• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Help with understanding PLC application process

VIZKRIEG

KILL
From what my OSO was talking about last week, they are considering scaling back/phasing out the Juniors and Seniors, but retaining the PLC-Combined course. But I think that is still in the discussion phase thus far.

Riper Snifle

OCC 194 TBS C 03-07
I talked with my OSO a few weeks ago, and she said they are not going to send college freshman to OCS anymore, because only about 30% of them ever commission and it was not cost effective. PLC is still on going, they just want to send them when they are older and a little more certain that being a Marine Officer is what they really want to do. This could change in the future based on "needs of the Marine Corps."

2Blades

"Chester" 4 blades transition
pilot
I talked with my OSO a few weeks ago, and she said they are not going to send college freshman to OCS anymore, because only about 30% of them ever commission and it was not cost effective. PLC is still on going, they just want to send them when they are older and a little more certain that being a Marine Officer is what they really want to do. This could change in the future based on "needs of the Marine Corps."

HA, yea I was one of those guys who signed my contract in the fall of my freshman year and went to juniors the first summer!

USMC Helo Bubba

Contributor
USMC PLC Program help

Went through in the 90's but my info is obvioulsy dated.

I have a nephew who is interested (after some nudging). Would like to talk to someone who has been through the PLC program in the last couple years to get my facts straight. If willing to help please PM me.

Thanks

cavu185

PLC Eyes

I am a high school senior and am curious about the PLC program. My vision is borderline 20/40 and I am curious about whether you must meet this requirement before applying to the PLC program. In other words, can I get the guaranteed pilot slot if my eyes do not meet the required 20/40?

USMC Helo Bubba

Contributor
I am a high school senior and am curious about the PLC program. My vision is borderline 20/40 and I am curious about whether you must meet this requirement before applying to the PLC program. In other words, can I get the guaranteed pilot slot if my eyes do not meet the required 20/40?

I think as long as it is correctable to 20/20 but you'll need to ask an OSO to be sure.

Dust

You're okay if at 20/40 but on the limit. My 20/50 vision forced me into NFO.

Mako

You're okay if at 20/40 but on the limit. My 20/50 vision forced me into NFO.

Is it possible to apply for PLC air contract, (SNA not NFO) if your vision is worse than 20/40? I absolutely need PRK to be qualified however I can't seem to find any information on whether you need to have PRK done before applying for PLC or say when you have your completed your degree. If this isnt possible, is it an option to opt for a ground contract, finish PLC and then switch to an air contract before swearing in? If this is possible, how difficult would it be to do?

JTB7

If this isnt possible, is it an option to opt for a ground contract, finish PLC and then switch to an air contract before swearing in? If this is possible, how difficult would it be to do?

Its been done, just do a search. I would say difficult.
1.It is competitive to get ground contract
2.and then after switch to a hard to get air contract

I would talk to an OSO if I were you

swaller

I am currently applying for the program and I was wondering if having 3 traffic violations would have any serious affect on my application.

jtmedli

pilot
Is it possible to apply for PLC air contract, (SNA not NFO) if your vision is worse than 20/40? I absolutely need PRK to be qualified however I can't seem to find any information on whether you need to have PRK done before applying for PLC or say when you have your completed your degree. If this isnt possible, is it an option to opt for a ground contract, finish PLC and then switch to an air contract before swearing in? If this is possible, how difficult would it be to do?

Yes, you can switch from ground to air contracts and it's supposed to be easier if you're a PLC guy. I know a few guys who did just that.

As far as PRK goes, my advice for you is to have the PRK before you get everything locked down if the money is there to do it. I had it done and ended up with some minor complications that had to be worked out. I'm kind of glad that they came up before contracting and not after. This way I will have everything locked down and taken care of when I report to OCS (I'm an OCC candidate). It all depends on your specific situation though so talk to the docs and ask them.