• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Help

NavyFTW

Ok, so I made it all the way through T-6's without so much as a yellow sheet. I got to T1's, maintained all my study patterns, passed the first flight and promptly failed two rides in a row. My brain is fried, I'm exhausted and I have an IPC on Wednesday. How do I survive? I'd be grateful for anything you can offer. I don't think I'm a shitbag, I spend every night studying, I'm not a partier. I just get SOO far behind on the approach hops that I can't recover. It seems like the NFO's and pilots are grading off of two vastly different sets of criteria. I've never felt like I was in so far over my head. Thoughts?

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
Two things that might help, based on your post:

Practice with the RIOT Trainer.

Figure out what's hurting you (basic knowledge, procedures, scan, etc.) and get that part iced.

Just my $0.02.

Crowbar

None
It seems like the NFO's and pilots are grading off of two vastly different sets of criteria.

That was common when I went through, I even caught myself saying it a few times. Not what you want to hear, but it doesn't get any easier after you finish T-1s.

At any rate, what specifically are you having trouble with? Bogged down in checklists? Get lost and fly all over creation during approaches?

NavyFTW

I'm getting bogged down in the checklists because I keep getting corrected and don't want to interrupt. The radio's are really messing with me because switching them is much more involved than in the T-6. My approaches are really slow in general, I just chair flew three approaches and outlined my problems. It just feels like my mojo in the plane is all wrong. Can't seem to get anything right and it continues to snowball. Also the not being able to write down frequencies/who I'm talking to is causing me to be more retarded than usual on the radios.

Crowbar

None
The radios are harder to program?
Step 1: Type in freq
Step 2: Push soft key
You don't even have to write that shit down! It's right there on the scratchpad for you.

Anyway, what do you mean you keep getting corrected?

NavyFTW

I think its the transition from 'write down freq, twist in freq, press button to make it active freq, click the right mic' is whats getting me. And that wafer has gotten me a few times. I keep getting corrected because it seems like everyone has a different preference for either vhf and uhf and they'll jump in and change it on me on the scratch pad. It's probably an issue with assertiveness on my part, along with culture shock in having someone sitting over my shoulder. Just chair flew three more approaches, went over my outline of problems and study solutions and I have a bunch of questions for my chalk-talker tomorrow. At the very least I'm working hard on this.

Crowbar

None
culture shock in having someone sitting over my shoulder.

I've told people before that yes it's a pain to learn the T-1 for what, eight flights? But it's a good transition. Once you move on you'll be learning radar procedures and other crap so this is your chance to start working with/as a crew.

A recommendation...it's great that you did some chair flying but find the "best" student (or two) you know, and have him watch you a few times. I'm sure you can find an instructor or two who will do the same. Chances are an outsider will see something you're doing wrong that you aren't picking up on. Good luck.

For an added amount of realism, and nerdery, blast liveatc.net on your computer while you're practicing.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I think its the transition from 'write down freq, twist in freq, press button to make it active freq, click the right mic' is whats getting me. And that wafer has gotten me a few times. I keep getting corrected because it seems like everyone has a different preference for either vhf and uhf and they'll jump in and change it on me on the scratch pad. It's probably an issue with assertiveness on my part, along with culture shock in having someone sitting over my shoulder. Just chair flew three more approaches, went over my outline of problems and study solutions and I have a bunch of questions for my chalk-talker tomorrow. At the very least I'm working hard on this.

I may be just a monkey holding the stick, but the above bolded part is what struck me, and was also an issue for me in flight school, and even a bit of a transition for me in the RAG. Despite the fact you're a stud, you need to be assertive as if you're the one in charge. Not sure about FO-land, as I'll never work with them, but act as if you signed for the aircraft and you're running the show (the show that doesn't involve physically handling the controls :icon_tong) and I think when everyone is on page with what YOU are doing, you will be in much better shape and much more ahead of the aircraft.

Again, I'm not sure what exactly they want or expect out of you in FOland, and if/when/how you're allowed to task the crew with stuff, but this at least helped ME in flight training.

Best of luck with your IPC and keep your head up! Everyone has trouble... even me.... even in the RAG.

magnetfreezer

Despite the fact you're a stud, you need to be assertive as if you're the one in charge. Not sure about FO-land, as I'll never work with them, but act as if you signed for the aircraft and you're running the show (the show that doesn't involve physically handling the controls :icon_tong) and I think when everyone is on page with what YOU are doing, you will be in much better shape and much more ahead of the aircraft.

'2'

While T-6 briefs usually involved the instructor discussing stuff with you and your responsibility was to show up with the designated knowledges/procedures and mission products, T-1 and T-39 land is designed to develop your mission commander skills. From the moment you step into the brief, have the attitude that you are taking the INFO/pilot flying. The pilots are contractors for a good reason, the pilot needs to transition from an 'adversary' grading you in the T-6 to a part of your crew like it will be in later aircraft (don't know about the navy side but F-15E and B-1 WSOs both fly with student pilots occasionally in the RAG). If you get confused about when to use VHF/UHF, make it a CRM item in the brief - asking the pilot what his preference is beforehand is the best way to find out.

