• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How hard to get intel?

NavyVol

So did any1 know about SWo/Intel? Also tell me if this is wrong. I would do 2 years of SWO then go to the IW or IP job after that?

navy09

None
So did any1 know about SWo/Intel? Also tell me if this is wrong. I would do 2 years of SWO then go to the IW or IP job after that?

You'd have to ask m0t to be sure, but I seem to recall that's how he's described it.

SWO Nukes do 2 years on their first ship, get their pin, then go to Nuke school. So it makes sense.

egolnick

Cuz being a nerd is so much more fun :D

Seriously, any wannbe who "knows what it's like to be a SWO" cuz they read AW a lot needs to check theirselvez...

Well heck i wish i could be a Nerd!

Then again, I think i took too many hits to the head playing football and rugby.:icon_tong

red_ryder

None
I heard the only communities lately that are really open to transfers are EOD and SEALS. Sorry dude.

TrunkMonkey

Spy Navy
OK. Let me try to answer some of these, based on my experience only.
1) I am an intel officer, and have never heard of SWO-Intel. SWO/IP yes. SWO/Intel, no. Being Intel is a specific designator of its own and has no specific tie with the SWO community, or the aviation or EOD community, or whatever, although you may work with all of them.

2) I have a friend who did lat-transfer out of the SWO community and become an intel officer. He did well as a SWO and recieved his pin, although he didn't like the community. He was one of a select group who was accepted to transfer after his first three year orders. It was not a given that he would get this lat-transfer.

3) I know one squadron AI who speaks Arabic fluently and one who speaks Urdu. Neither one of those people are working in jobs that have anything to do with language. Is that messed up and wrong and an oversight on the part of the Navy? Possibly. But, as a first-tour intel-O, you will not be in a language-type job. They do, however, look for people with liberal arts and language type backgrounds to come into the community, probably much more so than other Navy communities.

4) It is possible to be commissioned as a part of the STA-21 Intel-O program from NROTC if you are a prior IS. Otherwise, there are 2-3 people a year who get it due to being broken or some other detailing oddity. I went through NROTC, but I am a flight attrite, and no one else in my 4 years there ended up going restricted line - except nurses, which is a seperate program.

As far as changing your BDCP contract from SWO, I have no idea how hard that will be. Just know if you are commissioned as a SWO, it won't be a guaranteed switch over to the dark side - you will have to deploy and get the pin.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
3) I know one squadron AI who speaks Arabic fluently and one who speaks Urdu. Neither one of those people are working in jobs that have anything to do with language. Is that messed up and wrong and an oversight on the part of the Navy? Possibly. But, as a first-tour intel-O, you will not be in a language-type job. They do, however, look for people with liberal arts and language type backgrounds to come into the community, probably much more so than other Navy communities.

You gotta learn the basics before you move on to better and brighter things. I imagine both guys will have a wealth of opportunities open up for them after their initial tours, where their language skills would be put to very good use. If not, and with the Navy that would not surprise me, there are several three-letter agencies that would love to hire them after their commitment is up. :D

DeeDub

SWO is probably the worst program to go into seriously. Not to bash certain servicemen but they are in charge of boatswain's mates and deck seamen who -- how should I say this -- won't exactly set the world on fire with their brilliance. There is a lot of turnover in the enlisted ranks and a lot of watch standing for deck officers when the ship goes underway. Deck officers are what SWOs are basically. I am prior enlisted and going to OCS soon and when my recruiter brought up SWO, I said no way in hell. That should tell you something.

TrunkMonkey

Spy Navy
You gotta learn the basics before you move on to better and brighter things. I imagine both guys will have a wealth of opportunities open up for them after their initial tours, where their language skills would be put to very good use.

That's why I said possibly messed up of the Navy, according to some. They do have the bigger picture in mind. I think a lot of people just have an idea that you can go into intel and become James Bond right away, and that is not the case.

NavyVol

Haha guys. . . i know that im gunna be at the bottom not Bond. Thanks for all the info though. When would I be able to lateral transfer out of SWO into Intel saying that i got accepted?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Haha guys. . . i know that im gunna be at the bottom not Bond. Thanks for all the info though. When would I be able to lateral transfer out of SWO into Intel saying that i got accepted?

After you get your pin, getting qualified is pretty much a requirement for any lateral transfer.

navy09

None

It takes maybe 12-18 months to get your pin. After that, you're able to able to apply to the boards (there are two each year). Every year, they allow two SWOs to leave from each year group- and there are about 750 SWOs in each YG. So if the SWOs let you go and Intel weenies lets you in...you transfer!

WALI_1980

OK. Let me try to answer some of these, based on my experience only.
1) I am an intel officer, and have never heard of SWO-Intel. SWO/IP yes. SWO/Intel, no. Being Intel is a specific designator of its own and has no specific tie with the SWO community, or the aviation or EOD community, or whatever, although you may work with all of them.

2) I have a friend who did lat-transfer out of the SWO community and become an intel officer. He did well as a SWO and recieved his pin, although he didn't like the community. He was one of a select group who was accepted to transfer after his first three year orders. It was not a given that he would get this lat-transfer.

4) It is possible to be commissioned as a part of the STA-21 Intel-O program from NROTC if you are a prior IS. Otherwise, there are 2-3 people a year who get it due to being broken or some other detailing oddity. I went through NROTC, but I am a flight attrite, and no one else in my 4 years there ended up going restricted line - except nurses, which is a seperate program.

As far as changing your BDCP contract from SWO, I have no idea how hard that will be. Just know if you are commissioned as a SWO, it won't be a guaranteed switch over to the dark side - you will have to deploy and get the pin.

I think we both know atleast one of these guys. Small world. :D You don't happen to be with a VAQ squadron do you?