• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Housing advice for API/ Primary

E2Cougar

NFO
None
WASHINGTON, D.C. – December 22, 2006 – The National Fair Housing Alliance today filed race discrimination complaints against two apartment complexes in the Gulf States of Florida and Texas: Governors Gate Apartment Homes in Pensacola, FL and Crestbrook Apartments in Burleson, TX. The Alliance also issued "Still No Home for the Holidays", a report outlining the housing discrimination that hurricane survivors continue to face this holiday season.

Maybe that's why they're involved in a class action lawsuit regarding unfair leasing practices?

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor

Cavt

Living the dream
pilot
I was as well, but after reading this, I got to thinking about the racial diversity here in GG...and well, I guess I never noticed the lack of it until now, or never thought anything about it...still pretty disturbing.

shortncurly

Avoid the Marcus Pointe Grande apartments like the plague. While some of the houses up around there might be nice, the apartment complex sucks beyond the telling of it. While the units themselves are nice and roomy, the construction is shoddy and the grounds suck. Plus, I think a well-trained monkey could run the front office better. Unless they're under new management, the people who run Marcus Pointe are seriously retarded. And they'll screw you out of your security deposit no matter how clean you leave the place. Also, a few other folks from AW have lived there and we've all had them try to screw us - apparently MP doesn't understand the meaning of the "military clause."

Of course, I lived there back in '05, so things might have changed there. It has to have gotten better, 'cause it couldn't get any worse.

Cavt

Living the dream
pilot
Avoid the Marcus Pointe Grande apartments like the plague. While some of the houses up around there might be nice, the apartment complex sucks beyond the telling of it. While the units themselves are nice and roomy, the construction is shoddy and the grounds suck. Plus, I think a well-trained monkey could run the front office better. Unless they're under new management, the people who run Marcus Pointe are seriously retarded. And they'll screw you out of your security deposit no matter how clean you leave the place. Also, a few other folks from AW have lived there and we've all had them try to screw us - apparently MP doesn't understand the meaning of the "military clause."

Of course, I lived there back in '05, so things might have changed there. It has to have gotten better, 'cause it couldn't get any worse.

Another place the GF applied, or rather tried to apply, for a job, she called there many times, and the phone rang and rang and rang, for giggles we let it ring once, 5 minutes, no pick up, no machine, no nothing...

SoxyPeach

HelAntiSubWife
We spent a year living in Northwoods Apartments in NE Pensacola and have very little to complain about. Rent is pretty cheap for the area, and we have had zero issues with management. The apartments themselves are a decent size, and any small maintenance issues we've had have been fixed just hours after we put in the requests. It's about a 30 min drive to NAS Pensacola and 35 min to Whiting. The complex doesn't look that great from the road, but you may change your mind after seeing the inside. We've had a few sketchy neighbors, but hell, doesn't everyone in Pensacola have those?

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I holed up in AustinHood out the back gate while I was in the VTs and for the six months of geo-bach'ing I did when I first came back as an instructor. I had good luck with them both times, but I've heard enough complaints about them from others that I may be in the minority. Plus, the place is frankly starting to go downhill. The redneck couple downstairs from me often filled the nighttime air with entertaining but disturbing domestic disputes.

Decent apartments in P'cola are real hard to come by, because they cater almost exclusively to short-term folks - flight school studs and Pensacola Single Moms - so they apparently don't feel much need to make the complexes nice, and there's a lot of management turnover.

Find a friend or two or three and go in on a rental house. There are plenty to be had, much bigger and nicer than any apartment you're likely to find, and you'll probably pay less per month than for an apartment, too. Local landlords and rental agencies are mostly very understanding about the comings and goings of flight students.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
Village at southern oakes is pretty nice. Wish the pool was bigger, but that's pretty much my only complaint so far. Any time I have had a problem (light out, grill out of gas, etc.) it was resolved in a very timely fashion.

http://www.villageatsouthernoaks.com/

Huge caution on this one. They actually tried to cheat me out of almost $1500...so much to the point where I had to threaten to get a lawyer before they agreed to follow State law...keep in mind they didn't deny that what I was saying was the law, they just said they didn't follow that one...

They will lie and cheat in order to keep your money.

pennst8

Next guy to ask about thumbdrives gets shot.
Contributor
Just talked to another friend living at countrywood... they are trying to charge him for an entire extra month of rent despite the fact he gave them 30+ days notice that he was getting orders to Norfolk....

Those of you reading this, do yourself a favor, rent a house, it saves a lot of headaches later.

MIDNCOX

jamnww,

I don't suppose you could expound at all on your situation with Southern Oaks by any chance, could you? I am just getting ready to put myself on their waiting list ($400) for an upcoming apartment, but do not want to make any huge mistakes in that regard. Thanks for your time.

V/R,
cox3497

crysmc

MH-60S Pilot Wife
Super Moderator
Contributor

Ditto on this... they tried to screw us too. Didn't want to honor the military clause, tried to nickel and dime us. It got so bad that JAG called on our behalf to straighten it all out.

pal215

None
I stayed at Austin Woods on Blue angel outside of the backgate. They seemed nice enough till I moved out and then they kept me and my rommate's security deposits claiming we destroyed the carpet and put holes in the walls.

KnightNArmor

ASO
pilot
I lived at Crestview at Oakleigh... unless the management changed, I took my web-orders to them and they didn't have a single issue with me leaving. got most of my security deposit back as well... it's pretty decent as far as drive time to both NASP and Whiting.

etsgraham

If my husband will be coming down to the FL area soon but will have to do IFS school first and then API, should we get a place in Milton or in Pensacola? And is it worth it to BUY a house?