• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How hard to get intel?

NavyVol

In a word: hard. Intel is one of the more selective designators...I'm not completely sure of BDCP rules, but I don't think you can redesignate while enrolled.

Another question: if you're a sophomore in a non-tech major, how can you be in BDCP at all? The limit is 24 months from graduation...unless you're graduating a semester early?

Im not really sure, it was an issue at first but they let it go through anyways. Also you can redesignate, but you are really just reapplying for the program. When it goes to board they know you are alraedy in, and then they will try to move you, is what i was told before i signed my papers!!!

m0tbaillie

Former SWO
See this page for the lat xfer board quotas. Suffice it to say, it's very difficult to lateral out of the SWO community for about 5-6 years after getting commissioned. Generally, they'll release about 2 from each year group every year.

Unless you're cool like me and are part of an option program, i.e. SWO/IP, SWO/IW and I *think* there's a SWO/Intel option program however I know nothing about the other two, only mine (2yrs SWO, get pin, lat xfer sans-board action to new community) however that's written into your contract, to just ask for the lateral xfer out of the blue, I imagine, as you say, is much more difficult.

m0tbaillie

Former SWO
This IS true. I won't go into detail, but the mission of NROTC is to commission unrestricted line officers. If you don't believe me go look up the ROD (Regulations for Officer Development).

The only real restricted line officers you will see coming out of NROTC are doctors, dentists, and MAYBE some JAG.

Sorry, I wasn't speaking for ROTC kids, I was specifically referring to BDCP (BDCP takes more than just URL wannabes). I was drunk-posting, excusi! :p\

edit: Who are you?

navy09

None
Unless you're cool like me and are part of an option program, i.e. SWO/IP, SWO/IW and I *think* there's a SWO/Intel option program however I know nothing about the other two, only mine (2yrs SWO, get pin, lat xfer sans-board action to new community) however that's written into your contract, to just ask for the lateral xfer out of the blue, I imagine, as you say, is much more difficult.

You're right on. Like I said, they allow ~8 SWOs (w/ <6 yrs) a year to lat xfer. But if you look at the redesignation board results there are at least twice as many as that, which accounts for the people in programs like yours.

m0tbaillie

Former SWO
Wow, I knew it was near impossible to get out of the submarine community once you had your dolphins (according to a couple former bubblehead friends of mine) but I didn't know it was equally as difficult to get out of the SWO community.

WALI_1980

There are guys going through NIOBC (Navy Intel Officer Basic Course) from all sorts of background. In my class we had brand new ensigns coming from NROTC, Naval Academy, Merchant Marine Academy, OCS and BDCP (OCS); etc. There were a few PRIOR SWOs and some Pilot/NFO types but all of them were warfare qualified.
There were 2-3 aviation attrites (most for medical reasons).

jorgelito

PRO-REC INTEL
SWO/IP is Surface Warfare Officer/Information Professional and SWO/IW is Surface Warfare Officer/Information Warfare. I think...

torpedo0126

Sorry, I wasn't speaking for ROTC kids, I was specifically referring to BDCP (BDCP takes more than just URL wannabes). I was drunk-posting, excusi! :p\

edit: Who are you?

hey no problem. the only reason i was so sure about the NROTC thing is before I got down to Pensacola I was stashed at my NROTC unit. I had to rewrite every page of of the MIDN regulations and I became a semi-expert on the ROD. It was awful, but it was interesting learning about things our instructors never told us.