• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Hot new helicopter/rotorcraft news

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A few years back the army decided to get rid of all their armed scout helicopters and rely only on the Apache. Everyone in the field said it wouldn’t work so of course the army did it anyway. Fast forward and now the army is crying for a new interim armed scout…enter the Airbus OH-145M! I swear…these decisions and changes are made years in advance!

View attachment 36436

View attachment 36437

That’s a model by the way.

Is that an actual Army requirement or an industry proposal?

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Savvy marketing by Airbus. This would be a short putt for the Army. I could see this happening.

No. The Kiowa was quickly retired when it was found to be exactly 0% survivable in contested environments. Just small arms brought down plenty in AFG/IRQ, never mind seeing what modern MANPADs are doing to more capable Russian platforms in UKR. Armed scout was nice idea for the Fulda gap in 1985 but has no place in modern warfare. The Apache and Blackhawk at least have armor, ASE gear, and redundant systems that can survive more than a few minutes on the battlefield.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Unsolicited.
No. The Kiowa was quickly retired when it was found to be exactly 0% survivable in contested environments. Just small arms brought down plenty in AFG/IRQ, never mind seeing what modern MANPADs are doing to more capable Russian platforms in UKR. Armed scout was nice idea for the Fulda gap in 1985 but has no place in modern warfare. The Apache and Blackhawk at least have armor, ASE gear, and redundant systems that can survive more than a few minutes on the battlefield.

Yeah, I'll see that unsolicited proposal and show them the last 25 years or so UAV development. Nice model though, so I guess they've got that going for them?

Keep in mind it is this….

Not so cool…
View attachment 36451

Versus this…

Super cool…
View attachment 36453

One type has a probable air-to-air kill while the other doesn't. Just sayin!