• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

House passes aviation safety bill in response to Buffalo crash

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
True, but I think you might be shortchanging groundschool and simulators. I can learn more in one hour practicing engine starts and starting malfunctions in a simulator with a good instructor followed by ten actual engine starts than I can in a hundred engine starts and no sim time.

Well argued points, but I think I still disagree. You can never substitute the smells, the difficulty reading that gauge down there because the reflection is bright, the interaction with line personnel, the buzz of radios and ICS in your ears, knowing that there isn't a "reset" button, the sense of responsibility to get it right because people are watching and listening. These things you don't get in a simulator. I'm not saying that simulators don't have value, of course they do. As you've stated, they are good procedural trainers - just that though, procedural trainers, not experience getters.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
.... there isn't a "reset" button, the sense of responsibility to get it right because people are watching and listening. These things you don't get in a simulator....
Agree ...

Bottom line after @ 4-5K hours of simulator instructing: most/all guys recognize (sub/unconsciously -- whichever) that the simulator can't KILL YOU ... but they know the airplane can --- that's a big difference.

A BIG DIFFERENCE ...

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Number of guys I personally knew killed coming aboard: Several [old days, but not now]
Number of guys I personally knew killed in the simulator: None

Consiously or unconsiously, a ramp strike was always in the back of my mind. Doing it for real a number of times reduces that fear factor, unlike the sim.
While the sim is a great representation, it cannot duplicate or overcome the real fear factor.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
The increased requirements will hopefully help drive up the entry-level salaries at regionals. It will bottleneck things even further at lower levels, though. Now guys will have to time-build even more as IPs and doing charter work. Salaries in those sectors will go down even more.

Hopefully, in the long term, more people will see that the route towards a good paycheck in aviation just got even longer and not enter the marketplace in the first place. There are way too many who see the glamorous side of the profession and create this glut of pilots willing to accept slave wages.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Actually ... I think the increased requirements might be a boon to the former military pilot -- you know: more total time, tickets (get your tickets), and 'quality' of flight time ... like it used to be ... :)

The airlines are ALWAYS looking to cut time to train & the associated costs .... sooooooooooooooooo ... in theory, guys who bring 'more & better' to the table should .... hell, let's make that: WILL ... have a leg up on hiring preferences over guys who "don't" ...

It almost makes you wanna' say "the more things change ... " :)

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I can only hope.

Still wondering what black hole of worthlessness tiltrotor time will be in the civilian world.
Airline:"You don't have enough fixed-wing time."
EMS/Petroleum/PMC helo operator:"You don't have enough helo time."

Guess there's work as a civilian sim instructor...2 X's a day in glorious Jax, NC!

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
I can only hope.

Still wondering what black hole of worthlessness tiltrotor time will be in the civilian world.
Airline:"You don't have enough fixed-wing time."
EMS/Petroleum/PMC helo operator:"You don't have enough helo time."

Guess there's work as a civilian sim instructor...2 X's a day in glorious Jax, NC!

First, quick thread jack...where will they put tilt rotor guys who want to go to CNATRA? Primary is always an option, but can you go to multi or helos?

On topic, is there anything keeping regional pilots from unionizing? Unions are as much about protecting labor from themselves as they are about protecting them from management. I'm normally very against unions, but in some instances the pros seem to outweigh the cons. In this case it may help to protect both the pilots from themselves (dudes who will work for anything, thus really cheapening their profession) as well as protect the passengers from unsafe practices like spreading the crew rest very thin.

MasterBates

I wonder how my logbook will play for the airlines.

I'm sitting at 1700ish military hours (logbook is at work, and I'm not :D ), with about 800 helo hours, 150 jet hours, and the rest of it single and multi turboprop time. I've got about 600 hours in the E-2C and TE-2C, the rest of the prop time is T-34 and T-44. Probably add about 150-200 E-2 time and that's where I'll probably end up when I leave AD. Lack of ME A time is what's probably going to kill me on the FW side of the house (I have 0 as of now. All AC time is in helos, or the T-34/45)

I wonder if I'll be in the Phrogpilot quandary if I decide to go airlines.

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
First, quick thread jack...where will they put tilt rotor guys who want to go to CNATRA? Primary is always an option, but can you go to multi or helos?

The tilt rotor guys wing with us so they most likely could come back to VT-35 (TC-12s).

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
We had CH-46 pilots as IPs in TC-12s. They went thru our systems class, then thru the IUT and they got the omni-omni and were blessed as multiengine instructors. I doubt the tilt rotor bubbas will have much difficulty coming home to momma and teaching studs in -44s and C-12s.