• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How hard to get intel?

NavyVol

I have just enrolled in the BDCP as a SWO officer, like all recruits I trusted my recruiter. He told me that transferring to Intel would not be that big of a deal, and now when I ask him he laughs saying its impossible. I am a sophomore at University of Tennessee Knoxville and am majoring in Political Science, and have a 3.5GPA. I am taking Arabic and will have a working knowledge by the end of the year, and I don't see why that wont jump me to the front or something more exciting that SWO. All i hear in news is about how military needs people who can speak Arabic. . . Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Absolutely! You can go on a boat, and be part of the secret squirrel club!

torpedo0126

i am not familiar with how BDCP works. But if its anything like NROTC or the Academy, those commissioning sources only commission unrestricted line officers. The only way you can get something like intel (restricted line) is to either go Marines or be medically disqualified.

Also, your recruiter was right in saying that you can lateral transfer...Unfortunately, I've always been told that you must first get your warfare qualification pin before you can even think about a lateral transfer.

m0tbaillie

Former SWO
i am not familiar with how BDCP works. But if its anything like NROTC or the Academy, those commissioning sources only commission unrestricted line officers.

For the record, this is not true.

But I digress...I've heard from a couple people that it IS possible to redesignate while at OCS but it's incredibly difficult and you have to really, really want to switch over and provide very compelling rationale to why. Also, Intel is an extremely competitive field to get into. Your 3.5 in polisci is, no offense, pretty run of the mill... I got passed up for Intel last year and I have a 3.8 in a technical major - Intel took like 3 people and 2 of those were priors.

I'd say your best bet is to go SWO, get your pin, and attempt to redesignate from there.

navy09

None
I'd say your best bet is to go SWO, get your pin, and attempt to redesignate from there.

See this page for the lat xfer board quotas. Suffice it to say, it's very difficult to lateral out of the SWO community for about 5-6 years after getting commissioned. Generally, they'll release about 2 from each year group every year.

OccamsRazor

Final Select BDCP Intel
In a word:

In a word: hard. Intel is one of the more selective designators...I'm not completely sure of BDCP rules, but I don't think you can redesignate while enrolled.

Another question: if you're a sophomore in a non-tech major, how can you be in BDCP at all? The limit is 24 months from graduation...unless you're graduating a semester early?

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
In a word: hard. Intel is one of the more selective designators.

Keep in mind what contributes to the selectiveness is the size of the community. Intel just doesn't need as many Ensigns per FY than say, SWO, the largest community.

Jynx

*Placeholder*
Contributor
I'm not sure about the quality of the info, but I did hear a rumor that they were looking to expand by about 200 officers over the next two fiscal years. Maybe that opens the door just wide enough for the OP?

torpedo0126

For the record, this is not true.

This IS true. I won't go into detail, but the mission of NROTC is to commission unrestricted line officers. If you don't believe me go look up the ROD (Regulations for Officer Development).

The only real restricted line officers you will see coming out of NROTC are doctors, dentists, and MAYBE some JAG.

However, don't let your Arabic go to waste. If you are fluent, you can take a proficiency exam and you will get paid a substantial amount of money.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
This IS true. I won't go into detail, but the mission of NROTC is to commission unrestricted line officers. If you don't believe me go look up the ROD (Regulations for Officer Development).

The only real restricted line officers you will see coming out of NROTC are doctors, dentists, and MAYBE some JAG.

However, don't let your Arabic go to waste. If you are fluent, you can take a proficiency exam and you will get paid a substantial amount of money.

Huh, funny, I've seen nurses, intel and other commissioned at my NROTC unit . .

navy09

None
Huh, funny, I've seen nurses, intel and other commissioned at my NROTC unit . .

Nursing is a specific program within the NROTC program. If you've known people that have gone intel, 99% chance they were NPQ or "broken" in some way that precluded them from being an Unrestricted Line Officer.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
i am not familiar with how BDCP works.
If you're not familiar with a program, them you should just STFU about it instead of giving out false information.

BDCP produces both an Intell and a Supply officers. We have many with those prespective designators on this site.

Also, if you want to be taken even half-way seriously, fill out your profile.

DangerousDan

I could tell you but I would have to kill you
In a word: hard. Intel is one of the more selective designators...I'm not completely sure of BDCP rules, but I don't think you can redesignate while enrolled.

Another question: if you're a sophomore in a non-tech major, how can you be in BDCP at all? The limit is 24 months from graduation...unless you're graduating a semester early?

Unless it your a reservists. I think recruiters are evil.