• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Helos or Jets

MasterBates

You want to go to the airlines: P3s
You want to go to sea: Helos
You want boat and per diem? COD

The per diem is not what it used to be according to my buds in the VP community. Needed mission, but I wouldn't want to do it.

Land on boat, not at night and get per diem? That I can dig.

Pags

N/A
pilot
You want to go to the airlines: P3s
You want to go to sea: Helos
You want boat and per diem? COD

The per diem is not what it used to be according to my buds in the VP community. Needed mission, but I wouldn't want to do it.

Land on boat, not at night and get per diem? That I can dig.

I get boat (night included, yay!) and per diem. Here's to being land based...

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
... The Matrix ....

Alternatively ..... you can:

Go really, really fast, go to the BOAT, land on it day & night, do NOT collect per diem, do NOT fly HELO's, and be on the tip of the spear .... all of which would make you:

A fixed wing, tactical flyin', apple pie, hot dog, Chevrolet, Mother-lovin' son of a gun Naval Aviator. Which is what I signed up for ... :D

dsc01952uf5.jpg

Photo by A4sForever

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
I don't think P-3s is the best airline route anymore...

PIC is the name of the game... It is better to fly something that is instant PIC (Aircraft Commander)..

Plus interviewers love stories of flying around the boat.....

E-6s, I suppose, would be good if you can build enough PIC time.. But if you really want positive rate gear up, autopilot on there is plenty of time for that when you get to the airlines...

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Alternatively ..... you can:

Go really, really fast, go to the BOAT, land on it day & night, do NOT collect per diem, do NOT fly HELO's, and be on the tip of the spear .... all of which would make you:

A fixed wing, tactical flyin', apple pie, hot dog, Chevrolet, Mother-lovin' son of a gun Naval Aviator. Which is what I signed up for ... :D

Photo by A4sForever

+1 :D

incubus852

pilot
In the end (in my little experience), when you ask a tailhook guy why he likes tailhook, he tells you about all the great parts and why it's amazing... pretty similar story with helos.

But, when you ask a P3 bubba if he would pick P3s again or what's the best part about P3s, they often respond with something like "well, the plane is broke as hell and the FOs ruin the community but hey we get per diem." Instead of selling you on the good parts, they attempt to soften the lame parts.

Pretty sure I didn't sign up to make tons of cash...

And rog on that apple pit hot dog crap, but someone's gotta fly the other stuff.

plc67

pilot
I read somewhere,maybe it was popasmoke,you can be at the tip of the spear and fly helos. Granted if I was a 7599,I'm going back 38 years on that one so I may be off, I'd be putting in for the V-22 pipeline.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
But, when you ask a P3 bubba if he would pick P3s again or what's the best part about P3s, they often respond with something like "well, the plane is broke as hell and the FOs ruin the community but hey we get per diem." Instead of selling you on the good parts, they attempt to soften the lame parts.

Most tend to sell the fact that you get to go and see lots of places, see cool stuff mission-wise, fly low overwater, get some serious hours, maybe get to fly a new airplane before your commitment is up, and only sleep on a boat on your sea tour. Takes all kinds.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Most tend to sell the fact that you get to go and see lots of places, see cool stuff mission-wise, fly low overwater, get some serious hours, maybe get to fly a new airplane before your commitment is up, and only sleep on a boat on your sea tour. Takes all kinds.

Are you friggin kidding me?? Cuz I've heard pretty much the exact opposite. With airframes being kept airborne by duct tape and maintenance crews kicking black boxes, I've heard birds and hours are hard to come by currently... maybe it was just bad gouge from bitter war-pig bubbas...

Paging SCOOBER!

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Are you friggin kidding me?? Cuz I've heard pretty much the exact opposite. With airframes being kept airborne by duct tape and maintenance crews kicking black boxes, I've heard birds and hours are hard to come by currently... maybe it was just bad gouge from bitter war-pig bubbas...

Paging SCOOBER!

Kicking boxes/hitting valves etc... I'd be surprised if that isn't standard maintenance practice around the fleet. And yes I've been asked to leave the flight station to go back into the tube to kick something when the IFT was busy trying to fix something else.

If your going to pick a community based on the amount of hours you are going to get for the airlines- do not pick P-3s. Gone are the days of 40hr months on the homecycle and 1800hr first tours. The norm that I've seen on homecycle is typically between 15-20hrs a month (pilot time). High hours guys are leaving with approx 1300hrs- the norm is closer to 1000hrs. Of course there are exceptions to this depending on how many deployments/surges you get, and where you get sent to. For example. I got about 350 on my first deployment, and know others who got 100 (in 7 months) and mid 400s. All 3 of us were on different deployments. I've also had a couple of 8hr months on the home cycle as well. Its hit or miss really.

Also, if you are picking just for the per diem- don't. The days of every deployment site having great per diem are gone. I can only think of 3 major sites right now that aren't 3.50/day currently... and only one is a full time deployment site- the 2nd alternates between a deployment and surge site, and the 3rd is surge only, and that changes periodically. Once again- hit or miss.

As for it beings the FOs who are ruining the community... its the self sustaining mentality of having to make things more difficult then they need to be out of principle that I find the be the most detracting thing about the community. And its both Pilots and FOs who are guilty of it. Wether it be having 4 full blown NATOPS exams a year and other quizzing, super in-depth training presentations filled with stuff you don't really need to know systems wise, ever increasing GMTs and command surveys, writing hazreps over anything/everything abnormal for "tracking purposes" and writing/rewriting excel trackers to show the same things in different ways to please the wing.

Unfortunately thats the cost of doing business. I'm certain there is bullshit in every community that has to be put up with. With us now having 7 listed core primary missions (or something crazy like that), 18-month "home" cycles, and decreased flight time due to HONA/Red Stripe, opportunity abounds for work to be created for the sole purpose of making people look better and making the community look good on paper.

Like I said, that stuff is the price you pay for good stuff... I'll take an all JO crew and any det site without the front office hanging around-thank you. Drinking with friends/crew mates in random ass places in the world (drinking is a highlight everywhere), sampling local cuisine, checking out the local talent/sites when they exist, watching Coastie helos shoot up drug runners, VBSS teams boarding ships, flying low and rigging ships, localizing and tracking real submarines, international exercises, watching the sun rise and set over all corners of the globe, supporting missions on the ground, combat approaches, and some other stuff that won't be talked about here. Those are the things that stand out in my memories.

If you get selected for P-3s (or any other community that isn't your first choice for that matter) try not to be bitter and make the best of it. There will be times that suck. When they do think of the big picture and remember why you chose to serve. There will be times that make all the bullshit worth it- savior those moments. That is going to be the same whether you want to be in the community or not. It is possible do well for yourself even if you didn't show up wanting to be there. Take care of your Es and don't backstab your fellow JOs. Give the O-4s shit when you can get away with it. Figure out what the big stuff is, and master it. Don't sweat the small stuff- and its mostly small stuff.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
In the end (in my little experience), when you ask a tailhook guy why he likes tailhook, he tells you about all the great parts and why it's amazing... pretty similar story with helos.

Pretty sure I didn't sign up to make tons of cash...

And rog on that apple pit hot dog crap, but someone's gotta fly the other stuff.

There are idiots in every community, including P-3's, helo's and.......gasp......even in Fighter/Attack, so don't waste your time listening to the haters.

What many of you non-P-3/flight student/wannabe types don't realize is that the VP types are doing some very good work in support of the ground guys in OIF and OEF. They get to see and do plenty of 'cool' stuff too, a lot more than you newbies realize, and not just wander around the open ocean looking for some random merchantman.