• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

I can't reach the map.

Morgan81

It's not my lawn. It's OUR lawn.
pilot
Contributor
Doesn't really hold a candle to punching yourself out, but in the line of weird shit...I was flying a 172 out of Beaufort, NC. I had less than 50 hours, but I had my PPL. On climb-out about 400' AGL I wanted to adjust my seat forward. Can anybody figure out what happened next? Don't ever do weird shit when you're in an airplane.
Just don't hang on to the yoke when you do that. I'm pretty sure Cessna stopped selling single engines after some dope's chair stop failed on short final and he had a death grip on it. The family sued and Cessna bagged the market for a few years.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
On climb-out about 400' AGL I wanted to adjust my seat forward. Can anybody figure out what happened next? Don't ever do weird shit when you're in an airplane.
I adjusted mine at 30' AGL. I don't know which was worse, the terror of not being able to reach the controls or the stall horn going off because I just shifted the Center Of Gravity (I was 15 # heavier then:D)

Just go negative G, works great in the T-2 for dropped maps. ;)
One of the S-3 squadrons had a flight where a guy dropped something and they tried to use negative G to get it without unstrapping and getting out of the seat. Well the "Frick" (180# of lead weights) in back left seat was not properly secured and went through the canopy in the back. A convertible S-3 is not a good thing.

Yah. If I don't have it in arms reach (read as under thighs or on glareshield) I am not going to be able to get it while flying. I learned that on BI-10, and have planned accordingly since.
The T-45 is not ergonomically friendly. Once something is in the map case, you can pretty much count on being in an unusual attitude if you attempt to get it. Where this gets interesting is when you are doing a partial panel approach and need to get out your plates for your divert.....True story.

jeff_264

On my second flight my instructer and I almost had a midair with a idiot foreigner flying a P-51, I was so dumb I didnt fully realize what almost happend till after we landed and everyone asked us why we were flying formation with the 51.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
On my second flight my instructer and I almost had a midair with a idiot foreigner flying a P-51, I was so dumb I didnt fully realize what almost happend till after we landed and everyone asked us why we were flying formation with the 51.
Funny that the guy in the P-51 was saying some idiot 15 year old in a 172 was trying to fly formation on him.:D

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There are those that have dropped something in the cockpit and those that will!! :D

Me, I dropped a mechanical pencil in the front cockpit. We safed up, I unstrapped and grabbed the pencil and then strapped back in and we re-armed the seats. I didn't want to call the jet down for FOD upon landing....plus who knows where it would have disappeared upon landing rollout.

-ea6bflyr ;)

jeff_264

Yea, probably what he told the owner of the plane. I kinda wish I would have been on the ground when he landed,the guys on the ground said that he let everyone climb in the cockpit and take pictures in the plane, would have liked to done that.:D But the time in the air was 10 times better.

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
Ya know, I rented a -150 out of New Bern, NC one day to take my wife flying. As we're getting situated I noticed a pillow in the back. I didn't pay any more attention to it until on take off when I applied full power my seat collapsed backward! Fortunately I had enough were-withall to not try and hold my self upright with the yolk. I guess the pillow was used to provide support with the collapsed seat-back. Sounds like there's a few stories here regarding similar occurences. I wonder if it's actually killed anyone?

Doesn't really hold a candle to punching yourself out, but in the line of weird shit...I was flying a 172 out of Beaufort, NC. I had less than 50 hours, but I had my PPL. On climb-out about 400' AGL I wanted to adjust my seat forward. Can anybody figure out what happened next? Don't ever do weird shit when you're in an airplane.

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
There are those that have dropped something in the cockpit and those that will!! :D

Me, I dropped a mechanical pencil in the front cockpit. We safed up, I unstrapped and grabbed the pencil and then strapped back in and we re-armed the seats. I didn't want to call the jet down for FOD upon landing....plus who knows where it would have disappeared upon landing rollout.

-ea6bflyr ;)

Approach plate for me on a primary instrument hop. Luckily I was able to get without the pilot noticing too much. My next purchase was a strap to hold it to my leg.

Batteries for me. It was one of the PA flights in the 34 (I think it was a do-over since the first time we tried this flight we had to PEL cause of fuel fumes). The instructor took controls to do the inverted flight demonstration and after rolling, the batteries from my kneeboard popped out and fell to the canopy and then made their way behind the instrument panel. Yay for FOD. I certainly felt like a champion that day.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
I dug around for my primary atj and looked for the grade sheet and it was actually streaming fuel.
My favorite flight in primary was that stupid one where you do a PEL and they make you put the mask on and open the canopy....it is designed to make make you not want jets.:D

jnb921

Was watching that video and saw this in the link on youtube (explicit language), pretty funny stuff, says something about a foreign exchange guy and a T-38 IP who is trying to get him to turn the heat off. sorry if its a repost.