• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How the Marines will affect your mentality

sublime steve

Who's scruffy lookin?
I have a concern about how the Marine Corps will affect my personal life. I have always wanted to be a Marine Officer and I think it would be a huge honor to lead Marines but I have one concern. How much will the Marine Corps change you? I know everyone changes once they enter the military but it seems like Marines change more both positively and negatively than the other branches. I love the life I have now and my friends and family. Will I completely change when I see them again as a Marine? I've seen lots of my friends who are now Marines and some of them now turn a cold shoulder at me or completely act like a complete tool now. I know they have the right to be extremely proud but they do take it to far. To sum it all up, how will I view the rest of the world when I become a Marine? Any personal stories would be greatly appreciated by this young one. Thank you for reading and God bless you all for serving this great country.

vvmountainvv

you will view the world exactly as you want to view it. you will treat your friends and family the way you want. a lot of people seem to think that Marines are "brainwashed" which i do not think is true. we are extremely dedicated to our country and Corps, and fellow Marines. we are professionals, and we are proud of what we do. i have visited with a lot of old college friends and professors since becoming a Marine and although they probably see some differences in how i carry myself i do not think it is an any way negatively seen. i think the change your loved ones will see is you will become a very confident tall standing person who always wants to stand up for what is right, not necessarily easy or expedient-a trait many of your friends in the civilian work world probably don't have. the fact that you are thinking about this says to me that you won't turn the cold shoulder or act like a tool if you become a Marine. on the other side your personal life will be affected in that you won't be able to see friends and family any time you want, and once you get to the fleet you will probably be overseas for many holidays and special occasions. but as you may have already thought, the pride, honor, and comaraderie of becoming a United States Marine is something you cannot duplicate in any other way. good luck in your decision.

Chubby

The biggest thing my family had to get used to was the fact that the word "um"...if "um" is a word, was replaced by the word "f()ckin"
No ****, that's not Marine specific though. I'm pretty sure my mother still cringes when we have conversations. Hard habit to break.

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
If you are a confident person, the Marine Corps will increase that trait of your personality. It will take confidence to make it through OCS, and you will share that experience with your platoon. Even in a controlled training environment like OCS you'll experience hardships that few civilians or even non Marines can relate to. You'll feel a close bond with the friends you make at OCS, and I can only imagine how much stronger those bonds will become in the fleet and during real adversity.

You will experience being "militarized", in that you will become accustomed to things being done correctly and quickly with speed and intensity. After a healthy dose of this, the civilian world and even your family and friends may seem nasty to you. You're just going to have to deal with it. When I got home from OCS (a mere 12 weeks of Marine Corps experience) it seemed all I talked about was the Marine Corps. I was excited and I wanted to share that with my friends. Some were very interested, some were more concerned with stuff I'd felt I'd left behind after OCS. The best thing you can do is remember that you've shared alot of experiences with your friends too. Don't bring up the Corps everytime you get a buzz on, people will get annoyed. After a couple bar nights where my girlfriend about smacked me because I wouldn't shut up about the Corps I learned to keep my mouth shut. It's more of a quiet pride I carry. I hope this helps.

Semper Fi, Doc

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
Oh yeah, like Fly USMC and Chubby said: It's hard not to say fVck or to refer to your younger brother's mouth as a "cock holster".

PSno23

GEAUX TIGERS
pilot
To be honest, I don't think I changed at all. I probably hold myself a little higher than I used to and I have a lot more self-confidence, but overall, I'm the same person I was before I went to OCS (and TBS, for that matter).

Crowbar

None
Some people go to TBS still so full of "I'm a Marine now and I'm going to save the world" that they actually start to believe it. The rest of us have developed the power of independent thought and can watch the "LET THE BODIES HIT THE FLOOR" and "DIE MOTHERF CKER DIE" videos repeatedly without letting us affect it us in a negative way. The only people that I gaff off since I've been a Marine are the ones who were never worth a crap anyway...in and out of jail, still live at home with parents to save drug money, STILL hang out with high school kids, etc etc. If you're already aware of a possible problem, then it hopefully won't become one.

riley

You'll friggin change. It is good, though. You'll be 15 minutes early to everything (I drive my wife nuts with that). You'll look people in the eye. You'll have new respect for those who have served in the military. Words like honor and integrity will mean something to you. You'll have respect for life you probably didn't have before. You will take more pride in the work you do. You will say f<ck and sh1t more.

When you go home, things will be different. Your friends will still be doing the same boring thing, going to the same bars, chasing the same women, and you will see the emptiness of it. However, Do Not be like the Marines you know who look down on civilians or non-Marines - they had a confidence issue before becoming a Marine and they are only showing their a$$ by their behavior.

Anything in life will have an affect on you. You aren't the same person after college as you were before - and you won't be the same person after OCS than you were before. But the change is good. Typically, if you weren't an a$$hole before joining The Suck then you won't be an a$$hole after.