• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Help with understanding PLC application process

MasterBates

Here is the sad part.. It is apparent I have better hygiene than some here, and I'M THE ONE THAT LIVES IN A FUCKING CAMPER NEXT TO THE SWAMP!!! :eek:

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Can you enlist after having done 8-10+ years as an officer?

Unless there are special or unusual circumstances I dont' think that can be done. I only know of one guy, who was not an LDO or Warrant, who was able to go from enlisted after being an officer and his was a special case (he appealed all the way to SecAF to do it).

Clux4

Banned
Unless there are special or unusual circumstances I dont' think that can be done. I only know of one guy, who was not an LDO or Warrant, who was able to go from enlisted after being an officer and his was a special case (he appealed all the way to SecAF to do it).
I have met at least one Korean War vet that did it, so I know it is possible but the question now is whether policies have changed since then.
I also know that the National Guard has direct commission program, where a key stipulation of said program is that you make O-5 before a certain TOS or be reverted back to last held enlisted rank. (Granted they are a militia)
Hell, Army commissioned officer revert their commissions to be appointed. I should also add that the Department of the Army considers Warrant Officer 2 and above as commissioned officers and not appointed. So that might be the reason.

I will check the retirement manual. There should be something in there about this.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Swanee, it's now July.

I haven't had a haircut since March.

(that sound, is the collective sound of 1000 Marines' blood pressure going to 11)

And that, my beleaguered friend, is reason number 327 why you are as fucked up as a soup sandwich - and everyone knows it. (smiles simulated)

Brett

HueyCobra8151

pilot
Clux4: I have heard those stories as well, In the context of this thread I meant a) in the present day and b) active duty.

cmhumphr

CuMhUmPeR
Platoon Leaders Course

So once again with ROTC scholarships being put on a freeze, (rumor) people are finding other ways to pay for college ad get a commission. Is there anyone on the forum who is currently or got commissioned through the Marine Corps PLC program? What are the commitments, and is it a good way to go based on personal reasons?

MattWSU

pilot
Contributor
cumhumper,

I don't know if it is compatible with your personal reasons. It works well for me because the program is structured to be minimally interfering during the school year. It's also nice for financial reasons: Marine Corps Financial Assistance (FAP) and Tuition Assistance Programs (MCTAP) and E-5 pay for your summer time at Quantico.

I only use FAP for my own reasons; it doesn't affect your time in service whereas MCTAP does. Accepting cash as a part of MCTAP nullifies your enlistment date and pushes it forward to the day you report for TBS. This would take ~3 years off of my service time and that would mean a difference of about $500.00 a month, which isn't worth it in the long run (for me).

As far as commitments: air contracts have a six year service obligation if they select helos and eight year obligation if they select fixed wing, but the clock doesn't start ticking until you're winged.

Deror

How can I make this thread more awkward?
I just graduated PLC Seniors earlier this month. PLC is only during the summer. You do one 6 week cycle either between your fresh/soph or soph/junior years, and the 2nd 6 week cycle between jr/sr years.

www.marineocs.com is a great resource, and I'm sure there are many threads on here as well on the topic. Feel free to PM me if you can't find something