• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Housing advice for API/ Primary

MasterBates

newchick said:
If my husband will be coming down to the FL area soon but will have to do IFS school first and then API, should we get a place in Milton or in Pensacola? And is it worth it to BUY a house?

NFO? Pilot? Underwater Basketweaver? Cryppie?

Need more info

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
If my husband will be coming down to the FL area soon but will have to do IFS school first and then API, should we get a place in Milton or in Pensacola? And is it worth it to BUY a house?

It depends on where he will do primary. Milton is where Whiting Field is - one of the primary locations (the other is Corpus Christi, TX ... also Enid, OK, but chances are slim he will be going there) IFS and API will all be in the Pensacola area. NAS Pensacola is about 45 min(usually more) from NAS Whiting field. If he will be heading to Whiting, I recommend Milton or Pace. He will have to do a little driving for IFS, API but living close to Whiting later on will make up for all that. If you guys will be moving for primary, live somewhere in Pcola. Guys seem to like the area outside the NAS Pcola backgate.

You also have to take into account lifestyle. Milton is dead (unless you REALLY like Walmart). Pcola is where everything is. Hope this helps. Good luck.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
jamnww,

I don't suppose you could expound at all on your situation with Southern Oaks by any chance, could you? I am just getting ready to put myself on their waiting list ($400) for an upcoming apartment, but do not want to make any huge mistakes in that regard. Thanks for your time.

V/R,
cox3497

Short version: they lied to my face several times and attempted to charge me for money I didn't owe. Said they ignored certain state and federal laws.

Long Version: I lived there July 05 to Oct 05 and rented a 2 bed 2 bath 2nd story unit. While renting they brough up absurd regulations, like limiting the display of an American flag, a right not able to be waived under FL state law reguardless of what agreement you sign. When notified of this fact, they said "We don't really follow that one".

Notified them with 30 day written notice with a further agreement that I could move out early so they could get someone else in so long as I didn't have to pay for any days of the 30 that another tenant was staying there, as supported by both state and federal renting codes. Repeatedly called after I moved into Base housing at Milton to check on status of a new tenant, which they said they couldn't fill the apartment.

Was sent a bill for Nov rent, partial month roughly 15 days of non-occupancy and notified that I had left a few items in the apartment. I notified them I would stop by. Upon arrival I drove to my apartment out of curiosity and saw someone was living there. When I stopped in and talked to the Manager to settle my tab I asked if anyone was living there, they said no. I told them what I saw and asked how long the person was living there, to which they said that I was lying and no one was there. After 35 minutes of arguing about whether a person was living there or not they finally agreed someone was but they had just moved in. I asked for written verification and they said they would have to dig it and would call me when it was available.

Two and a half weeks later, still not hearing anything, I stopped in again. They told me that the person had lived there since the last day of Oct but that I still owed the money because of 30 day notice. When I brought up our written agreement they simply said it didn't matter. After another 20 minutes arguing with the same manage she stopped even attempting to make a reasonable defence and said I owed it to them because I had ended my contract early due to moving and in compliance with the military clause in the contract and part of federal law.

After threatening to sue them for fraud they gave in and dropped the bill they were asking for of almost $300 (which took into account them confiscating my security deposit) and refunded my security deposit which they were holding in lue of the bill. At one point they told me that they would do me a favor and just right off the bill and settle it that way, fortunately I had already done the math and realized that they owed me money and righting off the account would go as a black mark on my record.

WOLFSON

Although I live nowhere near P-cola (yet, hopefully), I found this thread interesting as the mortgage banking company I work for provided the financing for Marcus Pointe Apartments. Although some information I can provide would be against the company’s policies, I’m digging through property appraisals and lease information to see if I can find any things like rental concessions and market trends for this and other properties in Pensacola. According to the last inspector to visit the property:

…there was a surge of single-family home building after Hurricane Ivan in September 2004 with a large number of these homes purchased by investors hoping to benefit from the relocation of people from Mobile and other surrounding impacted areas. The migration, however, was not as significant as hoped leaving a lot of these investors with empty homes. With interest rates moving up and lending criteria tightening, the pool of prospective buyers declined. As a result, a number of these homes have been added to the rental market at rates that are competitive with the existing apartment supply.

The ownership of this property has changed recently, hopefully the new management company can do a better job than the last but maybe buying or renting a home makes more sense. PM me if you want some more info about P-cola apartments.

Also, it's not my fault these places suck, it's the clients. If you knew how profitable the apartment industry was and how screwed up some of their management policies were so to nickel and dime the renters you'd probably rather live in a cardboard box.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
Did you contact base legal? These guys are ripe for the blacklist...

I did, they said contact housing to blacklist them...housing said contact the better BB, the BB said contact base legal...so after 3 months of trying to find the right person I gave up....

etsgraham

Milton?

What about places in Milton... which are the places to stay away from the most? There doesn't seem to be a great amount of complexes in the area, but I haven't been down there yet and only going by what turns up on the internet.

pennst8

Next guy to ask about thumbdrives gets shot.
Contributor
I'm in milton now. Get a house. I don't know anyone up here who went the apartment route, they all seem to suck.

Come to think of it houses suck too*. But its milton. Everything sucks!

*not mine because i got it through airwarriors and my landlord is pretty cool and reads this website. Also we have a pool.

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
Yeah, apartments in Milton are scary ... when we were up there about a year and a half ago some chick got stabbed to death in an apartment down the street from us for trying to pay some dude with a check for her meth. He then took his meth, and her check, and was later arrested for trying to cash it.

We never said Milton was nice - living there just means more sleep in the morning ... and thats always a good thing. Maybe you should invest in a Springfield, or Kimber if you have the dough.
http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=133933

snake020

Contributor
Is Whiting making people live in the Q, or it is pretty easy to get a BAH chit approved and get off base? I have PCS orders, TD in Pensacola with Whiting being my ultimate activity for Primary.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Is Whiting making people live in the Q, or it is pretty easy to get a BAH chit approved and get off base? I have PCS orders, TD in Pensacola with Whiting being my ultimate activity for Primary.

BAH chit? This isn't the Air Force, son. :)