• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How hard to get intel?

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
SWO is probably the worst program to go into seriously. Not to bash certain servicemen but they are in charge of boatswain's mates and deck seamen...

That's called leadership, which is the reason why some people become Naval Officers.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
SWO is probably the worst program to go into seriously. Not to bash certain servicemen but they are in charge of boatswain's mates and deck seamen who -- how should I say this -- won't exactly set the world on fire with their brilliance. There is a lot of turnover in the enlisted ranks and a lot of watch standing for deck officers when the ship goes underway. Deck officers are what SWOs are basically. I am prior enlisted and going to OCS soon and when my recruiter brought up SWO, I said no way in hell. That should tell you something.

Hmm, yeah because the best people to work with all have an IQ higher than 130 . . . Having worked with plenty of deck rates I would do it again in a heartbeat if aviation didn't work out and they let me go SWO. The people that will be working for you will be plenty motivated. They will stay as motivated as you and your chief can keep them. Not sure what community DeeDub is from, but he appears to have a problem looking past his nose.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
SWO is probably the worst program to go into seriously. Not to bash certain servicemen but they are in charge of boatswain's mates and deck seamen who -- how should I say this -- won't exactly set the world on fire with their brilliance. There is a lot of turnover in the enlisted ranks and a lot of watch standing for deck officers when the ship goes underway. Deck officers are what SWOs are basically. I am prior enlisted and going to OCS soon and when my recruiter brought up SWO, I said no way in hell. That should tell you something.
You may be a prior enlisted guy but you need to STFU about SWO as you do not know what you are talking about.

SWO are not only deck, they are combat and engineering as well. They can be in charge of any rating.

Further, some of the best leaders I saw in the enlisted ranks were Boatswain's Mate Chiefs and Petty Officers.

DeeDub

I was in the aviation community as an AT but I worked alongside deck department and SWOs on a number of projects, including linehandlers. Not one thing I said about that post is incorrect. Deck department has high turnover throughout the Navy? Yes. Thanks for bringing up Engineering because that also has high turnover. Look at the stats, it's not up for debate.

Now, there were a number of personnel in deck department I enjoyed conversing with on personal level, but I would dare say that those in Deck are the least dependable in terms of military bearing, punctuality, and attention to detail in the entire Navy based on what I witnessed. Let me give you an example. The department I was in, AIMD, was held in high regard which included military appearance and the like. We'd get in hot water for not having military creases in our uniforms or having even the slightest smudge or discoloration on them. Those in deck department looked like they pulled their uniforms out of ship's laundry using paint as detergent. This wasn't just dungarees, but watch standing uniforms. Double standards? Where were those SWOs maintaining this supreme level of leadership that you are boasting about? This went on for the three years I was ship's company.

In closing, the two departments most represented at Captain's Mast and restriction: Deck and Engineering. I fail to see how that's quality leadership. That is based solely on what I witnessed. If you guys have a problem with my posts, please PM me and point out my inaccuracies rather than resorting to the reputation game. Btw, there are no inaccuracies.

phrogpilot73

I was in the aviation community as an AT
So you weren't someone who was privvy to a SWO's leadership. Check.

Now, there were a number of personnel in deck department I enjoyed conversing with on personal level, but I would dare say that those in Deck are the least dependable in terms of military bearing, punctuality, and attention to detail in the entire Navy based on what I witnessed.
Wow. You must have been in for 30 years to see the entire Navy. How are you young enough to commission? Let me guess, another know-it-all 2nd Class.
Let me give you an example. The department I was in, AIMD, was held in high regard which included military appearance and the like. We'd get in hot water for not having military creases in our uniforms or having even the slightest smudge or discoloration on them. Those in deck department looked like they pulled their uniforms out of ship's laundry using paint as detergent. This wasn't just dungarees, but watch standing uniforms.
I've spent a day or two on a ship, I'd be willing to bet by your attitude - probably more days than you. Ship =/= Aviation. The reason their uniforms look like shit is because they have to buy new ones, the ship doesn't necessarily have the money to buy them new ones or coveralls. Whereas AIMD has different budget lines. Again, shit you don't see but think you know.

Double standards? Where were those SWOs maintaining this supreme level of leadership that you are boasting about? This went on for the three years I was ship's company.
I'm not a SWO. I'm a Marine. I could say that as a Marine, I have more leadership in my pinky finger than anyone in the Navy. But I don't. Why? I respect what they do and the challenges they have. You on the other hand, are an immature idiot.

In closing, the two departments most represented at Captain's Mast and restriction: Deck and Engineering. I fail to see how that's quality leadership.
So your answer to the problems is to turn down the challenge of SWO? Are you now saying aviators took the easy way out? You're too much of a pussy to reverse the trend? I'm with HAL on this one - STFU. You're not an officer, may never be an officer, and don't have any room to talk about the challenges those officers face.

My trigger finger is getting itchy...

m0tbaillie

Former SWO
So what is the job of SWO/IP ?

Basically what the link says is the extent to which I know about IP. IP is one of the Navy's newest communities (standing for "Information Professional") and is essentially C4I/computers/comms/space/sat etc. The SWO/IP program (like the other SWO/XX option programs) essentially entails a DIVO tour (~2yrs) and upon achieving your SWO pin you have the option to automatically laterally transfer (no board action) to IP. Or, if you want, you can remain a SWO. Essentially, the SWO/option programs are in place, as I understand it, to give SD/staff corps folks to warfare-qualify so as to add more breadth to their career paths.

At least, that's how it has been explained to me.

I know nothing about SWO/Intel, if it exists, I've never heard of it...

m0tbaillie

Former SWO

What is tells me is that you're a moron, and, fortunately, have already been banned for your blatant stupidity.

I hope somebody at OCS read this and runs a boot straight up your ass... I feel sorry for anybody who even has the displeasure of following you down the friggin' street.