• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Hurricane IKE

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
From the NASK meeting today, I gathered that we were mando-evac at 0800 Thursday and that NASCC & Ingelside were all on the same page.

Seems to be consistent with things I have heard on an extremely unofficial level. I agree that it is very counter-productive to hold the evac so long......Corpus (the city) is getting out of town as we speak, and being stuck on I37 for half the day tomorrow is not going to be pretty. I guess if we can't be first, we can at least be last. :)

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
So let me get this straight. All sims and ground school are canceled tomorrow, and the last of the evac aircraft are leaving tomorrow morning, however we haven't received word that we can personally leave yet? Seems to be quite the opposite of what we were told at the HURREVAC stand down. The bit about "we'll make sure that we can leave before the rest of the city does". Obviously there's good reason to have us stick around, you know with no sims, no instructional flights and no ground school Thursday or Friday, right?

The deal is that once the evac is made mandatory the Navy is now on the hook for per-diem for all of us. we each get about 166/day while we are gone. That is a lot of money...so really they are weighing money vs. lives right now...not that I'm cynical today:icon_smil

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
There's supposed to be a meeting this afternoon where they'll make that decision. We were told to keep checking our frontpage for updates.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah, it's money, but it's more than that. Halting training even for a few days (which is what happens once you set COR 3) also shuts off the incoming student flow. If you do that when you don't need to - hurricane turns at the last minute or fizzles before making landfall, which can and does happen - you've created a huge trainwreck of students that can take months to unravel.

I'm as cynical about the Big Blue Machine as anybody, but don't get the idea that Big Navy is keeping you in town because it doesn't want to cough up the Benjamins.

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
Yeah, it's money, but it's more than that. Halting training even for a few days (which is what happens once you set COR 3) also shuts off the incoming student flow. If you do that when you don't need to - hurricane turns at the last minute or fizzles before making landfall, which can and does happen - you've created a huge trainwreck of students that can take months to unravel.

I'm as cynical about the Big Blue Machine as anybody, but don't get the idea that Big Navy is keeping you in town because it doesn't want to cough up the Benjamins.

According to the NASCC homepage we set COR 3 today. Didn't the hurricanes back in '04 mess up the training schedule at Whiting for awhile?

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
He hates these cans! Or in this case, the CLP5 Model seems to hate Pensacola...

storm_09.gif

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
According to the NASCC homepage we set COR 3 today. Didn't the hurricanes back in '04 mess up the training schedule at Whiting for awhile?
Ivan? Yep. FAM-4 in late August, FAM-5 in mid-October.

//VT-3 alum from those days

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
The deal is that once the evac is made mandatory the Navy is now on the hook for per-diem for all of us. we each get about 166/day while we are gone. That is a lot of money...so really they are weighing money vs. lives right now...not that I'm cynical today:icon_smil

How does this whole per-diem thing work? Do you only get the full amount if you stay in a hotel? What if you stay with relatives somewhere? And if you stay in a cheap hotel or split a room with somebody, do they only cover what you are out of pocket, or just automatically give you the full $166?

voodooqueen

DAR Lapsarian
By bike you mean motorcycle or bicycle-bike? If the former, double-check that your comprehensive covers flooding from hurricanes. Friend of mine got screwed like that after Isabel hit Norfolk in '03 and washed out his car. Took him six months calling shenanigans on the company before they finally paid up...then refused to renew his policy.
State Farm covered my car loss due to a hurricane--it was covered by comprehensive. I still miss that Supra though.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
How does this whole per-diem thing work? Do you only get the full amount if you stay in a hotel? What if you stay with relatives somewhere? And if you stay in a cheap hotel or split a room with somebody, do they only cover what you are out of pocket, or just automatically give you the full $166?

You claim what you spent on a travel claim and they reimburse you (based on receipts) up to your daily limit.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
I think I posted the numbers earlier...but just for you:
112/day for hotel, you don't get any leftover, so spend it. 51/day for food, that you do get the leftover, so eat wisely (or don't care and blow that too) and then 3/day incidentals (dry cleaning money)

Grand total 166/day. Check DTS or talk to Admin for more in-depth detail...

And I just got off the phone with the EOC (961-2953) and the answer I got was:
"The CO has not issued a mandatory evac.; he will have a meeting at 0700 and 1100 tomorrow and will make the decision then."

I share the same frustration as gtg941f...we were told we would get the word to go early to beat the town. The earliest we will get the notice now is 0800 Thursday. My broke ass isn't evacing without per-diem, and we can't get per-diem 'till they call the evac. So I get to wait on the EOC who has to wait on the tracker to tell them how far north this thing is gonna go. So much for early and safe...can't wait for my six-hour to drive to San Antonio.

Just for reference, we weren't released from NAS Pensacola until 1200 on Tuesday and Hurricane Ivan hit midnight Wednesday. 36 hours is plenty for the Navy, I expect the same will apply here...noon Thursday evac for a midnight Friday landfall. You can take that to the bank

The (unhappy) Pickle