• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Help Wanted / Jobs Thread

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
Once in a lifetime job opening. I think this position comes up once every few decades.
Losing a great dude to retirement from that position. It's highly unlikely they pick his replacement from outside the schoolhouse, but they have to offer it.

I'd love to do it, but I'm accepting my O-5 promotion tomorrow. Maybe when the next guy retires.

@ChuckMK23, the current TPS CAI is also an H-46 bubba. (The safety officer is too.)

BarryD

Contributor
Point to a Post-Major-Command Ashore Captain that made Admiral….i think those are unicorns. Not gonna say it will never happen, but the odds are extremely low.

View attachment 32347
The Base COs that are selected for flag go into the Region/CNIC Flag billets it looks like. CNRSW, CNRSE, and CNIC (former CNRSW) are all former Base COs.

nodropinufaka

Low? The average Think Tank pay for a good internationalist is $60K, the average pay for a full professor non-STEM Ph.D. averages $99K…don’t be puttin’ on airs.

I’m non stem faculty in a university think tank and am at 120k benefits. and I’m very junior and don’t hold a PhD.

99k maybe for a brand new fresh PhD grad.

Our Department Faculty Chairs are well over 250k.

if that position is similar to a faculty chair- pay seems low.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
I’m non stem faculty in a university think tank and am at 120k benefits. and I’m very junior and don’t hold a PhD.

99k maybe for a brand new fresh PhD grad.

Our Department Faculty Chairs are well over 250k.

if that position is similar to a faculty chair- pay seems low.
So? This is a GS position. You can’t compare it to private sector pay.

nodropinufaka

So? This is a GS position. You can’t compare it to private sector pay.
I understand that. I was a prior GS-13.

I more or less mean it seems like an academic position and the pay for it isn’t competitive with other academic positions.

Isn’t there a way for certain federal jobs to be exempt from the pay process of GS scales?

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot

I more or less mean it seems like an academic position and the pay for it isn’t competitive with other academic positions.

Isn’t there a way for certain federal jobs to be exempt from the pay process of GS scales?
I would not say "exempt" - but rather significantly deviated from standard GS scales - depending on the skills and expertise required of the role. Yes. Pilot GS jobs are a great example of this.

Pags

N/A
pilot

I think your quoted $250K for a university is towards the far end of the spectrum. A quick Google tells me the median income is lower. Also TPS is a small and very unique schoolhouse. If you note the posting doesn't require a PhD but it does require some very specific background in flight test. Basically, equating it directly salary wise with a university chair isn't honest.

Also, as you know from your GS time, OPM would argue that the full compensation package is equivalent to industry pay due to pension, leave, etc.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Speaking of GS stuff - any thoughts on Long Term Care (FLTCIP) - worth the cost / benefit?

Hair Warrior

Contributor

First off, this isn’t a GS job, it’s NM pay band 5, which is probably equivalent to GS 14-15. That’s why the salary range is so wide. Pay banded civilian systems generally (not always) have more pay-for-performance and bonuses built into the structure.

Lastly, competitiveness vs a totally alien organization is in the eye of the beholder. Salary isn’t everything. Plenty of people would rather teach to US military test pilots than whoever ends up enrolling in some private or state university. Plenty of people would rather work alongside fellow DoD civilians and veterans than whoever is on the faculty at some college.