• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Housing advice for API/ Primary

jazzdude

Don't stay on base at Whiting...you'll have to deal with random, no notice inspections. The rooms are nice (converted 2bed/2bath with lounge and kitchen, furnished) and you can't beat the location, but you have to deal with A LOT of queep.

I'm considering moving out, but have already lost out on my DLA (due to moving in on base and being here for over a month)...:icon_rage

FlyMikeFly

Happiness is Vectored Thrust
pilot
Contributor
Well, I think we've come to the conclusion that we're going to get base housing at Whiting Pines. I'm just going to have to find someone to carpool with to save gas money during API. Thanks for all the input.

Jen

Wife of a Growler stud
Just something to think about, and I don't know the facts of this... but you may not be able to live in Whiting Pines during A-Pool and API. You are not yet stationed at Whiting Field yet, so whether or not you'll be able to live there is up for question. You won't get orders, if you do, to Whiting until about 1 or 2 weeks before graduating API (at least this was the case wtih my husband). You can always move to Whiting base housing after API, but it COULD be on your own dime. Just something to think about.

FlyMikeFly

Happiness is Vectored Thrust
pilot
Contributor
We did speak with someone there at Military Family Housing aboard Whiting and they told us it would not be a problem. Thanks for the input though. :icon_mi_1

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
Just something to think about, and I don't know the facts of this... but you may not be able to live in Whiting Pines during A-Pool and API. You are not yet stationed at Whiting Field yet, so whether or not you'll be able to live there is up for question. You won't get orders, if you do, to Whiting until about 1 or 2 weeks before graduating API (at least this was the case wtih my husband). You can always move to Whiting base housing after API, but it COULD be on your own dime. Just something to think about.

If he has follow on orders, then that won't be an issue. Married people typically get follow on orders to stay at Whiting.

Killer2

TRONS!
None
When you check in to MATSG tell them you want it (Whititng for Primary), be one of the first shouldn't be a problem. Also know of one Lt who lives up at Whiting who is in IFS so yes it can be done. The crap part will be the drive to NASP Hospital for the kid on the way.

Jen

Wife of a Growler stud
If he has follow on orders, then that won't be an issue. Married people typically get follow on orders to stay at Whiting.

I wish we would have known this when my husband was in A-pool, API, and primary. We would definitely would have stayed on base at Whiting. Oh well... good information to know! Thanks for putting me straight. :)

rgfh2003

Hey Jen and All...

So I'm flymikefly's wife...and I'm feeling frusterated beyond belief. Killer2 I hope you are right with your post! I called up to Whiting about 2-3 weeks ago and was told we had the green light for living up there (of couse, this last week we finally decided to live up there)...then b/c of your post Jen here and in the PSC I called again (and talked to someone else) and was shut down! I was told my hubby has to have orders for Whiting?! Ahhh! I have NO idea what we are going to do...

Jen

Wife of a Growler stud
Housing can be a big pain in the rear end. I would wait to get too frantic until you get there and actually talk to someone in person. Good luck!

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
Hey Jen and All...

So I'm flymikefly's wife...and I'm feeling frusterated beyond belief. Killer2 I hope you are right with your post! I called up to Whiting about 2-3 weeks ago and was told we had the green light for living up there (of couse, this last week we finally decided to live up there)...then b/c of your post Jen here and in the PSC I called again (and talked to someone else) and was shut down! I was told my hubby has to have orders for Whiting?! Ahhh! I have NO idea what we are going to do...
Have Mike talk to someone at MATSG, I'm sure they can work up some paperwork to make the housing folks happy, especially since he will go into API knowing exactly where he will be going to primary (I know, they move some people around short notice at MATSG, but its not going to be a married Marine with a kid due soon.)

Best of luck on the new baby!

BTW, if you guys want the names of some great people who live at Whiting Pines let me know. My wife and I have a couple who were practically our best friends up there. They have a little family of their own as well. They can show you around if you need. We miss em :(

rgfh2003

Thanks Jen & devildog ~ we'll try to be patient, flexible and not freak out until we get down there. :) I get frusterated getting the run around - hopefully the *right* person is in when we go to housing!!

Ducky

Formerly SNA2007
pilot
Contributor
Use Darr Realty

I am using Mr. Bob Supinger with Darr Realty Group He has been great in helping me find a place in the pensacola area. He is retired Navy and hates to see military people being given the run around by property managers. If necessary he can do all the communicating with property managers. He is against outrageous application fees and will take care of you. He also works part time in the NAS Housing Office at the front gate. If you would like specific contact info pm me and I will get it to you.

benichie

As far as BAH for Enlisted (since you may be a DIVO one day and need to know), it is automatic for E-5 not E-6. In most cases E-4 with over 4 years of service is also eligible.

As far as API and PCS, you WILL get PCS orders if you are an NFO.

Carno

Insane
What is the BOQ like at Pensacola? Is it furnished already?

I'm about to graduate TBS, and I'm not sure whether I should secure a room off base or live in the BOQ for API. The one thing keeping me from getting an apartment is not knowing where I will be doing Primary..

I don't really want to deal with the hassle of breaking an apartment lease, but on the other hand I don't know if the BOQ is right for me either since I have a queen sized bed and a computer desk and a fair amount of books. Any advice?

Thanks.