• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Help with BOLTC--now known as DIVOLC

torpedo0126

Hello,

I've finally made it to Pensacola after sitting as a NROTC stash for six months--only to find out that I might be sitting around for another 4-5 before classing up for API.

The big part of the wait is due to the relatively new requirement to complete the Division Officers Leadership Course. You must take it before classing up for API. The classes are small and there are only a certain amount of pilot/NFO slots per class.

I am sick and tired of waiting so I've explored taking the class at one of the Navy CNLs. I found the POCs for leadership courses at Norfolk and San Diego.

Can anyone offer any advice on this? Could I possibly take the course elsewhere? Taking leave or TAD is not a problem...maybe someone even knows how to give me the hookup?

Thanks

Bevo16

pilot
I know it can be frustrating to wait, but you will be busting you ass in no time and wishing that you could just have a weekend without having to study.

Look south. There is a beach there. I'll bet that there are some unattached women in the zip code. Good fishing and hunting in the area too.

Relax. You will class up when you class up.

torpedo0126

I understand that but right now im on schedule for not doing anything for a year. im tired of doing stash work. i don't even mind waiting all that much, but i would like to make progress. DIVOLC is five days long...still tons of time to enjoy the beach and the local dive bars

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
stop. complaining. now.

there are those of us who would kill to do nothing for 5 days a week again. then two more.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Good things come to those that wait. If you are in a hurry, I hear there are lots of NUKE openings available immediately.

-ea6bflyr ;)

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
Stashed for a year? I knew the Marines were backed up, but what's the deal?

gotta_fly

pilot
Taking it in Pensacola is worth it, as it's taught with a definite aviation slant. If you take it at a giant SWO enclave you're going to be taught how to be a SWO div-o.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Taking it in Pensacola is worth it, as it's taught with a definite aviation slant. If you take it at a giant SWO enclave you're going to be taught how to be a SWO div-o.

I'm kind of insterested in how you got an "aviation slant" in your class? When I took it in Pensacola, back in March, it was taught primarily by a SWO and we mainly followed "Ensign Me" around a ship and talked through different situations that could occur on a boat. I didn't really feel any aviation slant, but if they've changed it now thats awesome.

torpedo0126

i mean its really easy to say how nice it is to have nothing to do. i felt the same way the first two months of being stashed. but after awhile having nothing to do sucks a lot.

you can't get another job, working out (unless you REALLY enjoy it) only takes up so much time, and you would be hard pressed to find someone who doesn't get bored of the beach.

i don't think im complaining really...i want to get started on what i set out to do 4.5 years ago...and i think its ridiculous that its being held up by a blow off course that could be just another click through slide show on NKO.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
Probably a blessing in disguise. I didn't get BOLTC before classing up for API.

STUCON caught me last week and said "You know that leave chit you wanted to put up for all the time between now and your winging? Well, don't bother. You're going to DIVOLC instead."

Sweet.

burningfeathers

Reading the grout jokes
Right now the DIVOLTC wait isnt too bad. I was on board for four weeks when I classed up. If you're an NFO you should class up as soon as you're done with all appointments (anthro, NAMI, etc) and IFS.
If you're FO, and IFS complete you can expect DIVOLTC with in four weeks. Pilots are waiting a little longer right now due to the fact that they're pusing FO's right now. None the less if you're on board for six weeks or more, have everything complete and have not classed up then you need to see the LT in Flight Management, because you've fallen through the cracks.

torpedo0126

yea im an SNA though.

whats really sad is the students the LT mentioned who are going on 16 weeks of being in A-Pool and haven't even turned in their medical records.

PhillyPhinest

Xmid:
Nothing much has changed. I got pulled out of Helo BIs a few weeks ago to spend a week at mainside getting a SWOs perspective on leadership. The last day we had a P-3 pilot come in and talk to us for a bit, but that was all. What annoyed me most about the class, aside from pulling me out of training, was how incredibly unproductive and ineffective it seemed.

Bevo16

pilot
i mean its really easy to say how nice it is to have nothing to do. i felt the same way the first two months of being stashed. but after awhile having nothing to do sucks a lot.

I have your solution:

http://www.sacred-heart.org/childrenshospital/

Go to the local children's hospital and tell them that you want to volunteer at their "Child Life" department. I can promise you that there are kids there who have both parents working and they are sitting in their rooms all day with nobody to talk to or play with. Some of them are going through chemotherapy, or recovering from surgery, and they just want someone to interact with.

Not only will it be fulfilling, and do some good for the community, but public service is a great bullet for an ensign eval.

torpedo0126

i already volunteer as a Big Brother and I am attempting to get involved with making meals for Meals on Wheels.

I promise I am not as much as a dirt bag as I am coming across as.