• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Helos or Jets

Immy

Ahhh I see, thanks for helping me out on that one. :)

Btw...by ass to aircraft ratio what do you mean? Kinda went over my head.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
ass to aircraft ratio=the planned number of pilots assigned to a platform vs. the number of aircraft that exist. Strike aircraft have 1 pilot/aircraft. Helos have 2.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Ahhh I see, thanks for helping me out on that one. :)

Btw...by ass to aircraft ratio what do you mean? Kinda went over my head.

Look at it this way:

A 10 aircraft Harrier squadron would have about 15 pilots.

A 10 aircraft phrog squadron would have about 30 pilots.

These numbers are just a swag.....not actual data. It varies quite a bit. Plus there are the cats and dogs like Warrant Officers, IntelO, MMCO, etc.

This is why a chopper squadron has a deputy assistant Tool Room officer, and a Harrier squadron has a first tour new guy as the S-4. Same minimum amount of jobs, less people.

Bolter

pilot
I am but a lowly harrier replacement pilot, so I don't know much. What I do know is that you are going to spend about 3-4 hours per week flying your A/C as opposed to the 50-70 hours per week you will spend on your ground job. You can argue either side until you are blue in the face, but it doesn't really matter when you've got a "good deal" IA billet waiting for you at the end of the RAG :)

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
What I do know is that you are going to spend about 3-4 hours per week flying your A/C as opposed to the 50-70 hours per week you will spend on your ground job.

:eek: Are you serious? What on earth do you do in your ground job? Fashion Scarrier parts from iron ore?

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
:eek: Are you serious? What on earth do you do in your ground job? Fashion Scarrier parts from iron ore?

Being at work != "doing your ground job"

Just because you work 50-60 hrs per week does NOT mean you are actively involved with ground job-related tasking. If so, you are doing something seriously wrong.

For some reason, it is fashionable to wear work hours like a badge of honor. I will never understand that. Do your job, complete the mission, go the hell home.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
For some reason, it is fashionable to wear work hours like a badge of honor.

...aaaaand that's what we call "being a Shoe". If you find yourself hanging around until the XO leaves and making sure he sees you? You're being a Shoe.

V/R,

Fester

(very ex-Shoe)

Crowbar

None
For some reason, it is fashionable to wear work hours like a badge of honor.

It goes on your fitrep, right?

0-59 hours/week=B for Performance
60-64 hours/week=C
65-69 hours/week=D
70-74 hours/week=E
75-79 hours/week=F
80+ hours/week=G

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
It goes on your fitrep, right?

0-59 hours/week=B for Performance
60-64 hours/week=C
65-69 hours/week=D
70-74 hours/week=E
75-79 hours/week=F
80+ hours/week=G

And that is why it's referred to as your "fitrep-enhancing ground job" vice "ground job."

We're retarded.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
And that is why it's referred to as your "fitrep-enhancing ground job" vice "ground job."

We're retarded.

Squeeze, if you ever break the 20 hour mark (that's per week of work, not per day of rack ops)..........then you can bitch.:D

I weep for the future of QA.

When you become the MO, then you'll have the 60-70 hour weeks and still have to quit in the middle of something to go home.

Crowbar

None
Squeeze, I'm sure at least one O'Bannonite, maybe a Gravesie or two, have already used a government issued ink pen to document the hours to fitrep marking scale in the back of a green notebook.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Being at work != "doing your ground job"

Just because you work 50-60 hrs per week does NOT mean you are actively involved with ground job-related tasking. If so, you are doing something seriously wrong.

For some reason, it is fashionable to wear work hours like a badge of honor. I will never understand that. Do your job, complete the mission, go the hell home.

Unfortunately, there are times and squadrons where putting in the hours is necessary. While I agree w/ your sentiment about wearing the hours badge, I've also used the badge when certain no-load nuggets started talking about how I needed to do something for them after they showed up at 9 and left at 3. If you don't have a job, then sure, work the flex hours, but don't sluff off work to others who are obviously doing more than you.

My personal "favorite" was a new 2P who was the PAO running around telling all the maint. Divos how busy she was after we had all been working 6 days a week for 10-12 hours a day. I think she was told to remove herself from our presence.