• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Hot new helicopter/rotorcraft news

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot
Yeah, I'll see that unsolicited proposal and show them the last 25 years or so UAV development. Nice model though, so I guess they've got that going for them?

Are there any DoD/Joint restrictions on the Army buying Group 4/5 UAS? Group 3 and below probably doesn’t meet the Army’s requirement for organic deep reconnaissance.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Are there any DoD/Joint restrictions on the Army buying Group 4/5 UAS? Group 3 and below probably doesn’t meet the Army’s requirement for organic deep reconnaissance.
That is a great question. I’ll ask around to see if I can find anything.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
No. The Kiowa was quickly retired when it was found to be exactly 0% survivable in contested environments. Just small arms brought down plenty in AFG/IRQ, never mind seeing what modern MANPADs are doing to more capable Russian platforms in UKR. Armed scout was nice idea for the Fulda gap in 1985 but has no place in modern warfare. The Apache and Blackhawk at least have armor, ASE gear, and redundant systems that can survive more than a few minutes on the battlefield.
Not quite that bad. The coalition forces lost about 70 helicopters to hostile fire between OIF and OEF with 14 of those being scout ships (10 in Iraq and 4 in Afghanistan) while 15 Apache’s were shot down and 20 -60’s and 13 Chinooks. The Kiowa Warrior was simply too small to bolt more sensors on so the Army wanted rid of it. Scouts still have a place and all of the FARA (future attack-recon aircraft) models are working hard to avoid the fatness of the Apache and the skinny nature of the Kiowa even though I think the lesson of the Ukraine war in this case is to use UAVs for the scout mission and make your attack helicopters fast and small.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Not quite that bad. The coalition forces lost about 70 helicopters to hostile fire between OIF and OEF with 14 of those being scout ships (10 in Iraq and 4 in Afghanistan) while 15 Apache’s were shot down and 20 -60’s and 13 Chinooks. The Kiowa Warrior was simply too small to bolt more sensors on so the Army wanted rid of it. Scouts still have a place and all of the FARA (future attack-recon aircraft) models are working hard to avoid the fatness of the Apache and the skinny nature of the Kiowa even though I think the lesson of the Ukraine war in this case is to use UAVs for the scout mission and make your attack helicopters fast and small.

Maybe. Raw numbers don't tell the whole story considering the volumes of helos flown in those conflicts. Wikipedia says 35 airframes lost during the conflict. Not trying to be emotional but my friend's husband was shot down in a Kiowa by just small arms and had to relearn how to walk over the course of a couple years. His copilot didn't survive.

As others have said, the light armed scout mission is now performed by UAS that can do it for cheaper and without losing pilots. Pure gunships and assault transport still have a role to play in a land war, as does logistics and various naval combat missions.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I'm just still not convinced UAS is the answer in a near-peer. Even with crypto. There seems to be a lot of examples of how a couple of guys with some long wires and a generator can be too disruptive. I don't expect an answer here, but I do wonder how robust UAS INS in a denied environment, but even then, targeting resolution is going to decrease drastically.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm just still not convinced UAS is the answer in a near-peer. Even with crypto. There seems to be a lot of examples of how a couple of guys with some long wires and a generator can be too disruptive. I don't expect an answer here, but I do wonder how robust UAS INS in a denied environment, but even then, targeting resolution is going to decrease drastically.

I think that many of the near-peer threats to UAV's are the same that would pose a very serious threat to manned scout helicopters. The juice just may not be worth the squeeze when it comes to an OH-58 successor.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
….shot down in a Kiowa by just small arms and had to relearn how to walk over the course of a couple years. His copilot didn't survive.

As others have said, the light armed scout mission is now performed by UAS that can do it for cheaper and without losing pilots. Pure gunships and assault transport still have a role to play in a land war, as does logistics and various naval combat missions.
I don’t doubt the first part. I have an ARCOM for participating in a street fight to rescue a Kiowa crew. Scouts fly low, slow, an over the same area for multiple sweeps. I agree that UAS can fill in most of the work (and that the army doesn’t need a stop-gap scout ship) but they do need to design the new ship for real recon - attack.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
In other news Leonardo has flown its first production plopter. I seriously wonder if the market wants something like this.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
In other news Leonardo has flown its first production plopter. I seriously wonder if the market wants something like this.

This has been, what 20 years in the making? Like you Griz, scratching my head on the application - private or commercial. A solution in search of a problem. For $25MM you can buy a fleet of PC-12s with good STOL capability and a few modern Airbus helos...

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
This has been, what 20 years in the making? Like you Griz, scratching my head on the application - private or commercial. A solution in search of a problem. For $25MM you can buy a fleet of PC-12s with good STOL capability and a few modern Airbus helos...
I mean if I won the lottery (twice maybe) I’d buy one to zip around in. Be the coolest guy at the airport! Also, I think CAP should dump the ancient Cessna designs and buy a few hundred of these.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Rooftop to rooftop at airplane ranges / speeds for Executives / VIP’s all over the world for whom money is not an object - but time, security and privacy are.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Tha
Rooftop to rooftop at airplane ranges / speeds for Executives / VIP’s all over the world for whom money is not an object - but time, security and privacy are.
That's a small group to hang an aircraft on.

Unless you're also the owner, CEOs have to justify expenses like this in a business case. If I can buy two helicopters and a jet for the price of a 609, the board is going to think it's a frivolous expense.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Tha

That's a small group to hang an aircraft on.

Unless you're also the owner, CEOs have to justify expenses like this in a business case. If I can buy two helicopters and a jet for the price of a 609, the board is going to think it's a frivolous expense.
I don't disagree on the face of it, but of course the calculus is a bit more involved than that. Maintenance on a fleet of 2 or 3 aircraft to do the job one can do is certainly a consideration. Training and currency for pilots on more than one airframe. Average stage lengths and destination facilities/capabilities as well. The 609 is certainly crazy expensive for what it is, but maybe that price reflects what they already have identified as a small niche market that will bear the price.