• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How to build an AR15?

Squid

F U Nugget
pilot
I've always wanted to build an AR. After reading this post I went over to the local gun show this weekend.

I picked up a Stag stripped lower (LE) for $145. They had anything from $80 to $230 pieces. All from varying manufacturers. All milspec forged 5.56. I figure a lower is a lower is a lower.

I also picked up a Stag lower parts kit.

Now all I need is an upper and butt stock.

Now the question:
This is my first build. I'm in Kalifornia. To be legal I have to make it "fixed mag", yes? If so which is the preferred method, the allen key or the bullet tip?

Also, are there good prices to be had @ shows or should I shop around online for the upper?

MasterBates

Squid, from what the guys have told me out there, the bullet tip is the way to go.. You still have to have the commiefornia 10 round neutered mag, but it is far better than the break open and load like an SKS method, or one the goofy looking non pistol grip stocks..

Squid

F U Nugget
pilot
copy. as a starter, what do you think about the Stag 3H upper? It's a nice price.

I'm thinking I want flip up sights as well as a red dot or some other gucci optical sight. Will that upper accommodate it or do I have to spend the big $$ on a flat top?

MasterBates

Stag makes good stuff.

Also, J&T makes good stuff for a reasonable price. I used them for my last build.

Flat tops should be the same price or cheaper.. Unless the dealer is trying to fook you.

I bought a flat-top for the same price as a A2 style. I bought a deachable handle for $65 with the kit.. So it looks like an A2 until you look.

Flat top is the way to go, unless you are building a dedicated iron sight rifle.

Squid

F U Nugget
pilot
I guess what I meant was can I place flip up sights AND a gucci laser/optical sight on just this:

mod3h.gif

or do I need the tactical rail as well to fit that gear.
2ht.gif

MasterBates

Should be OK with just the upper upper..

Ask Xmid he is more into hanging extra stuff.. I strictly a scope and sight guy..

Squid

F U Nugget
pilot
well it's settled then. I'm headed back to gun show and getting that upper upper. thanks for the heads up.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Good buy, stag is good stuff. You can also mount optics over the A2 sights, but it really clutters things up. The ACOG TA01 has a pretty basic set of lollipop sights on top of the optic. You can always get the tac rail later if you get the bug. For someone that has never lived in the great state of California, what is "the bullet tip" method?

Squid

F U Nugget
pilot
you gotta shove a bullet tip in the mag release to get it to drop, it's flush with the lower. the other way is "locking" the mag release with an allen key and screw.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
So they basically want to slow down your mag changes?:rolleyes: When you leave Cali can you unscrew the mag release and put a regular one in there or is it something that has to be permanent? Are you still allowed to have all the other "evil" features, like flash hider, bayonet lug, collapsible stock, etc? Someone told me that some states have passed there own laws to keep those retarded '94 AW Ban laws alive.

Squid

F U Nugget
pilot

Category I assault weapons are those specifically named by make and model in Penal Code §12276 (and echoed in California Code of Regulation §979.10). These firearms are assault weapons at even the bare receiver/frame level – regardless of any particular characteristic features. Thus an Uzi receiver would be banned by name, but a similar Group Industries receiver would be legal (as long as offending Category III features were not added).

Category II assault weapons consist of the AR15 and AK “series” of firearms. While AR and AK series were named in the original Roberti-Roos laws, due to various key court decisions about “series” membership it’s useful to refer to them as their own category, those these guns really have just fallen back into the Roberti-Roos list once listed by DOJ.

Category III assault weapons are defined by characteristic features listed in PC 12276.1:

RIFLES:

A semiautomatic centerfire rifle capable of accepting detachable magazines and any of:

▪ a pistol grip protruding conspicuously below the weapon’s action

▪ a thumbhole stock or folding or telescopic stock;

▪ a flash suppressor, grenade launcher or flare launcher;

▪ a forward pistol grip.

A semiautomatic centerfire rifle with overall length of less than 30 inches;

A semiautomatic centerfire rifle with a fixed magazine holding over 10 rounds.

PISTOLS:

A semiautomatic pistol capable of accepting detachable magazines and any of the following:

▪ a threaded barrel;

▪ a second handgrip;

▪ capacity to accept a detachable magazine at some location outside the pistol grip;

▪ a shroud attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel allowing
bearer to fire weapon without burning his/her hand, except for a slide enclosing
the barrel;

A semiautomatic pistol with a fixed magazine having capacity to accept over 10 rounds.

SHOTGUNS:

A semiautomatic shotgun having both of the following:

▪ a folding or telescoping stock;

▪ a pistol grip protruding conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon,

a thumbhole stock, or a vertical handgrip.

A semiautomatic shotgun with the ability to accept detachable magazines;

Any shotgun with a revolving cylinder.

so no bayonet lugs or grenade launchers.

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
squid,

I live in california, so I had to make the same mods on my AR for it too be legal.

I originally had planned on getting the bullet bullet but after talking to some people and finding out how much of a pain it could be to instal and later remove once you leave state, I decided to go with the Prince50 (allen screw)

The Prince50 was super easy to install and if Im ever in another state, All I have to do is unscrew the allen screw about 3 full turns and it becomes a normal Mag release. The downside is that you have to "shotgun" the rifle in order to load it. Its not like I will be staying in California anyway when I get my commision.

Also, good choice on the STAG upper, the make quality parts. If you havnt already bought yours, I would suggest checking out Lanworld's uppers (http://www.lanworldinc.com), he usually has really competitive prices on his uppers and he caters to Californians.

WishICouldFly

UO Future Pork Chop
I was just at a gun show, and a vendor had a RRA lower for $150...now I'm wondering if I should have bought it, or if I can generally find a lower price ? It was the second day of the gun show, so most of the vendors that had stripped lowers were sold out.
There are always more gun shows, and I'm hoping that the next one will have more competitive prices.