• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How to build an AR15?

utak

Minor question about AR-15 class rifles.

Are any of you familiar with the new gas piston operated AR rifles? I'm interesting in getting an AR style rifle that's gas piston operated (for the simple fact that it's much easier to clean and more reliable).

The HK416 will virtually never hit our shores for quite a while, and I was recommended the LWRC rifle brand by a very trusted friend of mine (post Hell Week brownshirt). He also said something how gas piston uppers will fit perfectly with conventional AR-15 lowers.

Has anyone any experience with LWRC, or any other type of piston operated rifle? Also, the best way to get some of these uppers?

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!

Are any of you familiar with the new gas piston operated AR rifles? I'm interesting in getting an AR style rifle that's gas piston operated (for the simple fact that it's much easier to clean and more reliable).

The HK416 will virtually never hit our shores for quite a while, and I was recommended the LWRC rifle brand by a very trusted friend of mine (post Hell Week brownshirt). He also said something how gas piston uppers will fit perfectly with conventional AR-15 lowers.

Has anyone any experience with LWRC, or any other type of piston operated rifle? Also, the best way to get some of these uppers?

I shot a 3 round burst out of a HK416 not too long ago. (3 rounds in mag on full-auto) Felt pretty damn solid.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
I've got some questions on Kalifornia M4's.

I read the law that Squid posted earlier in the thread and it makes it sound like AR-15s in general are not allowed in California. Exactly what parts are you using to get around this? I dont really understand the "off-list" lower or the magazine requirements. Some insight would be helpful!

I am just now looking into the rifle/carbine side of shooting after being into pistols the whole time. I'm trying to get my ass to Norfolk after advanced instead of CA, but I'd like to get a carbine that I could make legal for CA if I had to. I've looked into Saigas in 7.62 as well as the SKS for just that reason. But there's something to be said about an american made weapon, especially if I can do it myself for a descent price.

WishICouldFly

UO Future Pork Chop
I just put my rifle together. My hands smell like grease and my fingers have indents in them from pushing the various pins. I used a pair of pliers to squeeze in the bolt catch roll pin. I have one roll pin left to push in (the trigger guard pin) and I don't have a punch. Any suggestions?
Everything else is done, though! It was easier than I expected...I'll put some pics up later.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor

A gas piston upper is only practical for a Carbine-length gas system. Don't bother with a mid or full length. There's not enough dirt/grime or wear and tear imparted to the longer gas systems. Oh, and don't buy one of those cheap conversion kits -- buy a complete upper or not at all.

Zissou

Banned
A gas piston upper is only practical for a Carbine-length gas system. Don't bother with a mid or full length. There's not enough dirt/grime or wear and tear imparted to the longer gas systems. Oh, and don't buy one of those cheap conversion kits -- buy a complete upper or not at all.

What he said.

The direct impingement gas system will be around for some time. With proper gas systems to match barrel length it will run as reliably, with good ammo, as a gas piston upper.

The 416 is good, but made of unobtainium to the average American.

LWRC makes a good GPU but its pricey. POF is a POS.

Barrett's 6.8 GPU is being retooled for 556. That will be the GPU of choice.

Followed by the Magpull/Bushmaster Masada which should be available Fall 08.

WishICouldFly

UO Future Pork Chop
You can use a small hammer, a piece of hard plastic or wood, or something like that to tap it in...

See the "how to" post on arf.com

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=226782

I assembled my lower in a similar fashion - if I can do it certainly you can!

Good luck - be sure to show us a pic of your build!

Chuck

Got it together, finally with a little help from my friends (and their Armorer's Wrench).

Del-Ton Kit on a DPMS lower
16" chrome-lined light barrel
Magpul CTR Stock
Hogue grip (amazing)
Flattop with detachable rear sight

Attachments

• IMG_3360.jpg
    IMG_3360.jpg
    521.5 KB · Views: 117

Zissou

Banned
Cool. Looks pretty clean.

Did you stake the gas keys on your BCG?

What length gas system? Barrel twist?

Is that LMT rear?

Zissou

Banned
gaskey.jpg

The gas key is attached to the BCG with those two hex bolts.

They need to be staked or they will unseat.

You dont need to a do a sexy job like the above. I've staked them in field with a multi tool and and my helmet.