• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How to build an AR15?

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Okay,

So the summer is fast approaching, and I'm going to have loads of extra time this summer. As a result I'm looking to get a gun that I can take out for some target shooting. I'm thinking an ar15 is an ideal gun for this purpose. Now, I am curious what you guys suggest on parts and who to go through for everything. My budget is roughly $500. Is this reasonable or do I need to look into something else for plinking targets?

MasterBates

You can do it for $500 if you shop around.

You will need a lower... About $100 or so. Get one at a local show or shop. It is legally the gun. The rest is just parts.

J&T, STAG, DPMS are good lowers. You want "Mil-Spec, Forged". Stay away from cast.

Then you need a parts kit. I have had good luck with J&T.
www.jtdistributing.com
Here are their 20" Rifle Kits..
http://jtdistributing.com/store/rifle_kits.html
$460 for a complete kit, all parts but the lower.

Now, how to assemble:
http://www.ar15.com/content/guides/assembly/lower/

After building the lower, the upper attaches with 2 captive pins, that you put together while building the lower.
So, $600ish with tax is very doable. $500 if you find a kit on sale.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
You can get a real cheap kit from
http://akpartskits.com/store/index.php?cPath=5_9&osCsid=78c643c56418cc72f8e5d6d413560129
I've had some luck with their parts but its kind of hit or miss on quality control. Like I said I haven't had any problems with their parts, but others swear that JT or Model 1 is the way to go. I just picked up a Double Star lower from Kiser Munitions for $99 shipped for my last build that you can see in the firearms section. Double Star is a part of JT. You can see my latest build on the firearms forum here. As MB said the link at AR-15.com is pretty self explanatory. Just do the front detent spring in your shower or something because it will surely launch off in to oblivion a few times. Spike has some really cool lowers for a good price also. Post pics when your done, and good luck.

MasterBates

By M4, if you mean M4gery, yes. All normal AR15 variants assemble the same. There is an addendum on the instructions for the collapsable buttstock.

A real M4 is currently unattainable due to the closure of the Machine Gun registry in 1986, unless you can find a pre-86 one.. And that will be $$$$$

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
you can definately do it for AROUND 500, but sub 500 may be pushing it unless you really shop around for used parts.

For reference, mine is:
-Stag 5.56 lower for aprox. 100
-Stag lower parts kit for aprox. 60
-Del-ton M4 kit (with a few fancy extras) for approx. 600

the basic Del-ton (http://www.del-ton.com) m4 kit sells for 475 but i got a chrome barrel and YHM railed hand guard so that upped the price up a bit. Del-ton has absolutely great service, though their turn around time can be a bit slow when they get busy. I have also heard great things about J&T but I have no personal experience with them

I have found Stag to be some of the best quality in the market for their price and if you do a little shopping, you can find their lowers for pretty cheap.

My personal suggestion would be to stay away from the DPMS lower parts kits. I know quite a few people that have gotten parts from them that were out of spec.

Good luck and if you have questions, feel free to ask. Quite a few of us here have builds. also, if and when you finish your build, you feel this strange sensation to go out and build another...dont be afraid, thats the evil black rifle disease kicking in. ;)

xmid

pilot
Contributor
I posted all the info you would need to build one for @$500. The website I listed sells M-4 kits for $399 and you can get a doublestar shipped to you from Kiser for $99. Thats all you need, and its as cheap as you are going to get unless you happen to have some left over parts lieing around;) or you can pick up some cheap parts from someone else (possibly used). I have a bolt/carrier, lower parts kit, and stock/tube from http://akpartskits.com/store/index.php?cPath=5_9&osCsid=78c643c56418cc72f8e5d6d413560129
I haven't had any problems with the parts that I have from them. As with everything the more quality you want the more you're going to have to pay for it. So if you really only have $500 go with the above, if you can spend a hundred or two more go with someone like J&T, Model1, or Del-Ton. And post pics when you're done!

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Building my AR was one of the funnest things I did this winter. Your next stop is www.ar15.com - everything you need is there.

