• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How long is your Flight Physical good for?

JZAB

Livin the MEU life
pilot
I will be checking in to TBS next week and the pre-check-in, checklist states you must have a current flight physical... I currently do, I went to P-cola last November and got my up @ NAMI. This was my first initial flight physical, (long form?) How long is this first physical good for? 1 or 2 years. If only 1 yr will, I need to get another flight physical while I am at TBS to stay current.

I have used the search function on AW and spent an hour on the NOMI website with no luck.

phrogpilot73

I will be checking in to TBS next week and the pre-check-in, checklist states you must have a current flight physical... I currently do, I went to P-cola last November and got my up @ NAMI. This was my first initial flight physical, (long form?) How long is this first physical good for? 1 or 2 years. If only 1 yr will, I need to get another flight physical while I am at TBS to stay current.

I have used the search function on AW and spent an hour on the NOMI website with no luck.
Flight Physicals are good for one year, and expire in your birth month.

JZAB

Livin the MEU life
pilot
I was told your first initial physical is good for 2 years... But I guess not ... this sucks, I would like to stay all qualified before I report to API.

Crowbar

None
D'oh. Misread the post the first time.

At any rate, if your physical expires DURING TBS, it's no big deal. I got a new one while I was there. Missed a couple hours of class and that was it.

JZAB

Livin the MEU life
pilot
So, do I need to get it done in November 07(the one year anniversary of the physical) or in April 08 my birth month.

phrogpilot73

So, do I need to get it done in November 07(the one year anniversary of the physical) or in April 08 my birth month.
Bad news for you - it's already expired. If you got a physical in November of '06, it expired in April '07. If you get it done now, up through March '08 (you can get your physical one month prior) it will expire in April '08. Clear as mud?

HeloBubba

SH-2F AW
Contributor
What happens if you're due a physical while in the middle of a deployment?

If you are in a flying status, they will send you to the closest flight surgeon. I was deployed on a DDG with a LAMPS Det. There are typically NO doctors on a 'can, only HM's. We were in the middle of the IO when my physical was getting ready to expire. My det flew me (and a bunch of gear needing PM) to the Connie (closest flight surgeon) and dropped me off. I spent 5 days on the Connie jumping through the various hoops to get my up chit. The reason that it was only 5 days instead of 7 or more, was that the HS squadron happened to be sending an aircraft to my boat for some small boy DLQ's and I was able to hitch a ride. Also, if it weren't for the fact that I knew some guys in the HS and VS squadrons that could help me out, it would have taken me a lot longer to find my way around on my own. It was a very interesting experience.

Junior

pilot
I am not sure on this one, but I vaguely remember there being a difference between an initial flight physical and an upchit. Does that ring a bell Phrog? The upchit of course expires on the last day of your birth month.
At any rate, you'll get another physical at TBS about midway through to make sure you won't get whacked by NAMI in Pensacola. Then, at API, you will get your upchit.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
What happens if you're due a physical while in the middle of a deployment?

You can be waivered, but usually you just make something happen. I've seen guys waivered for a month and then got a physical when pulling into a port that had a doc. It can be a pain, but it happens, and people make it work.

HokiePilot

pilot
Contributor
The flight physical to get into flight school lasts for two years. When you get down to API, you will have another flight physical and get your up-chit. After that, you need a flight physical every year on your birthmonth.

JZAB

Livin the MEU life
pilot
The flight physical to get into flight school lasts for two years. When you get down to API, you will have another flight physical and get your up-chit. After that, you need a flight physical every year on your birthmonth.

Thanks for all the good info

So my initial flight physical is still good until nov 08, by that time I will have already reported to API, since I finish TBS/IFS in Mid July 08. More or less, I am good and have no need to worry until I report to API.

When I report to API is the Physical a long version (same as my initial) or the short (up chit type)? Since I have already been PQ the first time.

phrogpilot73

When I report to API is the Physical a long version (same as my initial) or the short (up chit type)? Since I have already been PQ the first time.
Oh, young jedi you have no idea...

It's a longer version of the long form. NAMI measures you 7 ways from Sunday, only when you pass the dreaded "NAMI Whammy" are you PQ/AA...

SlickAg

pilot
It's a longer version of the long form. NAMI measures you 7 ways from Sunday, only when you pass the dreaded "NAMI Whammy" are you PQ/AA...

Or, if you've had a flight physical in the last year, you show up, get your anthro measurements, go see a Doc, and get your NAMI up-chit through your birth month.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Or, if you've had a flight physical in the last year, you show up, get your anthro measurements, go see a Doc, and get your NAMI up-chit through your birth month.

Unless of course, that isn't what happens. It's great that worked for you, but it's kind of a crap shoot on what will actually happen from person to person. I had a flight physical w/in the last 6 months, and I got the whole shebang.