• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Help with BOLTC--now known as DIVOLC

Tom

pilot
Contributor
CNATRA put out an instruction saying no one can wing without BOLTC or DIVOLC done. The farther you get from Pensacola without this done, the more of pain in the ass it is. If you're not scheduled to get it done before API, do what you can to get in a class as soon as possible. Some people stop training in the middle of primary or advanced to sit in a classroom for a week. When you're trying to get good at flying, a week off doesn't help.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
i already volunteer as a Big Brother and I am attempting to get involved with making meals for Meals on Wheels.

I promise I am not as much as a dirt bag as I am coming across as.

I'm sure you aren't but trust me, completing BOLTC isn't going to get you classed up for API the week after. As a SNFO, it worked that way for me, but I have SNA friends that are still waiting to class up for API who took BOLTC two months ago. Bottom line is, you'll still have to wait either way.

Oh, and trust me, I know how you feel when it comes to being stashed for a long time. I had a six month stash before finally getting down here a month ago. Don't make waves about it, or you might get screwed with a bad stash job here, like flight management. And hey, look on the bright side, at least you're not one of the stashes in flight management who got wammied and have been working there for over seven months.\

It's 75 and sunny on the beach today, go enjoy it.

gotta_fly

pilot
I'm kind of insterested in how you got an "aviation slant" in your class? When I took it in Pensacola, back in March, it was taught primarily by a SWO and we mainly followed "Ensign Me" around a ship and talked through different situations that could occur on a boat. I didn't really feel any aviation slant, but if they've changed it now thats awesome.

It's still the same program, but one of the instructors is a pilot and about half the time is devoted to explaining how the ENS Me stuff applies to a squadron. There's also a panel of Chiefs for Q&A, which is entirely aviation, and IIRC the entire last day was just aviation pro-knowledge; stuff like squadron organization, types of Div-O responsibilities, that sort of thing. It probably was pretty useless for the one nurse in our group, but the SNAs and SNFOs all felt like we got a lot out of it. The number one comment at the end was that we wished we had gone into it with a better attitude, since it turned out to be a lot better than just a 'check in the box' type of training.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
With all the delays, you'll hit the fleet with at least an "LTJG Me" or even "LT me". They used to do BOLTC AFTER winging. I wonder what is driving the before winging requirement?

-ea6bflyr ;)

jfulginiti

pilot
None
I've never understood why, if BOLTC/DIVOLC is only 5 days, why isn't it part of OCS? Anyone? Anyone? Isn't that what OCS is supposed to be about? Leadership?

navy09

None
What's the curriculum? The ROTC semester-long leadership classes are a joke. A 5 day version seems ridiculous.

Bevo16

pilot
Having been enlisted for two years, the BOLTC class was pretty useless. I am not sure that it was any better for anyone else either.

When I got to the fleet, I was smart enough to know that I didn't know it all and to try to keep it to myself if I did. (This is hard for an arrogant Texan). The most important thing that I did was to follow my chief around like a mommy quail on the flight deck. Head on a swivel, left check, right, check, not more than 18 inches from Chief Andy, check.

There is your BOLTC. Send me your paperwork and I'll sign it.

red_ryder

None
holy cow, genius idea. by the way, get some hobbies or a temp job and stop complaining, you know how many people are lucky enough to get a salary to work out? yeah.

torpedo0126

just because I am anxious to start what I set out to do 4 years ago I don't think deserves "stop complaining" and "go to the beach" remarks. in fact my original inquiry was just if there were other ways to get the BOLTC requirement out of the way. being stashed for 6+ months is quite a period of time.

also, it seems there were some replies that mentioned specifically that getting the requirement out of the way early helps with headaches later on, so "yeah"

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm certain you are not the ONLY SNA/SNFO playing the waiting game. Unless you can sweet talk someone from FLT Management to get you into an earlier class, then you'll be stuck waiting, like everyone else. Sorry.

As for the "un-just" remarks. Just take it for what it's worth and move on, or grow some thicker skin. Thick skin will pay dividends when you get to the fleet.

-ea6bflyr ;)

ImfromJersey

dude, seriously? stop whining, because that's what you're doing. you sound like you think you're the only one who is waiting to class up, but trust me, you're not. you're getting paid, probably more than most of your non-military friends to do nothing. enjoy it. yes, it's frustrating and you want to start, but we were all in your shoes once. everyone has to hurry up and wait for one thing or another, sorry your reason happens to be BOLTC, but welcome to the Navy. everyone was stashed, everyone sat around waiting for API/Primary/Advanced, it's something you're going to have to get used to in the military training environment. if you're this hot and bothered about waiting to class up for API, you're probably going to explode once you finally start and have to wait around for weather, IP's, or just backups in the pipelines. get used to it or get black shoes, I hear they class up right away.

torpedo0126

you can say what you want, but i know in my heart that obama will fix this... ;-)

i guess this wait will justify me spending $150+ to get mlb extra innings just to watch the Cubs