• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Housing advice for API/ Primary

TenPSI

Off base living?

Can you live off base during api? when I was going threw enlisted A school only the married guys were allowed to live off base. I was wondering if i could get bah or atleast live off base and pay rent out of my base pay.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Yes. You could give the Navy back your BAH and pay for housing out of your base pay...but I wouldn't.

Your not in A-school anymore Toto...;)

TenPSI

so does that mean i get bah or do all officers automatically get it? as an enlsted guy we had to request bah unless you were e6 or above.

pdx

HSM Pilot
Can you live off base during api? when I was going threw enlisted A school only the married guys were allowed to live off base. I was wondering if i could get bah or atleast live off base and pay rent out of my base pay.

To answer the actual question, yes you can get BAH to live off base even if you are single.

There is an official, but never (as far as I know) enforced, policy that you have to live on base IF there is space available in the BOQ. Thus it may be necessary to go to the Q and get a non-availability chit. Also, you can go out and get a lease. They will not require you to break the lease. This is sort of an example of the "permission vs forgivness" policy.

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
It's pretty much part of API check in. Get order stamped at NASC, get orders stamped at BOQ, get BAH. It's that simple.

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
There is an official, but never (as far as I know) enforced, policy that you have to live on base IF there is space available in the BOQ. Thus it may be necessary to go to the Q and get a non-availability chit. Also, you can go out and get a lease. They will not require you to break the lease. This is sort of an example of the "permission vs forgivness" policy.

Sort of. When I went through API (Summer 2001) we had guys living at the Q. That was before the F-18 transition and Safety school being moved to PCola (and God knows what else). Now, I believe the understanding is that a PCS move will not require you to live in the Q, and you may not be able to if you even want to because of the constant flow of TAD traffic there.

You do, however, still need a stamp of non-availability. Stop by the Q before you go to check in at PSD and get it. It's a few seconds and it's a CYA thing. I've come to the point that I do that the night I check into the squadron whenever I move.

Since the Navy is PCSing you for API, you may want to go ahead and take HHLV too...that's 10 days of no-cost TAD orders starting on a Friday and ending on a Monday. It's then that you are encouraged to sign the lease for your new place...thus already having a place in town.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
I have never even heard (except for the Vance folks here on AW) of any officer or SNCO anywhere being forced to live on base. You can safely assume that wherever you go you can buy or rent a house/apartment. Whether you should or not is up to you.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I have never even heard (except for the Vance folks here on AW) of any officer or SNCO anywhere being forced to live on base. You can safely assume that wherever you go you can buy or rent a house/apartment. Whether you should or not is up to you.

A few years ago Whiting was making folks do it...something to do with wanting the Q to be full since they paid all to renovate it and it would be good for folks to be close to work and the sims, keep em focused or something like that. I think it went away after Ivan trashed a bunch of the Q rooms.

S3Dude

pilot

They were doing it to students at Kingsville back in 2000. They had just updated (if you can call it that) the BOQ and wanted it full. Typically guys only had to live there for 2 months or before enough turnover had taken place. Good times...

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
A few years ago Whiting was making folks do it...something to do with wanting the Q to be full since they paid all to renovate it and it would be good for folks to be close to work and the sims, keep em focused or something like that. I think it went away after Ivan trashed a bunch of the Q rooms.

When I checked into TW-5 in Sept 05 they were still renovating the Q. Starting with the classes to check in after me the studs had to show a copy of a lease to the BOQ ladies to get the non-availibility stamp. Don't know if they plan on making studs stay in the Q once its all renovated though.

pdx

HSM Pilot
Since the Navy is PCSing you for API, you may want to go ahead and take HHLV too...that's 10 days of no-cost TAD orders starting on a Friday and ending on a Monday. It's then that you are encouraged to sign the lease for your new place...thus already having a place in town.

API is not a PCS for guys coming from OCS. If you were civilian (not BDCP or prior) before OCS, you will not get to move anything until your first permanent duty station, which is primary. That also means no house hunting leave or anything else.

Kycntryboy

pilot
Suggesting a sticky (Since every aviator goes through API they would read this.

Since I am sincerely pissed of at my apartment complex right now, I want to start a thread of where not to rent. I have only one, but I feel others may add their own.... so...
Heritage Apartment (North Davis) by Circuit City. Do yourself a favor and go somewhere up the street. I have heard about SNFO's having trouble getting out of there contracts at Crestview at Oakleigh but I will leave that to someone else.

So about Heritage...
right now it is 85 degrees in my apartment (top floor) (Thermostat set on 70). The unit is on 24 hours a day. I keep my blinds closed and fans running. The unit is "working" because it will only provide no less than 10 and no more than 20 degrees difference than it is outside (So if it is a 100 outside than I can hope for no better than 80 in my apartment). They won't replace the AC with a better unit because "then they would have to replace them all" .... boo hoo. I pay rent for a reason. If their office can keep 70 degrees to work then mine should be able to keep that to live in.
(-)They don't have cable outlets so I have cables going all around my apartment to different tv's. Apparently cable is a fad.
(-)Some idiot did the electricity wiring around here and the bathroom blower and light is one switch.
(-)The living room ceiling fan and light does not have a switch, so I have to guess how many pulls until the ceiling fan is off.
(+)There is two pools
(-) Some idiot designed one of the pools and the felt the need to have different levels (steps going around the pool each level is different by about 3 inches) in the pool area. This is perfect for small kids who want to trip and bust their face on cement. I busted the shit out of my toe, I'm pissed I'm just glad that it wasn't my niece.
So I'm screwed and can't wait until I select even if I get rotary I am moving out of here.

Cavt

Living the dream
pilot
thats interesting, my girlfriend applied for a job doing property management there and they wouldn't hire her because and I quote "You are too experienced for this" even when she pleaded that she would work hard, liked the work, and even though it was less than she was used to making she understood that, they refused and the funny thing is her experience was 3 months of property management with a rental company out in town sigh...that place is a little screwed up.

T

tbrooks1124

Yes. That place is a dump. It is one of the older places to live in Pensacola. Yicky. Check into the Florida renters rights. I have gotten out of a lease before by being a total you know what. If they don't comply with the rights of the renter, you can take action.

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
Two words: Governor's Gate.

Kinda pricey, but with another ENS as a roomate, it's well worth it.

The scenery's not bad around the pool either.. God bless UWF...:D