• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Hot new helicopter/rotorcraft news

hscs

pilot

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I don't disagree on the face of it, but of course the calculus is a bit more involved than that. Maintenance on a fleet of 2 or 3 aircraft to do the job one can do is certainly a consideration. Training and currency for pilots on more than one airframe. Average stage lengths and destination facilities/capabilities as well. The 609 is certainly crazy expensive for what it is, but maybe that price reflects what they already have identified as a small niche market that will bear the price.

I love me some tiltrotors, but they aren’t easy to maintain, and a small fleet will make it even harder. eVTOLS are going to make the last few miles of many trips even easier, removing some of the justification for such a vehicle.

609 may be as much an example of sunk cost fallacy as anything else.

Militaries are a prime example of “X has to be done, regardless of the cost.” Very few private entities work like that.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Some interesting Bell Helicopter news….

I wonder if I could get that system to work on the Griz-O-Copter?
These aircraft were already getting armed aftermarket. This is just a way for the OEM to get that action. There are also some USG policies that make this beneficial to buyers.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Other interesting news, Japan is divesting all of its attack and recon rotary assets in favor of armed drones. While the savings in personnel, maintenance and such are obvious, I wonder if any of this is a result of the helicopter carnage we’ve seen in the Ukraine?

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Other interesting news, Japan is divesting all of its attack and recon rotary assets in favor of armed drones. While the savings in personnel, maintenance and such are obvious, I wonder if any of this is a result of the helicopter carnage we’ve seen in the Ukraine?

Having recently "played" with some of the latest public-safety oriented drones/sUAS (think pick-up bed size vehicles) the tech and sensors on COTS systems are amazing. I'm guessing the JSDF will leverage battery and internal combustion tech to get the range/sortie duration.

Ventus

Weather Guesser
pilot
Not quite that bad. The coalition forces lost about 70 helicopters to hostile fire between OIF and OEF with 14 of those being scout ships (10 in Iraq and 4 in Afghanistan) while 15 Apache’s were shot down and 20 -60’s and 13 Chinooks. The Kiowa Warrior was simply too small to bolt more sensors on so the Army wanted rid of it. Scouts still have a place and all of the FARA (future attack-recon aircraft) models are working hard to avoid the fatness of the Apache and the skinny nature of the Kiowa even though I think the lesson of the Ukraine war in this case is to use UAVs for the scout mission and make your attack helicopters fast and small.
I just remember reading about this legend

kiowa legend.PNG

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot

I wouldn’t draw many conclusions from the tactical lunacy being displayed in Ukraine. Not anything remotely close to how we would operate in that environment.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
I wouldn’t draw many conclusions from the tactical lunacy being displayed in Ukraine. Not anything remotely close to how we would operate in that environment.
This is a solid point. I have a grasp on how the U.S. expects to operate in a highly contested (NATO like) environment and I have spent plenty of time at 29 Palms and Fort Irwin. But, I have assumed that the forces of darkness have been watching as well trying to learn a thing or two. So the “tactical lunacy” we see in the Ukraine is surprising to me. I can’t figure out if the primary Russian systems either (a) simply don’t work, (b) are manned by idiots who don’t know how to work them, or (c) aren’t actually deployed for fear of having their technology exposed or being lost in combat.

On the other hand, while I don’t think we are necessarily seeing what the next war will look like, I do believe there are lessons to be learned.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

I think Japan's situation is pretty unique, and I don't think it is very smart decision on their part but they'll do whatever they do.

Also, one of the lessons to be learned from the Ukraine war is that relying on UAV's is not the way to go in a 'high end' conflict.

What's going on with the USMC skids community? I've heard of cobra/huey guys showing up to their FRS as of late and having their contracts dropped from 8 years to 6. And being told some things that have left them... feeling less than motivated.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
What's going on with the USMC skids community? I've heard of cobra/huey guys showing up to their FRS as of late and having their contracts dropped from 8 years to 6. And being told some things that have left them... feeling less than motivated.
Well, my guess, and it is a total guess, is that the Corps is going to piggyback off the FVL work done by the army so their new machines can keep up with the V-22. The tech going into the new ships is expensive so probably there will be fewer of them. So, while hovering isn’t going anywhere, we might see the end of skids in the next ten years or so.

Well, my guess, and it is a total guess, is that the Corps is going to piggyback off the FVL work done by the army so their new machines can keep up with the V-22. The tech going into the new ships is expensive so probably there will be fewer of them. So, while hovering isn’t going anywhere, we might see the end of skids in the next ten years or so.
Shame. The externalities caused by FD2030 have made trying to position yourself in the right places at the right times as a budding aviator feel like a walk through a minefield.