• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Help Wanted / Jobs Thread

nodropinufaka

First off, this isn’t a GS job, it’s NM pay band 5, which is probably equivalent to GS 14-15. That’s why the salary range is so wide. Pay banded civilian systems generally (not always) have more pay-for-performance and bonuses built into the structure.

Lastly, competitiveness vs a totally alien organization is in the eye of the beholder. Salary isn’t everything. Plenty of people would rather teach to US military test pilots than whoever ends up enrolling in some private or state university. Plenty of people would rather work alongside fellow DoD civilians and veterans than whoever is on the faculty at some college.
Sure. I am not really disagreeing with any of that.

Just stating the pay seems low for that level or responsibility.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
Sure. I am not really disagreeing with any of that.

Just stating the pay seems low for that level or responsibility.
While I have great respect for the CAI role, understand that USNTPS pushes only 72 students per year through the long course (48 weeks). I don't know how many folks go through the short course (2 weeks), but this isn't like a Dean of such-n-such School of Engineering with hundreds of students and many more dollars in tuition.

IMO, the position comes with many intangible, untradeable benefits -- the people, mission, travel, consulting, etc.

Someone could correct me on this, but I think there's also a limit on the GS pay grade based on the CO's rank. In the case of USNTPS, I'd guess the Technical Director and CAI report to NAWCAD (1-star) to avoid that limit, but you're not gonna have an SES sitting in a 100-sqft office taking orders from an O-5.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Someone could correct me on this, but I think there's also a limit on the GS pay grade based on the CO's rank. In the case of USNTPS, I'd guess the Technical Director and CAI report to NAWCAD (1-star) to avoid that limit, but you're not gonna have an SES sitting in a 100-sqft office taking orders from an O-5.
I thought the whole cutoff protocol-wise was that a GS-15 is basically an O-6 equivalent, while any SES is the government civilian version of a GOFO with at least one star. Any time I've seen an SES on a the org chart of a three- or four-star commander's staff, that's the impression I've gotten.

nodropinufaka

I thought the whole cutoff protocol-wise was that a GS-15 is basically an O-6 equivalent, while any SES is the government civilian version of a GOFO with at least one star. Any time I've seen an SES on a the org chart of a three- or four-star commander's staff, that's the impression I've gotten.
I always wondered- how flag officers view SES/DISL individuals.

I don’t think any flag would view them as their equivalent.

Pags

N/A
pilot
That happens? In the DOD?
Yes.

GS is kind of equivalent to rank...but the pay scale is also used to give higher pay to more experienced/technical people (think like a DCO Doctor). A lot of positional authority goes in to it.

Some of what goes into determining the GS level for a position is who you interact with, the level of experience required (then more of a pay bump than a tank bump), who you supervise. To the latter this role is the supervisor for the rest of the civilian academic staff. Most of whom are probably at the 14 level. I'm sure there will be no shortage of good applicants as it is such a unique role.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
That happens? In the DOD?
Yes.
Generally:
PAS/PA = above GO/FO/SES/SL/ST level; you will never have a PAS/PA report to a GO/FO/SES, they only report to another PAS/PA or POTUS/VPOTUS
SES/SL/ST = GO/FO
O6 = 15
O5 = 14
O4 and below = 13 and below, it pretty much breaks down after that though
There are notable exceptions when you introduce senior enlisted, e.g. MCPON

If the agency or career field uses a pay band system, pay bands often group GS levels together, e.g. 14-15 being the top band, 11-13 journeyman, 08-10 entry level.

Congress does not use the GS system, so authority is derived from positional title plus the member or office you work for.

I don’t have a good handle on what the Judiciary does.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Yes.

Generally:
PAS/PA = above GO/FO/SES/SL/ST level; you will never have a PAS/PA report to a GO/FO/SES, they only report to another PAS/PA or POTUS/VPOTUS
SES/SL/ST = GO/FO
O6 = 15
O5 = 14
O4 and below = 13 and below, it pretty much breaks down after that though
There are notable exceptions when you introduce senior enlisted, e.g. MCPON

If the agency or career field uses a pay band system, pay bands often group GS levels together, e.g. 14-15 being the top band, 11-13 journeyman, 08-10 entry level.

Congress does not use the GS system, so authority is derived from positional title plus the member or office you work for.

I don’t have a good handle on what the Judiciary does.
And pay banding systems are still tied to the GS system. You'll see them on many USAJobs postings such as NM, NH, DP, etc. The FAA has their own pay bands that I think are alphabetical. Pay band and different systems provide a way for the agency to evaluate and recognize employee performance. For instance, in my pay system, I have to submit a twice annual FITREP like report that then gets ranked against my peers to determine payout. High performers see returns in more rapidly increasing pay and bonuses. This also allows agencies to move people up within the GS step system more rapidly than the traditional GS step increase timeframe of 1 step every three years. Although jobs can fit within bands there are often other controls. For instance, DP-05 is a pay scale that covers the 14-15 pay scale. But there's often a "control point" that caps the pay at 14 for roles that don't rate the 15 pay due to org structure, agency high grade restrictions, etc.