• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How the Marines will affect your mentality

MNU-OCS

Alright this may be a little weird to some. But i dont swear. For many reasons, my faith, the way i was raised, my friends, etc. Ide prefer to keep the habit. This is one of those questions were most of the answers will depend on the given situation. But would you think that my future Marine comrades would have some sort of disdain for me because i didnt swear like a sailor.

FLY_USMC

pilot
You won't swear at all coming out of OCS, you'll say the word "frigain" a lot, but honestly, I didn't get swore at until the day of graduation when our SSgt lost it and told us all how much we sucked. You'll start swearing at TBS, when all the instructors could care less what they say. So you don't swear? I guess that's fine, I'm sure many people can get their point across without explicatives like "you f()cking suck", if so, more power to you. I can't speak for everyone, but I might look twice at you not because you don't swear, but because their's a strong chance you don't do other things as well.....you did know the Marine Corps was started in a bar...didn't you? There is a place for religion in the Corps, you will find it if you haven't already, but I'm willing to bet finding the inner anger that the Marine Corps brings out and molds might be difficult without being able to say the phrase, "you're going to f()cking die biatch."

MNU-OCS

Well i guess we will just have to wait and see. I did manage to come out of public school without picking up swearing, and in my school that is an accomplishment. But however if my not swearing means that i am in some way less of a Marine, then i think i will call up my OSO and tell him i dont want to influence Marines and fight for my country. This would be my personal opinion however though, but i would think that you can exude confidence and intimidation without swearing, its all body language and voice tone. Also i think that by controlling your words that is also a testament to bearing.

Crowbar

None
But however if my not swearing means that i am in some way less of a Marine, then i think i will call up my OSO and tell him i dont want to influence Marines and fight for my country. This would be my personal opinion however though, but i would think that you can exude confidence and intimidation without swearing, its all body language and voice tone. Also i think that by controlling your words that is also a testament to bearing.

I know Marines who don't swear. You want to know a little secret? Nobody gives a sh t. Marines are more concerned with your performance as a Marine.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
No, if you are not part of the hive-mind, then ALL Marines will hate you.

Therefore, unless you drink, get tattoo's, drive a motorcycle and/or Mustang, and curse profusely, you will be a social outcast.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
long sigggghhh.

The Marine Corps will not change your personlity, it will change your habits and maybe how you view the world but so will growing up. 10 years from now you will be a different person than the guy you are in college whether you are a Marine or not.

My best friends in the world have been so since Jr High (none of them are int he military). I have great friends who are Marines but Im basically the same person I was before OCS, I bought into some of the early brainwashing stuff but that faded quickly.

Be yourself and call it good.

TheFurr7198

becareful though when I got back from OCS I had a tough time of looking at everyone as a big nasty haha I asked my brother if that was normal and he said he still looks at most people that way.........

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
becareful though when I got back from OCS I had a tough time of looking at everyone as a big nasty haha I asked my brother if that was normal and he said he still looks at most people that way.........

A) They are nasty

B) That's the brainwashing

C) They pay your salary

phrogpilot73

I'll go ahead and weigh in on this one... I'll agree with skidkid. You're the same person, your personality doesn't change, just how you do things. When I came back from boot camp (I think a little more effective at brainwashing than OCS), I kept puffing up my chest, referring to people as nasty, etc... A good friend of mine who was "a nasty college puke" literally kicked my ass. I still thank him for that to this day. Of course, he's a Major now (and I'm a Capt), I called him Sir the other day, and he almost kicked my ass again! Of course, with that in mind - imagine how much his jaw dropped when I told him my plan was to get out in about 4 years...

The Marine Corps doesn't change you - it simply matures you.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The Marine Corps doesn't change you - it simply matures you.

I know I'm not a Marine, so I can't attest to that, but I think that's fairly universal with any service. I'm more mature in many aspects than any of my civilian friends. I grew up faster, because I had to. At the same time though, I think the military also lets you stay young... where else do you hear 30+ year old men talk about the latest video games and still play childish pranks on each other, etc. Yes, I'm talking about the O-4+ crowd. They can be downright funny sometimes.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
It's not just about staying young, although I'm a firm believer in the idea that you will live a longer, happier life if you let yourself play like a kid sometimes. Maybe this belongs more in the military quotes thread, but I think it definitely applies here: "A little levity is appropriate in a dangerous profession." We are in a dangerous profession, pure and simple. There are many times when things need to be serious, but if you're wound too tightly and in possession of zero sense of humor, you will break. Having/developing that sense of humor and learning when and how to apply it is a damn good leadership ability.

As to whether or not the Marine Corps will change you, though...

That's a more difficult question to answer. I think that it largely depends on YOU, not what OCS, TBS, or any other training will do to you. Do you have the strength of character to stand up to that fire monster from the commercial and emerge not unscathed, but stronger and more confident. The answers are ones that you need to find for yourself.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
long sigggghhh.

The Marine Corps will not change your personlity, it will change your habits and maybe how you view the world but so will growing up. 10 years from now you will be a different person than the guy you are in college whether you are a Marine or not.

My best friends in the world have been so since Jr High (none of them are int he military). I have great friends who are Marines but Im basically the same person I was before OCS, I bought into some of the early brainwashing stuff but that faded quickly.

Be yourself and call it good.

Agree 100%

And just as a corrollary, if you are 100% into the "brainwashing" and "yut, err, oohrah, devil dog, motivator, nasty" type language all the damn time, you will not be the norm in the aviation community... go be a grunt if you want to get gay with that stuff.

scotty008

Back at last
pilot
What surprised me most about TBS was that everyove (well, almost) was so "normal". The really motivated killers stand out obviously, but in general its a bunch of intelligent people there for generally good reasons. Like everyone has said, you will pick up the lingo and certain less than desireable habbits, but it wont change who you are or have been. I had similar suspicions when I showed up at OCS and eventually TBS, but you shouldnt worry about it. You'll be more confident, less afraid, and ready to face any variety of situations that you may or may not encounter. I look at my experinces so far as wholly positive. Good question, and good luck.

-there are also plenty of douche-bags that managed to get through OCS unscathed... you deal with them and hope that they dont get past the SPCs. Some people need brainwashing...