?) and was not exactly covering the brakes.

I start the engine and the thing takes off toward the hangar. I got on the brakes, making a beautiful 90 degree pivot to the right. Of course I was right across from the office, so i finished my checklist as quickly as possible, taxi'd the wrong way around the planes, and called for my taxi on the move.

I never heard a word from my IFS instructor, or tower, or even the maintenance guys in the hangar that HAD to see me...

I guess better lucky than good some days.

N2419C

ProwlerPilot

pilot
3. The Harrier is aging faster than Jack Douglas?

JESUS CHRIST! We cannot Fvcking live like this Bolter!! WE CANNOT LIVE LIKE THIS! :D (Pound your fist on something hard and then throw a PCL to get the full effect!)

My first solo was to area 2 north of Whiting. Great day, great times, but soon realized when you get rudder shakers at the top of the loop, pulling harder only makes it worse. That whole relax back stick and ease AOA didn't really sink in until later. Scared my self silly.... Also never heard so many damn different noises in the plane until that day. "Is that my engine?" "What was that thump?" "Why does it sound louder today than normal?"

phrogpilot73

My first solo was to area 2 north of Whiting. Great day, great times, but soon realized when you get rudder shakers at the top of the loop, pulling harder only makes it worse. That whole relax back stick and ease AOA didn't really sink in until later. Scared my self silly.... Also never heard so many damn different noises in the plane until that day. "Is that my engine?" "What was that thump?" "Why does it sound louder today than normal?"
So wait, you did PA's during your FAM solo?!? Shame on you. At least you weren't "dogfighting".

I forgot to mention that during my FAM solo, I had a near mid-air. During PA's, I grayed myself out on a loop. Something tells me having another pilot with me is a good thing...

jpmatta16

Tower had called and said " 152pf extend your downwind ill call your base" so i kept on flying... i was so nervous that i missed his called, 10 minutes later i heard him on the radio telling a bonanza that he was # 2 after a a cessna that was on a 2 mile final and i started wondering if that was me, so i called him and he said " 152pf i told you to turn base 10 minutes ago you are in whitted air space turn around" i messed up the whole pattern traffic i was pretty scare, but at the end came to land safely.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
On my final pattern check-ride before I was supposed to solo a glider, my instructor and I experienced a winch failure resulting in a rather smashed up sailplane. Mother LOVED that...

Spent the rest of the day checking me out in another airframe. I launched practically as the sun was setting, have some cool footage of me on base leg crossing the moon.

Bolter

pilot
JESUS CHRIST! We cannot Fvcking live like this Bolter!! WE CANNOT LIVE LIKE THIS! :D (Pound your fist on something hard and then throw a PCL to get the full effect!

One thing is for sure... if I am ever on the road in a harrier and I know my engine is about to shit itself, I am going to aim it for the sim building in Meridian and take the Dizzle out!!!

a2b2c3

Mmmm Poundcake
pilot
Contributor
-152 over out of Bay Bridge Airport in Maryland. They needed to get my solo out so I launched about 30 minutes before sunset. Had enough time to fly out to clear the ADIZ around DC (I hate that thing by the way, felt worse for the Lee guys) and turn around and make 1 full stop landing. My instructor was almost ready to turn on the field lights for me.