ThreadJack: The UPS man just delivered 500 rounds of Wolf .223 55gr FMJ - $89 to my door. Not great but I found that was about the very best I could do ammo wise after weeks of searching online. I know the Wolf steel case is far from match grade - but the new polymer coating seems to work as advertised (not dirtying up the chamber like the Wolf ammo of old). UPS no longer requires a signature delivery for ammo by the way - which is nice - they just left it on my porch :)

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
Building my AR was one of the funnest things I did this winter. Your next stop is www.ar15.com - everything you need is there.

ThreadJack: The UPS man just delivered 500 rounds of Wolf .223 55gr FMJ - $89 to my door. Not great but I found that was about the very best I could do ammo wise after weeks of searching online. I know the Wolf steel case is far from match grade - but the new polymer coating seems to work as advertised (not dirtying up the chamber like the Wolf ammo of old). UPS no longer requires a signature delivery for ammo by the way - which is nice - they just left it on my porch :)

When did Wolf change the way they make their rounds? Its been about two years since I bought my 500 rd batch and those were the shitty rounds that left that red stuff everywhere ... cleaning was worth it back then with my old .223 AK type but I wasn't going to mess with it through my AR. Let us know how it fires.

ChuckMK23

pilot
When did Wolf change the way they make their rounds? Its been about two years since I bought my 500 rd batch and those were the shitty rounds that left that red stuff everywhere ... cleaning was worth it back then with my old .223 AK type but I wasn't going to mess with it through my AR. Let us know how it fires.

This is my second batch of the new Wolf poly coated steel cased .223 ammo I have used. I bought 200 rounds at Dick's of all places - and liked it enough that decided to buy some online after seeing ridiculous prices for .223/5.56 at gun shows and Wally World.

Wolf seems to be improving - you won't see the gunk and red stuff that filled your chamber, gas system, and barrel that the old Wolf Ammo left. Granted it's not match grade stuff - and it's not as clean as say Remington or Winchester but with domestic "discount" ammo going for .35 per round (and up!) it's a good alternative for plinking - and it is relatively "clean" ammo.

The 55Gr FMJ can be had for around .17 - .20 per round. Perfectionists squawk at the possibility of steel cases wearing your extractor prematurely.. But I look at my bolt after every trip to the range and I have not seen anything nor has anyone really backed that statement up with "it happened to me".

Good ammo value in my opinion

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
Great info, thank you. I might have to run through a few rounds again. You cannot beat the prices for that stuff.

airfrogusmc

Okay,

So the summer is fast approaching, and I'm going to have loads of extra time this summer. As a result I'm looking to get a gun that I can take out for some target shooting. I'm thinking an ar15 is an ideal gun for this purpose. Now, I am curious what you guys suggest on parts and who to go through for everything. My budget is roughly $500. Is this reasonable or do I need to look into something else for plinking targets?

GUN???? GUN????? Its a rifle. Always remember your rifles for kill'n your gun is for fun. Get down and give me 20..

I always liked the M-14 better....

Skeet

Banned
airfrogusmc;[/314878 said:
GUN???? GUN????? Its a rifle. Always remember your rifles for kill'n your gun is for fun. Get down and give me 20..

How quickly we forget. Or, maybe we're all ol' timers and don't care about semantics. But, you are correct.

Mod note: Skeet is not an old-timer, he is a fake who posed as "Snort" (supposed Tomcat driver) until he was exposed and banned and then returned as "Skeet" (supposed Army helo pilot turned Blackwater helo pilot in Iraq).

ChuckMK23

pilot
The M-14 has an appeal - but I think the Army generals who insisted on the old school "battle rifle" really hurt the US in the end. There's a lot of writing and debate on the M-1 Garand mindset. How we became much too enamoured with that weapon - and we could have invaded Europe with something much more effective had the idea not been squashed. Look what the Waffen did with an intermediate cartridge and a gas operated system with stamped parts

I believe the M-14 was a mistake - after reading a little history I think the FN FAL was what we should have adopted - and look how hard Mcnemara had to push the military to adopt the Eugene Stoner's weapon/design?