If you brief the pilot like you know what you are talking about, and get the checklists down so he doesn't have to correct you, then he will be happier. Then it becomes you+pilot vs instructor instead of you vs instructor + pilot. Another reason to be more assertive is basic CRM - the pilots have flown any particular event hundreds of times. Therefore they tend to tune out the TRACOM chatter of turnpoint procedures, etc between the instructor and student. When you actually want the pilot to do something, then, you will need to make that very clear (left, right, climb, descend, set).

The brief doesn't end when you walk out, either - feed the approach to the pilot in bite size chunks. When you are on the HI-TACAN and going down to 1300', tell him the next altitude restriction, etc. that way he can help you out since he is ahead of the aircraft and knows you are as well.

Dirty

Registered abUser
pilot
None
Contributor
Dude, Chillllllll.... You're wrapping your head around that shit pretty hard. We all have weight on ass helmet fires. Prep the best you can, look at the briefing items, have a good working knowledge and a general plan of what you're going to do. We all fuck it away, you just got to let it slide. So you below one area, get an above on another one vice flushing the rest of the ride. Talk to the plane, tell it you're going to make it you're bitch before it even attempts to make you hers... They'll get you through, sounds like you're not a quitter.

NavyFTW

Update

So, two FPC's later I'm beginning to seriously doubt my fitness for this particular line of work. At this point I'm going to a board with the Commodore and sitting around the squadron studying for eight hours a day. I have no word on when the board is going to happen, but I have been told by one instructor that it 'would behoove me to start thinking about what else I want to do'.

My question is, what do I do? How do I pick up and move on from here? I know a good attitude and work ethic will take you a lot of places but I think its fair to say that I'm going to be dealing with a lot of static from people who think I'm a worthless washout (not necessarily untrue, but not fun to have to work against).

I was given two FPC's and all the help in the universe from my squadron, which is why I don't hold a lot of hope for retention.

Any suggestions for which community I should request? Does anyone have any information or advice? Thanks again.

Mustang83

Professional back-seat driver
None
Fight for what you want. Going to the Commodore isn't the end of the line. Continue to display your dedication to training and present yourself as the most squared away officer you can. Continue getting help from fellow students, I suggest looking for individuals who have finished T-1's and are waiting for VT-86, they will be the freshest. Or if you really push, find studs who are done with the -39 and are waiting for the -45, they will really have some gouge for approaches and any other help you may need. Bottom line; never give up if this is what you want.

CAVU

just livin' the dream...
None
... My question is, what do I do? How do I pick up and move on from here? I know a good attitude and work ethic will take you a lot of places but I think its fair to say that I'm going to be dealing with a lot of static from people who think I'm a worthless washout (not necessarily untrue, but not fun to have to work against).

Mustang83's " never give up if this is what you want. " SHACK!

BLUF - It's about attitude. Your last post reads as though you haven't given up, but you have a perception that you will be dropped. You won't know the answer until you see the Commodore. Take some pride in the fact that no matter what, you have been giving it your best shot, you didn't quit and that you are still an officer. Go in there and fight for the chance.

Plenty of folks have gone before you who did not finish flight school or the RAG and went onto other programs and did exceptionally well. I know several personally. During my time as a SNFO and BN in training, I don't recall anyone (instructor or student) giving the officer any "static" or thinking the person was a "worthless washout". We wished them well and we all focused on the task at hand. Regardless of status, we are all officers and we should treat each other as such. So put those thoughts in your rear view mirror

If the Commodore makes the decision to attrite, you may have some say in your future. Each year the Navy's needs are different. I'm not in a position to tell you what we need right now. If you like the Brown shoe community (which is a GREAT community), consider aviation Intel or AMDO. Otherwise look through the Navy's officer recruiting site and see what's out there that appeals to you, prioritize a list and then go for it. Who knows, you may find yourself in the same wardroom as some of your classmates you know today.

Fight for NFO if that is what you want!

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
but I have been told by one instructor that it 'would behoove me to start thinking about what else I want to do'.
FUCK THAT GUY!

Any suggestions for which community I should request? Does anyone have any information or advice? Thanks again.
Umm, how about NFO?

If you do indeed get the axe from the Commodore, then worry about that shit. But until then, you are a brown shoe-wearin', soon-to-be-hinge-tormentin' cocky sonofabitch who is going to fight this to the last chance! Obviously the FPCs, pink sheets, and that dickhead instructor who thinks he's doing you a favor have taken your confidence down a notch. Any time I or my peers have had a helmet-fire moment/day/week, it was either studying or confidence-related. Clearly you're studying enough, so look in the mirror and repeat whatever you need to think about yourself* or do whatever else you think will pump you up for this. Your PRB should be a turning point, not an attrition point - it wouldn't be the first time.

*This sounds hokey, but I've seen it work.

NUFO06

None
Dont give up. Make sure you present a positive, want to be here at all cost attitude to the Commodore. Dont worry about other communities right now. IF you do get let go the process to redez is forever and you will have plenty of time to think about it then.